WMGM is losing its NBC affiliation.

CircleSeven

WMGM is one of the rare instances, I think, where being acquired by Sinclair or Nexstar would have been beneficial.

I would tend to agree if it wasn't for Nexstar putting zero investment into WIVT or WDHN, both stations that similar to WMGM have seen scant capital investment since the 1990s.

I look at WHAG--which could have very easily met the same fate WMGM did when their NBC affiliation got pulled earlier this year--but because of Nexstar being such a behemoth, they can as a company afford to invest in more local product.

With WHAG there is a gaping hole for suburban-focused news due to a lack of suburban print that Nexstar can exploit, that and they have to justify having one station take up so much of their 39%. I wonder how they've been doing or if they've been able to get cable carriage closer to DC.

I might make a Speculatron post pertaining to the first paragraph...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would tend to agree if it wasn't for Nexstar putting zero investment into WIVT or WDHN, both stations that similar to WMGM have seen scant capital investment since the 1990s.

With WHAG there is a gaping hole for suburban-focused news due to a lack of suburban print that Nexstar can exploit, that and they have to justify having one station take up so much of their 39%. I wonder how they've been doing or if they've been able to get cable carriage closer to DC.

I might make a Speculatron post pertaining to the first paragraph...

WHAG isn't on Comcast in Arlington County (Virginia side of the DMV...). I believe it has coverage in Montgomery County (Maryland) - not sure about the district...

Archived