Josh Elliott to Depart ABC News for NBC Sports, Amy Robach Promoted To GMA's News Anchor

tvnewsjunkie

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just makes no sense to me. I love Josh but will be the first to say that his EGO is something he does not hide well. The future of the show looks extremely murky. Who is the successor to George's seat? Another male needs to be brought on to the program permanently as well.

I normally don't curse but he's a dumb ass. He let fame get to his head that quick. At least Amy is on GMA now everyday (even though she was the unofficial 6th co-host anyway). His stubbornness may have wrecked his career, which is so unfortunate. He was 1st in line to become the male co anchor. I do hope GMA give a send off. I bet NBC and Today are happy because now they actually have a legit chance to turn things around.

Well. I don't know what to say. I will miss him on GMA. He (along with Sam Champion) was the best part of the show.

At least he and Sam are back together in the same company (and might be in the same place and network if the situation calls for it.)

I have a few notes on this...

• I bet NBC gave Josh an amazing deal just to get him off GMA.
  • I think this is going to come back to bite Josh in the ass. He WAS next in line for lead anchor spot at GMA with Robin. I doubt he gets that far at NBC.
  • For me, Josh didn't make the show so it's not a complete loss for me. This is certainly Today's best chance of ratings gains, but at the same time, Amy is a very strong anchor and part of the team.
  • With this, I would expect David Muir, Dan Harris or Dan A. to replace George if he gets World News because I doubt they will go all female.
  • Something else I find interesting, both Josh and Sam have gone to the NBC side. I wonder if NBC will try to steal someone from NBC? Maybe Natalie or Ann? Just a thought.

First Sam, then Cynthia last week, now Josh, NBC is just stealing people from ABC left and right. I want to see ABC take someone important from NBC now.

As someone on TVNewser pointed out the release says that Josh will not be replacing anyone on NBC Sports, so NBC basically offered him a big pay check just to dismantle GMA's team.

That is exactly what I was saying. This isn't NBC Sports thinking Josh is worth that much, it's NBC wanting to ruin GMA. I expect some retaliation from ABC.

I think the most important question is who will do play of the day now? ;)

They should poach away Natalie, Hoda, Willie, or even Lester. They have to get someone that NBC care about. They could get Ann for the sympathy factor but NBC wouldn't be that bothered. I think Josh is going to see how stupid he was because he should have thought this thing through instead he let greed play a major factor and that's his downfall. He basically is going to be a contributing corespondent and with his ego, he's going to want to have his own show which I doubt, NBC Sports is going to grant him. Lets just say he's going to be regretting this decision in a few years.

The only way I see this benefiting Josh, besides pay, is if in a year or two he gets a spot on Today.

They should poach away Natalie, Hoda, Willie, or even Lester. They have to get someone that NBC care about. They could get Ann for the sympathy factor but NBC wouldn't be that bothered. I think Josh is going to see how stupid he was because he should have thought this thing through instead he let greed play a major factor and that's his downfall. He basically is going to be a contributing corespondent and with his ego, he's going to want to have his own show which I doubt, NBC Sports is going to grant him. Lets just say he's going to be regretting this decision in a few years.

Lester would be the biggest punch in the gut to NBC but he is not full of himself so he probably won't go. My guess is Natalie, Hoda, Willie or Ann but I don't see ABC allowing NBC to just steal talent like they have recently.

This is definitely a foolish choice on the part of Elliott and his management; going from #2 at GMA to essentially being at best #5 or even 6 down the line at NBC Sports (behind Costas, Michaels, Collinsworth, Patrick and I know I'm forgetting someone). Even for an ego move, this is eggheaded. And there are Twitter rumblings that we may have already seen the last of him at GMA. Bad move.

There's no way that Josh doesn't appear in person on GMA to say goodbye, this cannot go down in any way similar to Ann. And despite what the truth is if someone leaves a show and isn't given a proper goodbye the audience could see it as him being fired. If he refuses to appear then GMA should make it perfectly clear that Josh refused to come back and tell his audience goodbye. He's barred from appearing on today for 6 months.

I want to thank Josh for his many contributions to GMA and ABC News. Later in the week, we will bid him farewell.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s1774t

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean on-air but I highly doubt, as MorningNews mentioned, they will allow it to go down like Ann Curry. It will be "Josh Elliot Day" on GMA. And with Josh's ego, he should be having the time of his life. What I do wonder is, will he appear on the show tomorrow even though he won't be news anchor? Amy's position is effective immediately so I wonder what he will be doing.

-

I would also point out, many said Sam's departure would cause Today to beat GMA. It didn't and I don't think this will either. (I actually enjoy Ginger more than Sam [still love Sam though!]) My bet is GMA and ABC will advertise like crazy for the next few weeks to keep viewers through the transition so they stay after the transition.

I normally don't curse but he's a dumb ass. He let fame get to his head that quick. At least Amy is on GMA now everyday (even though she was the unofficial 6th co-host anyway). His stubbornness may have wrecked his career, which is so unfortunate. He was 1st in line to become the male co anchor. I do hope GMA give a send off. I bet NBC and Today are happy because now they actually have a legit chance to turn things around.

Or maybe CBS has a rimshot chance to take first in mornings for the first time ever.

Ben Sheerwood said they had good news coming later in the week. Maybe this means their adding another male to the show permanently in some kind of capacity

I completely agree, they will likely add a male in a new anchor position on GMA. I would love for it to be David Muir, also wouldn't be surprised if it was Dan Harris or even Willie Geist. This of course being if they do add a new position.

Or maybe CBS has a rimshot chance to take first in mornings for the first time ever.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is definitely a foolish choice on the part of Elliott and his management; going from #2 at GMA to essentially being at best #5 or even 6 down the line at NBC Sports (behind Costas, Michaels, Collinsworth, Patrick and I know I'm forgetting someone). Even for an ego move, this is eggheaded. And there are Twitter rumblings that we may have already seen the last of him at GMA. Bad move.

Maybe the fifth guy you're thinking of might be Dan Hicks (who is NBC's lead golf broadcaster and in recent years called the early wild-card game on NBC in place of Tom Hammond).

As for Elliott's exit; this might be one of the dumbest decisions I can recall seeing in recent memory jumping ship from GMA (especially considering their recent surge to #1 in the morning news race).

Archived