WCVB Virtual Set?

aleckrohto

It's a panel that's obscuring something and it's not very big. You can see the edge of it at the bottom in the second picture.

Someone probably just got tired of seeing whatever's behind it (part of the anchor desk background I think) from that angle.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

I wonder if WTAE will also get a new set...they have nearly the exact same one WCVB has. It debuted in September 2008, which was 6 years ago. I think it would be nice to see either WTAE or KDKA get a new set as they look way too similar

I'd imagine it would be most likely a refresh, even though the tweet mentioned it was new. The Hearst station in New Orleans underwent a refresh recently. The only reason why I'm saying it's a refresh because if it was going to be a new set they wouldn't be in the studio at all and the fact that a wall is blocking off one side so that makes me think they will next do the other side by the weather center bit by bit.

If they do get a new set lets pray they don't go the way WGALs set is.

I'd imagine the refresh would look similar to WDSU's which was done by the Solomon Group of New Orleans. But looking through their website it appears that Solomon doesn't do much outside of Louisiana but it could be based on a standard design (like how Clickspring Design sets are built by blackwalnut or JetSets). Hopefully WCVB won't take as long as WDSUs refresh where they broadcast from a cheap set for about a month, then again anything would be quick compared to the six months WBAL was broadcasting from their newsroom during when they where converting to HD (then again they did rip out everything and started with all new infrastructure). Hopefully they could brighten up the rear projection screen behind home base as it looks a bit washed out.

image.jpg.d786caed2abdcf50a1a19ce346819745.jpg

image.jpg.edcad83aefcbd389cac86815c88bf5ae.jpg

image.jpg.512f5b52b079f9b858af01f6ca5cf0ed.jpg

Whatever it is, just hope it doesn't turn out like WISN's "new" set did. Replace the fake brick and cement with wood and gloss black, new duratrans and a few plasma screens and call it new.

What is the purpose for the blue section below the wcvb.com logo in the second to last image? It looks like chroma blue, like it might be used to insert chroma key graphics.

I've seen something similar in use at WBFF here in Baltimore it's used for weather with several screens showing different maps. But if it's not used it will look like crap.

I think it looks alright, but now their 2 shot looks way too similar to WBZ's. I'm surprised no one at the station was bothered by this. It is a cookie cutter industry I guess...

I think it looks alright, but now their 2 shot looks way too similar to WBZ's. I'm surprised no one at the station was bothered by this. It is a cookie cutter industry I guess...

How so? I'm not in the market but it doesn't look anything like this http://www.newscaststudio.com/2011/12/28/boston-cbs-station-unveils-new-set-logo/

How so? I'm not in the market but it doesn't look anything like this http://www.newscaststudio.com/2011/12/28/boston-cbs-station-unveils-new-set-logo/

They remodeled the following year, replacing the backdrop with a monitor wall.

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2012/08/02/cbs-boston-updates-set-background/

Wouldn't mind seeing WISN do something like this. At least when the new Northwestern Mutual building goes up. (one would think they would have to change the duratran to stay current)

Wouldn't mind seeing WISN do something like this. At least when the new Northwestern Mutual building goes up. (one would think they would have to change the duratran to stay current)

With as lame as WISN's last refresh was, one would hope they don't just refresh again but do a larger overhaul.

Note: key word "hope." Not "expect."

Besides, they still need to redo the lame Upfront set first. Man, that thing is dated. Parts of that set date back to Channel 12 This Morning back in the late 80's or early 90's.

With as lame as WISN's last refresh was, one would hope they don't just refresh again but do a larger overhaul.

Note: key word "hope." Not "expect."

Besides, they still need to redo the lame Upfront set first. Man, that thing is dated. Parts of that set date back to Channel 12 This Morning back in the late 80's or early 90's.

True. And making it HD didn't do that set any favors. Hopefully Hearst will decide to dump some money into "one of America's leading ABC stations."

Archived