WMGM is losing its NBC affiliation.

CircleSeven

B&C state that Atlantic City station, WMGM will lose its NBC affiliation by the end of this year.

This comes after the station was sold by spectrum speculator, LocusPoint Networks.

It was already sad that a speculator comes to your station and wait for it to be cashed in. It's a really big blow for a station that serve a local community like South Jersey, to lose a major affiliation like that. Even if it does overlap with the massive station WCAU.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really a shame to see it go but it really is a VERY CHEAP looking channel.

1) The newscasts are suppose to be HD but do not fill up the whole screen.

2) Their weather graphics could be made better with Power Point.

3) The graphics package used during the newscast is just cheap looking.

It is clearly a local news network that does not have a lot of money to work with. They should just have WCAU (NBC10) in Philly and that's it.

It is clearly a local news network that does not have a lot of money to work with. They should just have WCAU (NBC10) in Philly and that's it.

I agree with all of those reasons, there's no reason whatsoever to have a major affiliated TV station in south New Jersey, I think NBC should not, I repeat NOT! Be in New Jersey, WCAU, and WNBC has New Jersey covered

First, WMGM isn't going anywhere anytime soon. In other words it's not going bankrupt. Or, going off the air...until the incentive auction. They will limp the station along on cheap programming like public domain programming and/or infomercials, etc. The goal is to cash in when they turn in the license.

Second, Comcast/NBCU is going to be made the scapegoat in this. However, I'd bet a considerable amount of money that majority of this lies at the feet of WMGM not wanting to renew the affiliation agreement themselves. Basically, Those reverse compensation payments are going eat into their margins. So, they get rid of them by opting not to renew.

Which brings me to Comcast/NBCU. Unfortunately, they are going to be painted as "Big bad Comcast ripping the affiliation from a small station to help out their big market station(s)." If that really was the case they would have non-renewed WMGM a long time ago. So, if I was Valari Staab I'd work to set up a bureau in Atlantic City. Basically creating a team to cover New Jersey. It could even be joint operation between WNBC/WCAU. This would allow them to avoid any negative PR that might come as result of this. And, if they do it right they could rub Fox's nose in it a bit, too.

So, if I was Valari Staab I'd work to set up a bureau in Atlantic City. Basically creating a team to cover New Jersey. It could even be joint operation between WNBC/WCAU. This would allow them to avoid any negative PR that might come as result of this. And, if they do it right they could rub Fox's nose in it a bit, too.

It would be nice, but do you think they are going to offer jobs to displaced WMGM staffers? Doubt it.

And would WMGM-LP still live on after the incentive auction? Sorry but this seems like a boneheaded move on the part of Access.1 (who still runs the station and owns WMGM-LP, LocusPoint only holds the full-power license). Can't believe you are wanting to rid South Jersey of their lifeline during severe weather...

ulgh you guys

Yeah, man, you're right. 60 people should totally lose their jobs because the weather graphics look cheap.

You realize almost all of the South Jersey stuff you see on 10 comes from 40?

I agree with all of those reasons, there's no reason whatsoever to have a major affiliated TV station in south New Jersey, I think NBC should not, I repeat NOT! Be in New Jersey, WCAU, and WNBC has New Jersey covered

No, they don't. Who covers Ocean County? Trick question. ;)

No, they don't. Who covers Ocean County? Trick question. ;)

They both do. lol

So, if I was Valari Staab I'd work to set up a bureau in Atlantic City. Basically creating a team to cover New Jersey. It could even be joint operation between WNBC/WCAU. This would allow them to avoid any negative PR that might come as result of this.

Umm WCAU has three bureaus in Jersey. One in Trenton for Central NJ, South Jersey, and one for the Jersey Shore. The latter being a joint agreement between WCAU and WMGM. Like I mentioned above WNBC and WCAU both cover Ocean County and will share stories/reporters pertaining to the area when needed. With all that I think all three stations have the state covered for NBC

And would WMGM-LP still live on after the incentive auction?

You raise a very good point here. This could be the dark horse...if the full-power dies off, Access.1 could simply transfer the intellectual unit to the LP and keep things going. That should in theory be a win-win for most folks - South Jersey retains a local TV station with a news operation, and the spectrum speculators get the money they want.

It may not have the best production values.

But the point is that it provides a local service to a region that (according to the US Census) has about 275,000 people. Roughly converting that's 108,000 TV homes, so think DMA 169—enough to support at least one, probably up to two news operations. That is important.

It may not have the best production values.

But the point is that it provides a local service to a region that (according to the US Census) has about 275,000 people. Roughly converting that's 108,000 TV homes, so think DMA 169—enough to support at least one, probably up to two news operations. That is important.

On top of that, there are some places in the Salisbury market (which doesn't have an NBC affiliate) that could pick up WMGM (mostly in Sussex County, Delaware). This is just sad.

They both do. lol

Barely. It's a tragically underserved area. More than half a million people there...Toms River alone has more than twice the population of Atlantic City. It's this weird black hole that either of the three want to touch for whatever reason. There's a lot more news that goes on there that should be reported.

Which brings me to Comcast/NBCU. Unfortunately, they are going to be painted as "Big bad Comcast ripping the affiliation from a small station to help out their big market station(s)." If that really was the case they would have non-renewed WMGM a long time ago. So, if I was Valari Staab I'd work to set up a bureau in Atlantic City. Basically creating a team to cover New Jersey. It could even be joint operation between WNBC/WCAU. This would allow them to avoid any negative PR that might come as result of this. And, if they do it right they could rub Fox's nose in it a bit, too.

I don't know about WNBC, but WCAU covers the Garden State better than any other station. You'll have Cydney Long pop up for something in the Jersey suburbs, Greenberg has his Jersey Shore Bureau beat, Na'eem Douglas is/was on the Trenton beat, and they'll often have Howard Thompson report something from Ocean County. Jersey gets quite a bit of coverage on their newscasts, more than I can see on WPVI.

I do agree - when WMGM gets out of the news business a big hole will be left there. Following the elimination of NJN, there's really no dedicated television station that's doing news in house. (You can make an argument for Chasing New Jersey, but that's being produced by the WTXF general manager's production company.) There is a huge hole, and a market could be created out of it. If it were feasible, perhaps the NY/PHL stations could do something in that overlap area...

Also two NBC stations in the Philadelphia area my ass. DirecTV carries WMGM, but it's never been on any cable service I've had, be it Heritage, Comcast, Xfinity or Verizon. And DirecTV is not an option for television, as I do like local sports and cannot get local sports through them.

Also two NBC stations in the Philadelphia area my ass. DirecTV carries WMGM, but it's never been on any cable service I've had, be it Heritage, Comcast, Xfinity or Verizon. And DirecTV is not an option for television, as I do like local sports and cannot get local sports through them.

Two stations in Philly market. Doesn't mean they're available in every single part of that market, including Philly itself.

I'm pretty sure they're not "supposed to" be in anything but SD. Last I heard, the switcher they have is the

. I can tell you for sure the graphics were delivered in 4:3 SD.

Also, the person who made those graphics visits these forums... :rolleyes:

In that case, small markets like San Angelo should not be covered because Abilene affiliates cover it enough.

Why can't they still cover South Jersey without the NBC affiliation?

Let me clarify: Coverage of NBC programming. Viewers are less likely to watch local news if it's not on a Big-4 affiliated station.

And, here's the demo of their recent graphics package. (I love it!)

https://vimeo.com/80954857

Let me clarify: Coverage of NBC programming. Viewers are less likely to watch local news if it's not on a Big-4 affiliated station.

I live on the other end of the Philly DMA, in the Lehigh Valley. While I prefer 3,6,&10, I will tell you that 95% of the people here locally (we are 50 mins away from Philly) prefer WFMZ 69 for their news, who is not affiliated with any of the Big 4 (or 6) for that matter. They do not care what is going on in Philly or what the weather forecast for Philly is. They don't care about the graphics or news set. The Philly stations will cover one Lehigh Valley story if we're lucky. They don't even have Lehigh Valley designated reporters/correspondents anymore.

Although 16:9 is usually indicative of HD resolution, it's not always the case. It is entirely possible to broadcast in HD with 4:3 framing.

In addition being an NBC affiliate brings valuable advertising revenue and ratings into the station.

Stations have tried to keep up their news operations after losing network affiliations. Some have succeeded. But in smaller markets, the KTRVs, WTVXs, and WJKSs of the world have not fought long with news departments while independent.

Archived