NBC 10 Thread

WCAUTVNBC10

He's right - I had a lapse in logic. I've deleted them from the channel it was on.

If there was an alternate way to make this available, I'd love to. Otherwise...

This is the live stream page. Weekday broadcasts are at 4am-7am ET, 11am-Noon ET, 4pm-6:30pm ET, and 11pm ET.

If you give a shit about broadcast journalism I encourage you to watch.

No, he's not good. Whether you get caught or not, it is in no way acceptable to post an entire show online unless you have permission.

Yep, I got a copy right takedown notice for a simple promo (that was quite good) from Hearst. I now have one strike against me on YouTube. Oddly it was the only one that I didn't write in the description for discussion on TVNT. I moved some others to private where they could be seen by linking but then went public again.

He's right - I had a lapse in logic. I've deleted them from the channel it was on.

This is the live stream page. Weekday broadcasts are at 4am-7am ET, 11am-Noon ET, 4pm-6:30pm ET, and 11pm ET.

I did watch five minutes of the 4pm and 5pm newscasts and found them good. They didn't overhype and delivered it with no intonation of the voice to make it sound scary or serious but it did seem like they were trying too hard to be calm. It seemed like a good newscast.

Don't do this. You are not the rights holder to this material, especially the entire show. Your intentions may be good, but this is a bad idea.

I've posted entire newscasts before from WMAQ and nothings happened. Hes good.

No, he's not good. Whether you get caught or not, it is in no way acceptable to post an entire show online unless you have permission.

The almighty dollar rules again... :rolleyes: (copyright laws in this country seriously need to be updated)

Yep, I got a copy right takedown notice for a simple promo (that was quite good) from Hearst. I now have one strike against me on YouTube. Oddly it was the only one that I didn't write in the description for discussion on TVNT. I moved some others to private where they could be seen by linking but then went public again.

Hearst has been known to abuse their DCMA power. You should've filed an appeal with YT and claimed fair use. It's not like you're trying to profit off it...

The almighty dollar rules again... :rolleyes: (copyright laws in this country seriously need to be updated)

Hearst has been known to abuse their DCMA power. You should've filed an appeal with YT and claimed fair use. It's not like you're trying to profit off it...

I didn't realize they took down the video until a week latter they did it because I don't always use youtube. Luckily for me they uploaded the promo on their youtube channel:

I would question the appropriateness of hotlinking to a station's news content from TVNT. I don't know if there has been legal history with this site, and I know stations follow TVNT on Twitter, but just like RTs, followers - don't = to endorsements.

There's no legal issue with linking to content that someone makes available. The copyright issues are on them, the host.

There's no legal issue with linking to content that someone makes available. The copyright issues are on them, the host.

I believe he was referring to the fact that televisions and websites in general can tell who referred them to their website. So if I posted a link to NBC10's website they if they were so so inclined find out who referred someone to NBC10. Most TV stations use real time analytical software to display on a screen in the newsroom what stories are gaining traction and the top 10 websites sending traffic their way.

With all that being said I think that cbs2newengland was coming from by saying we shouldn't advertise to the stations the things that we talk / post here. Because some of the stuff we discuss is a bit inside baseball and we won't want anyone to loose their jobs if an employer found out about this.

P.S. cbs2newengland check you private messages.

I believe he was referring to the fact that televisions and websites in general can tell who referred them to their website. So if I posted a link to NBC10's website they if they were so so inclined find out who referred someone to NBC10. Most TV stations use real time analytical software to display on a screen in the newsroom what stories are gaining traction and the top 10 websites sending traffic their way.

With all that being said I think that cbs2newengland was coming from by saying we shouldn't advertise to the stations the things that we talk / post here. Because some of the stuff we discuss is a bit inside baseball and we won't want anyone to loose their jobs if an employer found out about this.

That part kinda makes me paranoid. It's with any site. Omnibars kinda suck in one way when you want to call up a vintage video on YouTube to then go on the station's site and who knows if the station can see all my other tabs...

My question I put out was just for general practice, whether or not it's a good idea to hotlink content from a station. I wasn't saying whether or not we should advertise TVNT and the subject matters. IMO, the cat has gone out of its bag starting with other list-serves before TVNT and if anything, the stations should be flattered, since there are more news geeks then before. Never mind they got much more priorities to be concerned especially in the age of declining newsrooms and move to automation *coughs* and other things that impacts a modern newsgathering op.

Because some of the stuff we discuss is a bit inside baseball and we won't want anyone to loose their jobs if an employer found out about this.

Unless a user is posting material that he/she/we should not have access to, you don't have to worry. Discussion is fine, even if it's "inside baseball". You don't think members of the stations are reading this site already? They are. No one is going to lose their job unless they cross the lines of proprietary information and such.

Unless a user is posting material that he/she/we should not have access to, you don't have to worry. Discussion is fine, even if it's "inside baseball". You don't think members of the stations are reading this site already? They are. No one is going to lose their job unless they cross the lines of proprietary information and such.

I mentioned the Twitter followers of TVNT earlier. In anyway its just another set of eyes monitoring the news business.

There have been things that were posted on public websites like Vimeo or the networks PR sites and consequently have been picked up by TV news website that have caused it to be removed. I can think of two examples where this has happened the first was the current CBS O&O graphics and a demo reel of The Weather Channel package that was released months before the rebrand was rolled out.

• 1 month later...

Was browsing through TVNewsCheck and checked TVSpy after and I was surprised.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/veteran-reporter-lu-ann-cahn-leaving-wcau_b135991

This probably deserves a separate thread because she has been an integral part of WCAU for almost 30 years. She was the face of 10's group of reporter for years, even more so the past few years under the management of Anzio Williams and Eric Lerner. I'm glad though that she's leaving in her own terms and would be wonderful if they had a short tribute for her on the 19th.

Big loss indeed, but I gotta admit I lost alot of respect for her when she dedicated one of her 10 investigates to confronting a comedian who went on a panty-raid at her house, and then shared the details on radio. By confront I mean her investigation was really just mimicking the radio stunt, but worse with cameras, going to the comedians room and going thru his things for the entire nbc10 viewership to see.

Of course this was when NBC 10 was still in it's tabloid 10 days. Doubt she would've been allowed to do that sort of report today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It looks like they reverted back to the 360 music for the bumpers, the one before the LA Groove switch.

Yup (sorta. They're using a stripped version this time with the full theme unlike that loop they used before). We talked about it in the No Emotion Box earlier this week. I hope they bring it back in earnest with a few changes in cut selection.

Yup (sorta. They're using a stripped version this time with the full theme unlike that loop they used before). We talked about it in the No Emotion Box earlier this week. I hope they bring it back in earnest with a few changes in cut selection.

I don't know how many cuts that package has between the WCAU and KNSD themes, but the cuts WCAU had used seemed to be a long cut that was used for opens, bumps and to close the program out. With the help of some audio manipulating apps, they probably made the cuts appear to be longer than the original cut.

I don't know how many cuts that package has between the WCAU and KNSD themes, but the cuts WCAU had used seemed to be a long cut that was used for opens, bumps and to close the program out. With the help of some audio manipulating apps, they probably made the cuts appear to be longer than the original cut.

http://www.360musicproduction.com/nbcono/

The way Arnold/Chad Cook produces packages it wouldn't surprise me if the number of cuts in this package pushes 500. There's 5 different main themes and like 10 other franchise themes all with numerous submixes. WCAU only ever edited together the original cut they used for a bump. The theme they used/are using is a min long.

http://www.360musicproduction.com/nbcono/

The way Arnold/Chad Cook produces packages it wouldn't surprise me if the number of cuts in this package pushes 500. There's 5 different main themes and like 10 other franchise themes all with numerous submixes. WCAU only ever edited together the original cut they used for a bump. The theme they used/are using is a min long.

Now you mentioned it, I shouldn't be surprised.

Then I say to myself how many ways you can make a package sound so great. Then I realize many cuts are less than a few seconds to less than a minute.

LA Groove (sounding like broken record) just didn't fit the vibe of the new NBC 10. The recent years went to a very kick***, fast paced, driving force to its news delivery. Also the substance of the news (which every station should still look up to 10 for) also fit with the style of the theme, believe it or not. KHOU's V2 of Propulsion fits into this description to a lesser extent. Going showtunes ruined the entire vibe of delivering the news.

Arnold isn't kidding when a stations ratings can be impacted up to 15% because of sonic branding news music. The times I would see 10 with LA Groove, I wouldn't stay on it for long. The music would make me go mellow or fall asleep. You loose connection to the viewers.