LIN is merging with Media General

CircleSeven

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are they still producing promos in iMovie?

Thankfully not. They look like actual promos. Some are pretty good, although they are still drilling the "Gimme 5" into the ground with their morning show promos :beat:

I'm surprised no one hasn't mentioned Gannett. They might still be in the buying mood, so i wouldn't count them out.

Unless Gannett can pull the Sander card in Mobile or Green Bay, they're out of contention. Gannett owns the Pensacola News-Journal and the Green Bay Press Gazette.

In fact, they owned WALA for one day in 1986 when the Detroit News company was bought out by them . WALA then ended up with Knight-Ridder.

I don't think Gannett is interested in piecemeal acquisitions.....these could be more up Raycom or Meredith's alley, depending on the market.

What are the chances of NBCUniversal re-buying WVTM, WJAR, and/or WCMH?

The only reason NBC purchased Outlet in the first place was because they were afraid of losing their station in Boston when they were fighting with Sunbeam. If they lost the affiliation, the idea was that NBC could get WJAR on cable in Boston, similar to what happened in San Francisco and maybe even do a move-in - The same thinking ABC had when it purchased the Toledo/Flint stations. WCMH was icing on the cake because it was a big money maker, but they weren't going to lose any affiliations in Ohio.

Remember, this all happened in the wake of all the prime CBS affiliates switching over to Fox.

The only reason NBC purchased Outlet in the first place was because they were afraid of losing their station in Boston when they were fighting with Sunbeam. If they lost the affiliation, the idea was that NBC could get WJAR on cable in Boston, similar to what happened in San Francisco and maybe even do a move-in - The same thinking ABC had when it purchased the Toledo/Flint stations. WCMH was icing on the cake because it was a big money maker, but they weren't going to lose any affiliations in Ohio.

Remember, this all happened in the wake of all the prime CBS affiliates switching over to Fox.

NBC did not buy out Outlet until later in 1995 or 1996.

What motivated NBC to buy out Outlet was partly protecting their affiliates, but Outlet had grown closer to the network by making WNCN an NBC affiliate. Their other three NBC affiliates were pretty prominent stations—WCMH, WVTM (then, not now) and WJAR.

NBC did not buy out Outlet until later in 1995 or 1996.

What motivated NBC to buy out Outlet was partly protecting their affiliates, but Outlet had grown closer to the network by making WNCN an NBC affiliate. Their other three NBC affiliates were pretty prominent stations—WCMH, WVTM (then, not now) and WJAR.

Actually,New World acquired WVTM (along with KNSD) and WBRC simultaneously for a short period in the mid 1990s. WBRC & WGHP were spun off to FOX Televisions Group/Newscorp while New World kept WVTM and KNSD. NBC purchased WVTM & KNSD from New World back in 1996 because the network wanted both stations to retain their long time affiliation agreements. Outlet never owned WVTM at any point. However, those former Outlet-owned NBC O&Os were unique because they all had quirks that none of the other NBC O&Os possessed like maintaining their asimilar logos with only a hint of the NBC peacock for nearly 5 years after the NBC acquisition. WJAR avoided the full-time use of the NBC peacock logo until 1999, WCMH did the same until 1998 when it emulated at the time WNBC logo, and WNCN was just odd and low-market in appearance until 2000.

I feel like if NBCUniversal was under better leadership than Zucker back in the mid 00s then these 4 stations (WVTM, WNCN, WJAR, and WCMH) would either wind up remaining O&Os or spun off to more prudent operators than Media General. All except WJAR has suffered under Media General and lost all identity that people their markets recognized with these stations

Actually,New World acquired WVTM (along with KNSD) and WBRC simultaneously for a short period in the mid 1990s. WBRC & WGHP were spun off to FOX Televisions Group/Newscorp while New World kept WVTM and KNSD. NBC purchased WVTM & KNSD from New World back in 1996 because the network wanted both stations to retain their long time affiliation agreements. Outlet never owned WVTM at any point. However, those former Outlet-owned NBC O&Os were unique because they all had quirks that none of the other NBC O&Os possessed like maintaining their asimilar logos with only a hint of the NBC peacock for nearly 5 years after the NBC acquisition. WJAR avoided the full-time use of the NBC peacock logo until 1999, WCMH did the same until 1998 when it emulated at the time WNBC logo, and WNCN was just odd and low-market in appearance until 2000.

I feel like if NBCUniversal was under better leadership than Zucker back in the mid 00s then these 4 stations (WVTM, WNCN, WJAR, and WCMH) would either wind up remaining O&Os or spun off to more prudent operators than Media General. All except WJAR has suffered under Media General and lost all identity that people their markets recognized with these stations

Duh, I forgot that. $425 million the network paid for that privilege.

Here are the stations I think will be sold off by MG:

WVTM-either Meredith or Nexstar but don't rule out Gannett

WKRG-Raycom might be looking at completing its Alabama News Source. However, Meredith might want to cluster up and buy both WVTM and WKRG.

WJCL (and the WTGS LMA)- More than likely it will be a three-battle between Gray, Sinclair (please God, not them), and Nexstar.

WLUK/WCWF-It would be perfect for Gray but again don't rule out the Hunt Valley Heathens. However, MG might keep 11/14 because of the station makes $$$$ off the Packers.

WJAR-Due to WPRI being CBS and the popularity of the Patriots, WJAR will be the sacrificial lamb. My guess is that Meredith or Sinclair will snatch it up.

Here are the stations I think will be sold off by MG:

WVTM-either Meredith or Nexstar but don't rule out Gannett

WKRG-Raycom might be looking at completing its Alabama News Source. However, Meredith might want to cluster up and buy both WVTM and WKRG.

WJCL (and the WTGS LMA)- More than likely it will be a three-battle between Gray, Sinclair (please God, not them), and Nexstar.

WLUK/WCWF-It would be perfect for Gray but again don't rule out the Hunt Valley Heathens. However, MG might keep 11/14 because of the station makes $$$$ off the Packers.

WJAR-Due to WPRI being CBS and the popularity of the Patriots, WJAR will be the sacrificial lamb. My guess is that Meredith or Sinclair will snatch it up.

No way they get rid of WKRG and WJAR. These are legacy stations in their markets! I wouldn't be surprised, however, if the LMA's get transferred to the MG station.

Football matters, but it doesn't matter so much that you would give up a legacy station that is perennially Number One like WJAR for the market's second tier player! It would be like giving up WHIO for WDTN ... or giving up WBNS for WCMH ... or WBRC for WVTM. I don't see it happening.

Hindsight is 20/20. Media General was historically considered a very good operator and that is one of the reasons NBC sold the stations to them. A bigger reason is that MG was the only company stupid enough to pay $600 million for those stations.

MG ran into financial problems due to the decline of newspapers and all the debt they had piled up from acquisitions. So I don't have a problem with what they've done, because when you don't have any money, you can't put money into your stations! The government could learn a thing or two from MG.

The fact that they were able to keep MG out of bankruptcy is downright amazing. Of course, they shouldn't have gotten to that point in the first place, but give them credit for being able to save the operation, not to mention that they were able to assemble a pretty good stable of stations in their home state through the recent acquisitions.

As poor as MG's financials were just a few years ago, it is a miracle that they are one of the survivors.

No way they get rid of WKRG and WJAR. These are legacy stations in their markets! I wouldn't be surprised, however, if the LMA's get transferred to the MG station.

Football matters, but it doesn't matter so much that you would give up a legacy station that is perennially Number One like WJAR for the market's second tier player! It would be like giving up WHIO for WDTN ... or giving up WBNS for WCMH ... or WBRC for WVTM. I don't see it happening.

As I asked earlier, what would really stop MG from flipping network affiliations between WJAR and WPRI? Put the #1 broadcast network on the markets #1 station, and make it the "home station" for the Patriots.

Hindsight is 20/20. Media General was historically considered a very good operator and that is one of the reasons NBC sold the stations to them. A bigger reason is that MG was the only company stupid enough to pay $600 million for those stations.

MG ran into financial problems due to the decline of newspapers and all the debt they had piled up from acquisitions. So I don't have a problem with what they've done, because when you don't have any money, you can't put money into your stations! The government could learn a thing or two from MG.

The fact that they were able to keep MG out of bankruptcy is downright amazing. Of course, they shouldn't have gotten to that point in the first place, but give them credit for being able to save the operation, not to mention that they were able to assemble a pretty good stable of stations in their home state through the recent acquisitions.

As poor as MG's financials were just a few years ago, it is a miracle that they are one of the survivors.

The spinoff of their newspaper division - to Berkshire Hathaway, no less - cannot be understated in MG's recent turnaround.

While their purchase of the Outlet Four from NBC was criminally stupid, getting rid of their newspapers was just as brilliant.

Fred Flinstone- I can understand why MG would want to keep WKRG (they have ZERO experience running a Fox station plus its a Spartan station) but the possibility of having a monopoly on Sunday afternoon football plus running two stations with top dog networks (CBS and Fox) seems like a good idea on paper.

Myron Falwell-WJAR should switch but if the Fox-Local TV deal was any indication, NBC might have WJAR locked in until 2017.

Fred Flinstone- I can understand why MG would want to keep WKRG (they have ZERO experience running a Fox station plus its a Spartan station) but the possibility of having a monopoly on Sunday afternoon football plus running two stations with top dog networks (CBS and Fox) seems like a good idea on paper.

Myron Falwell-WJAR should switch but if the Fox-Local TV deal was any indication, NBC might have WJAR locked in until 2017.

It's doubtful that the FCC is going to allow Media General to keep WKRG and WALA, they have to choose one or the other (WFNA is another matter, as they legally acquire it, either under the existing duopoly with WALA or as a new one with WKRG). Remember that Tom Wheeler is trying to curb sharing agreements, they can't create a legal duopoly since both are top-4 stations in Mobile-Pensacola. Also, just because Media General does not have a history of owning Fox stations doesn't mean that they would pass over WALA or WLUK, in these bulk staton acquisitions, the acquiring group doesn't care about network affiliations. Keep in mind that KHON is a Fox station and it will automatically go to the company because Honolulu does not have the kind of ownership conflicts that Mobile or Green Bay (as well as the three other markets where MG and LIN own stations) have. Also, MG operates WXXA (also a Fox affiliate) under an SSA struck before the Young purchase.

I don't know that I agree with this.

1. Is CBS as strong in the Northeast as it is in the Heartland?

2. For all the hype sports teams get in the media, sports teams don't mean as much outside their home markets. There are exceptions to the general rule, but Sinclair tried to spread their OSU game day coverage on WSYX to Dayton, but it wasn't very successful. OSU bowl games tend to do well in Dayton and Cleveland, but not nearly as well as they do in Columbus.. Likewise, I think I read somewhere where the average ratings for a Reds game in Indianapolis on cable was something like 25,000. Think about that for a minute ... out of 2 million people in the metro area, only 25,000 can be bothered to watch a game on any given night? ... Cincinnati Bengals support is soft in Dayton, just 55 miles away.

Providence might be a different situation, but I still don't think its worth giving up the powerhouse station in the market. But this is still speculation ... its going to depend on the financials and it is hard for me to believe that WJAR doesn't beat the others by a mile.

Why make the Mobile market non-competitive like that?

In my last comment I meant over in Providence and I am sorry about not being specific. That being said, with NBC in the toilets and MG possibly having the chance of owning a CBS affiliate (WPRI) and operating a Fox affiliate (WNAC), it would be very difficult for MG to choose which one to keep. I believe that Myron Falwell suggested WPRI sell its LMA with WNAC over to WJAR but will Tom Wheeler allow it? That would be the bigger question.

In my last comment I meant over in Providence and I am sorry about not being specific. That being said, with NBC in the toilets and MG possibly having the chance of owning a CBS affiliate (WPRI) and operating a Fox affiliate (WNAC), it would be very difficult for MG to choose which one to keep. I believe that Myron Falwell suggested WPRI sell its LMA with WNAC over to WJAR but will Tom Wheeler allow it? That would be the bigger question.

NBC isn't exactly in the toilet anymore, and it can easily grandfather the LMA with WNAC (licensee: Super Towers LLC). I don't know if the LMA can stay post-March 31, but it is old enough to be grandfathered right now.

I don't know that I agree with this.

1. Is CBS as strong in the Northeast as it is in the Heartland?

2. For all the hype sports teams get in the media, sports teams don't mean as much outside their home markets. There are exceptions to the general rule, but Sinclair tried to spread their OSU game day coverage on WSYX to Dayton, but it wasn't very successful. OSU bowl games tend to do well in Dayton and Cleveland, but not nearly as well as they do in Columbus.. Likewise, I think I read somewhere where the average ratings for a Reds game in Indianapolis on cable was something like 25,000. Think about that for a minute ... out of 2 million people in the metro area, only 25,000 can be bothered to watch a game on any given night? ... Cincinnati Bengals support is soft in Dayton, just 55 miles away.

Providence might be a different situation, but I still don't think its worth giving up the powerhouse station in the market. But this is still speculation ... its going to depend on the financials and it is hard for me to believe that WJAR doesn't beat the others by a mile.

I'm actually not too familiar with Providence. I assumed that since MG wrecked WCMH, WNCN, and WVTM, that WJAR was in the same boat.

NBC isn't exactly in the toilet anymore, and it can easily grandfather the LMA with WNAC (licensee: Super Towers LLC). I don't know if the LMA can stay post-March 31, but it is old enough to be grandfathered right now.

The FCC vote is on the prohibition of joint sales agreements. I don't think that the vote will have any effect on LMAs or SSAs, those will likely not be dealt with until comments on what to do with shared services agreements are gathered.

The FCC vote is on the prohibition of joint sales agreements. I don't think that the vote will have any effect on LMAs or SSAs, those will likely not be dealt with until comments on what to do with shared services agreements are gathered.

I'm not sure if LMAs from pre-November 1996, which this one is, would still be grandfather-able.

One thing to note is that WPRI has the CBS lineup and the AFC rights in a market within the shadow of the New England Patriots. WJAR does well in spite of having to be an NBC affiliate.

Is it possible that MG tries to swap affiliations with WPRI and WJAR, keep WNAC, and THEN spin off an NBC-affiliated WPRI? Get the best of both worlds that way. (Remember that CBS did flip WPRI from their long-running ABC affiliation back in 1995 when the station was an O&O for a literal cup of coffee.)

As I asked earlier, what would really stop MG from flipping network affiliations between WJAR and WPRI? Put the #1 broadcast network on the markets #1 station, and make it the "home station" for the Patriots.

Myron, Not sure if this answers your question or not. But, I suppose the time left remaining on the deals is favorable for a switch. Anyway, here you go.

WPRI's affiliation agreement with CBS runs through December 31st, 2014. Source: Lin Media 2012 Annual Report (10-K)*

WJAR's affiliation agreement with NBC runs through December 31st, 2015. Source: Media General 2012 Annual Report (10-K)* & this article.

*FYI - Links are to PDF downloads of the Annual Reports.

Myron, Not sure if this answers your question or not. But, I suppose the time left remaining on the deals is favorable for a switch. Anyway, here you go.

WPRI's affiliation agreement with CBS runs through December 31st, 2014. Source: Lin Media 2012 Annual Report (10-K)*

WJAR's affiliation agreement with NBC runs through December 31st, 2015. Source: Media General 2012 Annual Report (10-K)* & this article.

*FYI - Links are to PDF downloads of the Annual Reports.

Thanks for the info, Raymie. I'll be honest, I know the TV industry is a fickle industry but this LIN-MG deal came sudden. I say that because the ink had barely dried on the LIN-New Vision deal. Frankly, I probably should be thankful that Sinclair didn't (and couldn't) get to it first. :)

Thanks for the info, Raymie. I'll be honest, I know the TV industry is a fickle industry but this LIN-MG deal came sudden. I say that because the ink had barely dried on the LIN-New Vision deal. Frankly, I probably should be thankful that Sinclair didn't (and couldn't) get to it first. :)

For once it wasn't me.

By the way while the LIN-MG deal is being worked out LIN can shop around for a better price. I don't know which companies are interested but if someone offers more than what Media General is willing to pay then we could looking at a super group

Archived