NBC 10 Thread

WCAUTVNBC10

I like the move of Keith and Erin to mornings as I feel they have the right personalities for it.

But this leaves a lot of questions. Who will anchor at 11am? What happens to Lucy and Rosemary? Will Tracy be solo at 4&5, will she get a new co-anchor, or will Jim and Jackie split those shifts?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

But this leaves a lot of questions. Who will anchor at 11am? What happens to Lucy and Rosemary? Will Tracy be solo at 4&5, will she get a new co-anchor, or will Jim and Jackie split those shifts?

Here are my predictions right now:

4-7AM: Keith and Erin

11AM: Lucy (she did 11AM today at least)

4PM: Tracy and Jim

5PM: Tracy and Jackie

6/7/11PM: Jim and Jackie

Weekend Mornings: Stephania

Weekend Evenings: Rosemary

You could swap Jim and Jackie's places at 4 and 5. I just can't see Tracy anchoring two hour-long newscasts by herself, even during the pandemic.

If you check this article out, Erin and Keith are also anchoring the 11AM news.

I was also sensing a little bit of this in their Facebook Live, but after reading the article, it really confirmed the vibe I was getting that the morning program was going to resemble a (for a lack of a better word) Tegna-izing (but maybe don't panic by this...?) Key features include more stand-up shots, more social media integration, and new AR, so it's clear that the station is trying to capitalize on E & K's youth and make the newscast more attractive to younger viewers. 

Here, in this article, Tracy will be "joining Jacqueline London and Jim Rosenfield at 4 p.m. and 5 p.m., respectively," which means

4: Tracy and Jacqueline

5: Tracy and Jim

Lucy was passively mentioned somewhere (in the Live or the announcement) that her role continues as is right now. Perhaps in the future she will get some larger role.

So, from my understanding:

4-7AM: Erin and Keith

11AM: Erin and Keith

4PM: Tracy and Jacqueline

5PM: Tracy and Jim

6PM: Jim and Jacqueline 

7PM: Jim and Jacqueline

11PM: Jim and Jacqueline

--solo anchoring entirely possible with any of these slots thanks to COVID---

• Like 1

Based on articles above, it seems logical to deduce that Rosemary is going to weekend evenings. Always seemed stupid that they moved her to weekdays to anchor a 45-minute newscast. They overloaded on weekday anchors and now have to spread who’s left over more newscasts. 

I happen to be watching them this morning when the announcement was made. Here are my takeaways:

• Congrats to Vai on his retirement! They really went out of their way to say that today was not a farewell tribute for him. I think they're going to have something big planned as he retires at the end of the year.
  • I'm looking forward to watch Tracy in the afternoons again and paired with Jacqueline and especially Jim. 
  • In the FB Live chat this morning, Keith mentioned he's been with NBC 10 for 8 years now. It was odd that it wasn't mentioned in the announcement that he started in the mornings, then a few months after Jim arrived, Keith and Vai swapped shifts. 
  • Could part of this lineup restructure be a result of COVID financial circumstances? Because I can see them sticking with Tracy, Jim, and Jacqueline for the afternoon/evening/late night newscasts. It wouldn't surprise me too if 10 hires another anchor to join them. 

1 hour ago, emmi_18 said:

Congrats to Vai on his retirement! They really went out of their way to say that today was not a farewell tribute for him. I think they're going to have something big planned as he retires at the end of the year.

I wholeheartedly agree here and NBC 10 is really showing how to send someone off, with interviews and segments for Vai and gradually easing the viewers into his transition out. [totally not thinking of WTTG or anything...]

As for channel 6, I think they run a tight ship there -- the people who are loyal to Tamala and Matt probably would never leave, and Karen and David are also an institution themselves -- simply put, that's a family I don't think anyone wants to see broken up. But I think NBC has sensed that there's an opportunity to liven up the 4-7 morning newscast and maybe bring a tiny bit of the Good Day Philly Alex & Mike vibe into their thing (I mean Alex did go viral earlier this summer), and it will come down to how people will receive these new, likely less-traditional/more youthful changes and if that really makes a good impact....or if they'll be forced to change right back into the traditional format after sweeps, and then compete in a different way.

• Like 1

Caught the revamped newscast this morning. I like the modern refresh. Doesn't make sense to have your anchors trapped behind a big, clunky desk in 2020. FOX 29 News may be unwatchable, but they have some good ideas in there.

I watched their debut on Friday and I also have some thoughts. I was wrong to suggest it would be a "tegna-izing," because it really doesn't even come close to that and it still retains a lot of NBC 10 familiarity, so fear not people (FTVLive definitely fanned some flames when he talked about the new format IMO). In terms of "increased social media interaction," there was probably an hourly "virtual wall" segment for like 2 minutes and I think that was it. The one thing they have a lot more is standing (like basically ~90% of the entire newscast it seems). Seems kind of exhausting if you ask me. They've also integrated a new small-ish, cheap-looking, and plastic-looking desk slightly reminiscent of the one currently used at WNBC because of social distancing protocols. But since they rarely sit at it (like 5-10 minutes in the entire hour), I can see why the new desk is so uninspired. And of course, they also have lots of usage of the monitors/displays/screens all around them to emphasize the vast space they have. In terms of who's in studio, Keith/Erin/Sheila are in and Bill is still at home. 

image.thumb.png.5f7cf0f9b872c426c2e70aea4c30cbf6.png

The camera zooms into the board behind Keith and Erin at every open when they toss to Bill.

image.thumb.png.e8e946347bae8f92bdd5dbc4b2e9393f.png

image.thumb.png.ae26f02700bb63f487bb9fa4d217081e.png

~ large ~ screen (they basically nuked the desk and then use the screen most of the time as an aid to what they're saying)

image.thumb.png.80f57ac8b9d142e8560db39bbb0fbc5b.png

image.thumb.png.5ff91e366288abea1d61ec0d843ad43e.png

the desk -- it's an interesting choice

image.thumb.png.bbcd4ef2d5f5717024fdfa6032905c17.png

what it looks like when one of them reads the prompter while sitting down

Now for a different topic:

I shared some 2020 ratings trivia for the Philly area courtesy of Broadcasting & Cable and initially posted it in the Channel 6 thread since it shows WPVI's dominance. But I think it's actually more meaningful in this thread, because it reveals WCAU is actually lagging behind KYW at 11PM in households and just barely beating it in 25-54, and we don't know the breakdown in the other slots either, which...might suggest other surprises. I admit it this could be calling alarm to something that's probably not the biggest deal ever, but....it's still TV. Anyways, I like Jim and Jacqueline, but in the end, I wouldn't put it past NBC to possibly make some changes down the road. 

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Now for a different topic:

I shared some 2020 ratings trivia for the Philly area courtesy of Broadcasting & Cable and initially posted it in the Channel 6 thread since it shows WPVI's dominance. But I think it's actually more meaningful in this thread, because it reveals WCAU is actually lagging behind KYW at 11PM in households and just barely beating it in 25-54, and we don't know the breakdown in the other slots either, which...might suggest other surprises. I admit it this could be calling alarm to something that's probably not the biggest deal ever, but....it's still TV. Anyways, I like Jim and Jacqueline, but in the end, I wouldn't put it past NBC to possibly make some changes down the road. 

I think it has more to do with CBS and NBC’s prime time and sticking with channel you’re already watching. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Elizabeth Flores Named Vice President of News for NBC10 and Telemundo62

Flores is coming from WABC-TV, where she has served as Assistant News Director since 2018. Before that, she spent 17 years at WTVJ/WSCV (NBC6/Telemundo 51) in South Florida in various management positions. Her first day in Philly will be on January 11, 2021.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, ddaniels20 said:

Elizabeth Flores Named Vice President of News for NBC10 and Telemundo62

Flores is coming from WABC-TV, where she has served as Assistant News Director since 2018. Before that, she spent 17 years at WTVJ/WSCV (NBC6/Telemundo 51) in South Florida in various management positions. Her first day in Philly will be on January 11, 2021.

I didn't know Anzio left. This is a good get for the station.

Also wanted to note: the use of "COUNT ON IT" has increased fairly dramatically in the last few weeks or so.  It's now part of the reporter outcue.

.......I'm never gonna be able to change my forum description, am I?

• Haha 3