Josh Elliott to Depart ABC News for NBC Sports, Amy Robach Promoted To GMA's News Anchor

tvnewsjunkie

I agree with your statement, what I'm unsure about is how Michael and Tony can fit into a 2 hour program which already has a 5 person ensemble cast. Maybe Michael's role will be more of a contributing correspondent than an anchor as I don't see what he could really "anchor" during the first hour. One report said he'll record segments for the second hour but then what's the point? Tony is definitely a more sensible hire but Strahan also has the mass appeal so in a sense his role on GMA is sensible as well. Maybe since Michael will work 2-3 days a week, Tony will be there the other days? This is getting messy.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling Strahan will be more of a contributor, with a semi-regular spot on the couch, and not a "sixth man" like it originally sounded. I think we all may have gotten that impression because it leaked just after Josh left. As for Tony, it doesn't sound like this is an occasional role. He'll be there everyday.

Interesting. I sort of figured Social Square would be Lara's "thing." Guess not.

Lara's new contract will make her the primary fill in for Robin as well as expanding her roles throughout the news division so maybe she had to give this up or something?

Last time I watched GMA (a couple days ago) They had Gio doing the social room/square whatever they are calling it, and hosting GMA Live. Is he still going to be hosting GMA live? Or was this just a temp thing until they can find someone permanent to do the social thing?

Last time I watched GMA (a couple days ago) They had Gio doing the social room/square whatever they are calling it, and hosting GMA Live. Is he still going to be hosting GMA live? Or was this just a temp thing until they can find someone permanent to do the social thing?

He was reporting on twitter responses to the NCAA championship game in the Social Square I believe, which Josh most likely would have done if he was there. He was filling in for Lara the last three days and he knows his sports like Josh, so they assigned the games to him. Everyone but George uses the social square for various segments. As far as GMA Live he has been hosting a lot so I'm pretty sure he's become a regular with Ginger Zee and Sara Haines.

Lara's new contract will make her the primary fill in for Robin as well as expanding her roles throughout the news division so maybe she had to give this up or something?

Good point. Forgot about the other terms of her new contract.

I'm just putting this out there, but I feel that, because of these recent hires, it's become more like GMA is becoming more desperate to stay #1 than Today is to take back #1. I don't know; I just have this feeling.

NBC's recent hiring of two GMA's major talents in the last few months and making offers to Robin and Lara last year shows just how desperate they are. If you could explain a little bit more how it's desperate to add new faces to the show to replace those who have left? GMA just lost big talents and are going through a time of strengthening right now and that's perfectly fine. The plans to have Michael on the show have been in the works since last year after he sat in for Robin one day. I wouldn't call it desperation, they're just evolving and trying new things, which is good to see because for a long time this show had been incredibly stale.

Archived