Josh Elliott to Depart ABC News for NBC Sports, Amy Robach Promoted To GMA's News Anchor

tvnewsjunkie

Props to ABC for not giving into Josh's outlandish demand. Ego and money clearly were more important to him than loyalty to the man who brought him to center stage, being part of the #1 morning show, and the clear potential to take over for George and ascend the ranks of ABC.

This will prove to be an even greater test than with Sam's departure of whether people are glued to the personalities or the GMA brand. The brand certainly won the test of Robin's extended medical leave and the test of Sam's departure.

It will be interesting to see who replaces Amy as primary substitute. A male, I would have to assume. Gio Benitez?

Lester would be the biggest punch in the gut to NBC but he is not full of himself so he probably won't go. My guess is Natalie, Hoda, Willie or Ann but I don't see ABC allowing NBC to just steal talent like they have recently.

I don't know what Lester's deal is, but he's made it known that he'd like to be in a more prominent role than his current one. He's like the David Muir of NBC -- very good and well-liked, but overworked and placed everywhere but in the big-ticket roles. He'd be a great hire for ABC but they'd have to offer him more prominence than he has on NBC, which doesn't seem likely. There's no room for him.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is more proof that ABC isn't willing to spend the cash that NBC is spending. Thus, ABC's losses are NBC's gains. ABC runs a very cheap frugal operation, and don't expect that to change any time soon.

PS, how do we know Josh's "demands" were "outrageous"? When did ABC News Press Releases become the gospel? In the grand scheme of things, what he was asking for was not that much if you consider how much money Network Morning Shows bring in.

The general consensus I'm getting here is that:

1) He was silly for leaving ABC

2) He has an incredibly ego

3) He possibly ruined/damaged/set back his future

4) He won't add much to NBC

5) This is more of NBC trying to take apart Good Morning America by literally buying some of their popular personalities

6) NBC is an asshole for doing so and deserves "karma" for their actions (namely in the form of ABC stealing away some key NBC personalities)

5) This is more of NBC trying to take apart Good Morning America by literally buying some of their popular personalities

6) NBC is an asshole for doing so and deserves "karma" for their actions (namely in the form of ABC stealing away some key NBC personalities)

ABC should steal Hoda for The View.

This is more proof that ABC isn't willing to spend the cash that NBC is spending. Thus, ABC's losses are NBC's gains. ABC runs a very cheap frugal operation, and don't expect that to change any time soon.

PS, how do we know Josh's "demands" were "outrageous"? When did ABC News Press Releases become the gospel? In the grand scheme of things, what he was asking for was not that much if you consider how much money Network Morning Shows bring in.

Asking to make more than George? Keep in mind all Josh does is read the headlines twice throughout the show, provide a 30 second clip of the day and then contribute comments. George works two sometimes three shows.

According to this article in the New York Daily News, Josh Elliott was asking for $10 million a year, while ABC was only willing to put up $5 million.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/josh-elliott-leaving-good-morning-america-nbc-sports-sources-article-1.1739885

That is an increase from $1 million per year... that would be some pay raise.

All kidding aside, I'd guess that any return of 'Good Afternoon America' is dead and gone.

I don't know if it's dead but it means it won't be the same as the trial 2 summers ago. Heck, the GMA Live team is great, I'm sure if they wanted to, they can figure out a good team for GAA.

ABC should steal Hoda for The View.

Hoda recently signed a new deal with NBC so It doesn't seem she's going to the view (although she would be great, I still think Katie Couric is just waiting for Barbara Walters to retire.)

NBC seems really good at preventing talent from defecting to other networks, primarily because they are willing to pay them what they want, just look at Lauer's 25 Million paycheck. (Which even I think is a little much)

I agree about Josh Elliot's ego and the fact that he probably won't add too much to NBC Sports but, your acting like nbc is doing some personal, underhanded thing here. For starters, if ABC were willing to spend the money to keep their own talent on the current #1 morning show, I'm sure they would pay for people such as Lestor, Tamron, Willie, etc. In this business however, never say never but I don't see ABC massively poaching NBC's talent like nbc has been doing.

Ultimately it comes down to Josh and his agents. Regardless if ABC was being cheap, from all the reports out there, he was offered a hefty pay raise. In the short term he gets more money, but in the long term, this could hurt his chances for moving up the ladder. He better hope that NBC gives him an opportunity to appear on the Today show, otherwise he will fade into obscurity on the sports side.

I agree a thousand percent. Josh's agents are idiots to not realize that this wasn't a grab for his talents, just an attempt to dismantle GMA. Where could Josh go at today? Willie and maybe even Lester would be far better choices to replace Matt than Josh. There aren't even any open spots at NBC. I'm really anxious to see how Tuesday's show goes and who or if ABC will choose to join the show to balance the male:female ratio. I'll have remind myself to watch something else on Josh's last day. I don't care to see a whole morning dedicated to the egomaniacs 3 year short span on the show.

They announced it at the top of the broadcast this morning. Robin is in LA this morning. Lara is anchoring and Sarah is in for Lara. I guess Sarah will be the new fill in for Lara, I wonder who will be fill in for Amy?

I also wonder how they will have Josh come back? Is he going to come back tomorrow as news anchor until he leaves later this week? Should be interesting.

Given his recent frequent co-hosting of GMA on-line, it wouldn't surprise me if Gio Benitez is given some kind of promotion to the daily broadcast.

Gio is great but I would also consider John Muller he's pretty funny on the early morning newscast.

I agree a thousand percent. Josh's agents are idiots to not realize that this wasn't a grab for his talents, just an attempt to dismantle GMA. Where could Josh go at today? Willie and maybe even Lester would be far better choices to replace Matt than Josh. There aren't even any open spots at NBC. I'm really anxious to see how Tuesday's show goes and who or if ABC will choose to join the show to balance the male:female ratio. I'll have remind myself to watch something else on Josh's last day. I don't care to see a whole morning dedicated to the egomaniacs 3 year short span on the show.

I'm sure his agents are quite smart -- I just don't think they particularly cared about the motivation for the move. Remember that because they probably are paid a percent of his salary, they have an incentive to find him the highest paying job.

I never like the show when it's 4 women and 1 man, the balance is just way off.

Doesn't GMA attract primarily women? Especially after the Ann Curry debacle, I wouldn't be surprised if women LOVED themselves some GMA, it's just so...woman-appealing to me. Having 4 women at the desk probably benefits them.

Doesn't GMA attract primarily women? Especially after the Ann Curry debacle, I wouldn't be surprised if women LOVED themselves some GMA, it's just so...woman-appealing to me. Having 4 women at the desk probably benefits them.

Yes they do, you can tell by the way it looks and feels.

That's true but I still think that there should be a male presence on the show in some form and George's alone doesn't necessarily cut it. That being said I don't see what position they could add to the show to deem a 6th anchor necessary but if they were considering I have to say that Ryan Smith is showing how great he is at this type of stuff on the GMA Live aftershow. He and Ginger are pretty good together.

Most of ABC is like that these days. But morning television has always been geared toward women.

Most of ABC is like that these days. But morning television has always been geared toward women.

Most of it is and that seems to be a newer phenomenon, world news seems to have been transformed into an evening version of GMA as far as content. It's tough to watch considering what it was before Diane Sawyer. Morning shows target the women who don't go to work as does most daytime tv.

Archived