Josh Elliott to Depart ABC News for NBC Sports, Amy Robach Promoted To GMA's News Anchor

tvnewsjunkie

Ryan Smith filled in for Amy today, while she filled in next to George for Robin who is on vacation. Boy, Ryan Smith is always pretty enjoyable when he's there and today he reminded me why this show needs more than one male not to mention he was really funny with Lara. Since Michael isn't full-time on GMA and the show needs to think long-term as well, I really hope that they put RyRy as Lara calls him on the show more often. Ginger was on location this morning but even their chemistry together on GMA Live is pretty good.

Definitely agree but I don't know where you put him unless you expand "GMA" hours which won't happen for at the very least another year or 2. Did you notice the cattiness between Lara and Amy though. They each made such snarky comments whenever the other was reading a tease or after one of them finished a story. You can tell there is definitely beef on that front.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely agree but I don't know where you put him unless you expand "GMA" hours which won't happen for at the very least another year or 2. Did you notice the cattiness between Lara and Amy though. They each made such snarky comments whenever the other was reading a tease or after one of them finished a story. You can tell there is definitely beef on that front.

Didn't notice any of that at all. I heard them remarking in the 7:30 half hour after teasing a story about people trying to attack women or make them feel insecure towards one another and they both said amen to that. Not exactly sure why anyone feels the need to pit these two against one another or believe the speculation, especially when it's coming from TMZ and RadarOnline. Lara and Amy have worked on this show together since 2012 and there's never been a report of tension between them. I will say that Ginger's interactions are lacking at times. Maybe they should position her to cover weather outside with the crowd from the start of the show.

Didn't notice any of that at all. I heard them remarking in the 7:30 half hour after teasing a story about people trying to attack women or make them feel insecure towards one another and they both said amen to that. Not exactly sure why anyone feels the need to pit these two against one another or believe the speculation, especially when it's coming from TMZ and RadarOnline. Lara and Amy have worked on this show together since 2012 and there's never been a report of tension between them. I will say that Ginger's interactions are lacking at times. Maybe they should position her to cover weather outside with the crowd from the start of the show.

It comes from the same pits of Speculative Hell where people think Natalie and Savannah hate each other.

It comes from the same pits of Speculative Hell where people think Natalie and Savannah hate each other.

Yep. Never witnessed any animosity between those two either the few times I've watched their show. People are silly.

Remember, Carson's late night mess is on life support, and the Today arrangement is allegedly the network's way of giving him an outlet should they finally pull the plug.

Please excuse that awful, unintended pun.

Hasn't "Last Call" been on life support since the 2010 Tonight Show fiasco?

As the above poster stated Josh is the one who stated he wanted to go back to sports. So what if he went from sports at ESPN to news at ABC back to sports at NBC doesn't sound like making excuses to me. Quite a few ppl have transitioned from sports to news back to sports. Lets take Robin for example she was at ESPN for several years prior to joining GMA first as news anchor and then her current role as anchor. Say for example she wanted to go back to doing sports and NBC offered her something she just couldn't pass up and she said "I've always wanted to host at the Olympics etc" would you say she's making up excuses too?

Yes. But she wouldn't do that. It's clear she cares more about loyalty and her show than cash and ego.

If there is animosity between Lara and Amy, I could see it being over who fills in for Robin when she is absent, but I really think it's just another case of TMZ's baseless gossip. Or, it could have been planted by NBC. Let the conspiracy theorists run wild...

I didn't quite get my facts straight the first time. Looking back, Carson will be leaving 'Last Call', though a new host could be named.

http://tvline.com/2013/09/12/carson-daly-leaving-last-call-joins-today-show/

Ah. NBC should just dust off their old SCTV tapes and plug those in at 1:35. Or extend Myers' show to 90 minutes.

If there is animosity between Lara and Amy, I could see it being over who fills in for Robin when she is absent, but I really think it's just another case of TMZ's baseless gossip. Or, it could have been planted by NBC. Let the conspiracy theorists run wild...

They should just rotate exactly like they did when Robin was on sick leave. Lara filled in for Robin Monday and Tuesday and Amy filled in for Robin on Friday. Also I hope that ABC follows suit with what they did on Friday whenever Amy isn't there or filling in for Robin they should have Ryan Smith read the news.

Those posts are about him leaving Sea Rescue, not GMA. Apparently ABC removed him, it wasn't his choice.

It was his choice to leave the network, Sea Rescue is an ABC show.

Robin is off on a weeks vacation, Lara is sitting in for her and Gio Benitez is doing Pop News. My bets that they officially announce Michael when she's back Monday.

It was his choice to leave the network, Sea Rescue is an ABC show.

Originally, Sam was to continue at Sea Rescue. What I was saying is the posts on twitter about how "Seems like he's playing into the whole ABC screwed over him" part is not about GMA, it's about Sea Rescue. Apparently is wasn't his choice to leave Sea Rescue, ABC decided to remove him.

Isnt sea rescue a Litton production show. Its also scary that one company literally runs two blocks of programming for major TV networks and in reality there is no real difference in the programming.

Isnt sea rescue a Litton production show. Its also scary that one company literally runs two blocks of programming for major TV networks and in reality there is no real difference in the programming.

And yet the Wizards of Smart at the FCC still think nothing is wrong with the E/I rule.

Hope you all don't mind that I'm kind of going off topic, but does anyone else feel that when Robach was named as the new news anchor that Ron Claiborne got snubbed? He's been on the weekend editions of GMA since they started them. I think it's way past time for him to be promoted.

Hope you all don't mind that I'm kind of going off topic, but does anyone else feel that when Robach was named as the new news anchor that Ron Claiborne got snubbed? He's been on the weekend editions of GMA since they started them. I think it's way past time for him to be promoted.

Now for some corporate speak...

He doesn't fit the "direction" of the show.

Personally, I think that they like having him in a correspondent role versus being tied down to the full-week commitment.

Not really, at least in my opinion, I like Ron but he hasn't filled in or appeared on the weekday edition in years. Amy is such a familiar face to the program so if only made sense that she'd move into a position eventually.

At that point, Robach had already been the primary fill-in anchor on GMA weekday, so it made sense for her to be promoted. You might argue that Claiborne got snubbed from the get-go for not being a regular fill-in anchor on GMA weekday, but since he hasn't have much of a presence on the weekday show, it wouldn't have made sense for him to take over.

This makes far more sense to me than the (still unconfirmed?) Strahan hire. I don't see what else can be squeezed into the first hour of the show before he has to go back uptown for 'Live'.

Archived