Josh Elliott to Depart ABC News for NBC Sports, Amy Robach Promoted To GMA's News Anchor

tvnewsjunkie

Matt Lauer's contract ends at the end of this year. Even if it's posturing or "just in case", moves need to be made. NBC doesn't want to be held-up by Lauer either. Josh is very good at what he does. Who would replace Matt Lauer better? Who would replace George better? I say he.

Discuss.

Yah Know?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as much as people don't like Matt, Matt is the Today Show and will be staying for years to come. NBC doesn't want him gone and I doubt he wants to go. Will he take a pay cut, probably, but I'm sure he knows that and NBC intends to do such.

Also, its been seen multiple times throughout local news and the same can be compared with network news, just because Josh worked at GMA doesn't mean he would at Today. It's all about chemistry and even if Josh likes Matt and Savannah, he won't necessarily "fit in."

Exactly. The chemistry that this team had at GMA was like lighting in a bottle and it's foolish to think that the chemistry could be as perfect as it once was with only certain members of that team together. Sam and Josh's "bromance" was nice but it was something special when Lara was added into the mix with them. Remember when Chris left the show and everyone commented on how magical his bromance was with Sam? Obviously a genuine on air friendship can be formed between people, and I'm glad to see that from watching GMA Live over the past few months Lara, Ginger and Amy's on air chemistry and relationships are already starting to grow and hopefully once this new male anchor is added he will serve as the perfect compliment for that. Personally I think the Today program is very typecast and the show goes after certain types to feel the spots, Tom, Bryant, and Matt all have very stout news backgrounds and can balance the calm and cool at ease. Josh is not that type of presenter, Willie is. As far as who would be the best replacement for George in the coming years honestly only time can really tell, hopefully ABC can build up a strong male anchor in the next 3 years on the program who can step in for George when the time comes. As for Matt, Willie and Lester seem to be much better options for leaders of that program. I myself will be a bit pissed if they don't assign Lester or Willie to the spot, Lester especially.

I'm just gonna put this here just because.

It really annoys me when people refer to NBC as just NBC.

Every time someone at the network makes a move, whether good or bad, it always just NBC, and barely the person's name gets thrown around. Every time a new TV show is either announced or cancelled, NBC. Every time our good friends at Today is up in scandal, NBC. It's like a stupid reflex. But if the other networks get talked around here when an exec makes a move, he or she is referred by by name as much as the network's name. The only exception, I guess, is Jeff Zucker, who you all love to mention so much.

It seems like here (and other websites too), if we all just think that 100+ people (instead of just a few) make the same one decision at a time. Yes, the network had a bad several years, but that all ended 2-3 years ago. And not everything in the NBCUniversal umbrella messed up at the same time. And the fact that Disney as a company gets mention a lot here, while the times NBCUniversal gets mentioned I can barely put past my fingers and toes, is really messed up to me.

I'm not gonna force you all to stop this, but I'm putting it out there.

Oh by the by, that FTVL analysis isn't that good to me. And the MLB Opening Day references are kinda corny.

I wish Josh the best at NBC Sports.

I'm having the hardest time following exactly what your upset about. Are you saying you're upset that NBC gets mentioned, instead of just the people who are involved in decisions? Even so how does that at all pertain to this forum and discussion?

I'm having the hardest time following exactly what your upset about. Are you saying you're upset that NBC gets mentioned, instead of just the people who are involved in decisions? Even so how does that at all pertain to this forum and discussion?

I don't get it either, if we refer to them by name or NBC who cares, as long as we can figure out who we mean it's no big deal.

He's saying there's an unusually vocal contingent that just loves NBC bashing every chance they get and they've been around since the Zucker/GE era. Now that neither are running things anymore, they don't know who to whip on any more so they just collectively say NBC (or in some cases Comcast another whipping boy on this board). Sorta understandable cause Steve Burke (who runs NBC now) isn't the household name that Les Moonves at CBS or Rupert Murdoch at FOX are.

I personally love NBC Nightly News and MTP. Friends, Seinfeld, Frasier and Will & Grace are a few of my favorite shows. I have no problem with NBC. Now I can admit that I don't care for their morning program and Matt, those reasons being based on the way they treated Ann Curry and for their latest desperate attempts to tear down GMA. However I'm not an NBC or even Today basher for that matter. If someone finds fault in something that any of the networks are doing, who should they place the anger with??

Michael Strahan reportedly joining Good Morning America.

No offense, but on this day where everybody and their dog is jumping on the April Fools bandwagon (to the point of obnoxiousness :beat:), source it or it didn't happen.

Just sayin'. :)

Well, whatdaya know?

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/01/news/companies/michael-strahan-abc/

I think this a great choice. According to reports this is also an effort to connect GMA to LIVE where they air right next to each other in most markets something that I felt should have happened decades ago. Also the story suggest that this has been in the works for months making me wonder if this was going to happen regardless of whether or not Josh stayed. I love this choice!

Not liking this. Wonder if it will lead to him leaving FOX NFL Sunday. I wonder if we'll soon see Kelly showing up on GMA?

When it comes to Kelly, maybe she will pop up once in a while but I don't think she will be a main stay like Michael would be in this scenario.

And sources stress that he will not replace any of the current anchors; he's expected to appear often, though not five days a week.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/michael-strahan-join-good-morning-692851

I think it makes a lot of sense to have GMA and Live basically join forces, but I don't expect Kelly to show up on GMA because that basically blurs the lines between the two programs. Honestly Robin and Michael are perfect together and they always seem to have a good time when I see her filling in for Kelly. I think it should be made clear that Michael isn't going to be doing news or politics on this show, he'll basically be another feature anchor. In my opinion this is genius, most media critics seem to be saying the same.

Not liking this. Wonder if it will lead to him leaving FOX NFL Sunday. I wonder if we'll soon see Kelly showing up on GMA?

Why would it??? He does mondays at LIVE after NFL. He'll just have to get to work earlier. Did anyone else remember when they saw this today KLG at GMA and LIVE when LIVE first went on air?"

I don't want to take away from this discussion but I never understood why ABC doesn't make Live part of ABC Mornings at 9am rather than a syndie.

I'd assume it hasn't happened yet because Live still has many long-term legacy clearances on non-ABC affiliates.

But if ABC moves Live onto the network as GMA's de facto third hour within 1-2 years, I wouldn't be shocked.

Why would it??? He does mondays at LIVE after NFL. He'll just have to get to work earlier. Did anyone else remember when they saw this today KLG at GMA and LIVE when LIVE first went on air?"

Wasn't thinking from a time perspective, but rather from ABC/ESPN/Disney wanting him only to appear on their platforms.

Why Michael is the black Ryan Seacrest and why this is only the beginning of Michael's TV takeover http://jmanmediazone.blogspot.com/2014/04/michael-strahan-is-black-ryan-seacrest.html

I'd assume it hasn't happened yet because Live still has many long-term legacy clearances on non-ABC affiliates.

But if ABC moves Live onto the network as GMA's de facto third hour within 1-2 years, I wouldn't be shocked.

I agree although from what I heard syndication is way more advantageous because there's 2 streams of revenue, the station's license fee and advertising although I doubt Kelly or Michael are getting any share of their station's license fees like Oprah did or like what Wendy Williams, Ellen, Steve Harvey, Dr. Phil etc. get. Neither Kelly's nor Michael's production companies are associated with the show.

Whenever their next contract is up, I'm sure ABC will have to make a choice between giving them a share in ownership/production of the show or major salary increases. Because of Strahan's connections with Fox and the lack of a national show on Fox, they could use Fox as leverage whenever that time comes. A 9 a.m. national show wouldn't impede on the local news shows which Fox affiliates are already committed to.

Archived