CNN announces new primetime lineup; originals block at 9, straight newscast at 10

Glimmer

New lineup goes:

7pm: Erin Burnett OutFront

8pm: Anderson Cooper 360

9pm: CNN Originals

10pm: CNN Tonight (live nightly newscast with rotating anchors)

In addition, CNN has ordered new shows led by Mike Rowe, Lisa Ling and John Walsh that will be a part of this 9pm block. These moves are at once bold yet also simplistic all at the same time

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/04/10/cnn-announces-new-primetime-schedule/252961/

I could live with this. I'm not thrilled with the permanent reality/doc hour, but the straight newscast is a nice trade-off. I will say, though, the reality programs they've been airing are very well-produced, professional, and not designed for the lowest common denominator viewer (unlike TLC, History, A&E, etc), which is also a plus.

CNN is a revolving door of shows, and it's not surprising that they are pulling primetime news. This is something that I think FOX would never do, seeing as how those pundits make the money. I'd personally like Shepard Smith to reboot the FOX Report at 10 and replace the god-awful Hannity.

A straight newscast airing in primetime on CNN? As much we'd all like it to succeed, there's no way that's going to work. The days of Newsnight with Aaron Brown are long gone. Having rotating anchors won't do the program any favors either. I'm not a betting man, but if I were I'd bet that CNN Tonight will stay on the air for only 6 months tops, and call me a pessimist but I wouldn't be surprised if the program was axed a lot sooner than that.

I don't like the new programming at all. I only watch tv late nights - now I'm getting CNN newsroom at midnight. If I want to watch that, I could just watch CNN International. I'd prefer watching repeats of primetime shows.

Archived