NBC 10 Thread

WCAUTVNBC10

They did a story recently about the last construction beam being installed in the building. There was no reference at all to them moving into that building in the future. Don't you think they would have said, "Oh, by the way, NBC10 will be relocating to the new Comcast Center at such and such a date"?

https://corporate.comcast.com/media-center/ctc-comcast-technology-center

• Like 5

What sorts of restrictions would apply to NBC 10s Lincoln Financial Field’s camera - I assume they can’t use it during games but would it apply to pre and post game shows?

They used it as the backdrop for the news set during their postgame show/newscast last night.

• 1 month later...

So. It's going to snow on Wednesday. Biggest snowfall of the year. I have a four tuner Tivo and I was able to catch WPVI, KYW, and WCAU's late news. (I had to keep a tuner tuned to cable news as I had to follow the latest sideshow with the current white house.)

Anyway. The snowfall maps come out. Every station is somewhat different. Cecily Tynan on 6 has a big, broad swath of 8-16 over the area, which is a little excessive methinks, but we'll go with that. Over on 3, Kate Bilo has a map that's a little more detailed, with the city sandwiched right inbetween a 3-6 and 6-12 band, but with a graphic indicating "moderate confidence". I like 3's map a little better than 6's.

Then I watched 10 to see their call.

Tammie Souza presents a few neighborhood zoom-ins with snowfall localized by neighborhood. There are about a dozen locations on screen on each zoom-in. The numbers look completely random and absurdly specific. Center City, for example, gets 5.4 inches while the northeast gets 4.8. I was completely and utterly baffled, and at the end of the screen I yelled at the TV "JUST GIVE US A %^&$ING MAP!" It was information overload and Tammie didn't offer much in the way of context, it was just "here's the numbers".

To their credit, they did give us a snow map at the end of the newscast but the damage was done. I am not a fan of Tammie. At all.

Oh, and I think they're calling for 5-9. They had this weird gradient across all the totals that it was hard to see what they were calling for. A decent snow map cannot be that hard!

• Like 2

So. It's going to snow on Wednesday. Biggest snowfall of the year. I have a four tuner Tivo and I was able to catch WPVI, KYW, and WCAU's late news. (I had to keep a tuner tuned to cable news as I had to follow the latest sideshow with the current white house.)

Anyway. The snowfall maps come out. Every station is somewhat different. Cecily Tynan on 6 has a big, broad swath of 8-16 over the area, which is a little excessive methinks, but we'll go with that. Over on 3, Kate Bilo has a map that's a little more detailed, with the city sandwiched right inbetween a 3-6 and 6-12 band, but with a graphic indicating "moderate confidence". I like 3's map a little better than 6's.

Tammie Souza presents a few neighborhood zoom-ins with snowfall localized by neighborhood. There are about a dozen locations on screen on each zoom-in. The numbers look completely random and absurdly specific. Center City, for example, gets 5.4 inches while the northeast gets 4.8. I was completely and utterly baffled, and at the end of the screen I yelled at the TV "JUST GIVE US A %^&$ING MAP!" It was information overload and Tammie didn't offer much in the way of context, it was just "here's the numbers".

To their credit, they did give us a snow map at the end of the newscast but the damage was done. I am not a fan of Tammie. At all.

Oh, and I think they're calling for 5-9. They had this weird gradient across all the totals that it was hard to see what they were calling for. A decent snow map cannot be that hard!

Seems like a bit of an overreaction on your part. Tammie seems to be solid everytime I watch her.

On a separate note, since our friends in DC at WRC stole Doug Kammerer and Sheena Parveen from us, can we get either Chris Lawrence, Adam Tuss (Philly native), or David Culver from them to fill the weekend evening co-anchor slot. I mean, they are on anchor overload at WRC anyway.

Can you post montages of the Philly stations' special winter storm coverage on your YouTube? Thanks!

Can you post montages of the Philly stations' special winter storm coverage on your YouTube? Thanks!

We'll see. I have a brand new desktop setup now, and while I'd like to set it up for video capture (it's primarily a games machine at the moment), I'll be working during the storm. Possibly into the overnight hours, so we'll see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does the actual weather set ever make it on air? Because it looks like a hot mess (a term I don’t really use)

[MEDIA=twitter]976562311275143168[/MEDIA]

Also if I was working at the desk in front of that little PTZ camera it would have paper taped over it. I know people are in the TV business to be scene but I don’t need any to see me working up close.

• Like 1

Spoiler: Most sets behind the scenes *are* a hot mess.

10's one in particular is probably even more so because IIRC that weather area was built back when they were still using the two-story Schwaid era news set--before they went HD!

Does the actual weather set ever make it on air? Because it looks like a hot mess (a term I don’t really use)

[MEDIA=twitter]976562311275143168[/MEDIA]

Also if I was working at the desk in front of that little PTZ camera it would have paper taped over it. I know people are in the TV business to be scene but I don’t need any to see me working up close.

10's one in particular is probably even more so because IIRC that weather area was built back when they were still using the two-story Schwaid era news set--before they went HD!

I think HulkieD discussed this a few years ago, when 10 refreshed its set with the window video wall behind the desk. Yes, back in 2000, the set was a two-story, but I think elements of that set was removed by 2004, to make room for the massive Earthwatch set. From then, until the new HD set in 2008, the massive weather set was shown pretty extensively, even to the point where stand-up shots were sometimes done there. When the HD set was built, that massive weather set shrunk, and with the First Alert Weather walls addition a few years ago, that original weather space back in 2004, had been greatly reduced.

I think HulkieD discussed this a few years ago, when 10 refreshed its set with the window video wall behind the desk. Yes, back in 2000, the set was a two-story, but I think elements of that set was removed by 2004, to make room for the massive Earthwatch set. From then, until the new HD set in 2008, the massive weather set was shown pretty extensively, even to the point where stand-up shots were sometimes done there. When the HD set was built, that massive weather set shrunk, and with the First Alert Weather walls addition a few years ago, that original weather space back in 2004, had been greatly reduced.

Thanks. I was curious as I don’t think I’ve ever really seen the actual area from where the picture was taken. It looks like that area was also cannibalized as a work space as well. From what I’ve seen some of the Telemundo 62 Weather prep work goes on down there as well.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Came across what could be WCAU's future set in the Comcast Technology Center:

http://kris-cerola.com/#/broadcastdesign/

WCAU+W%5B02%5D+12+30+16.jpg?format=1000w

WCAU+W%5B03%5D+12+30+16.jpg?format=1000w

I'd like to see what the finished product would look like but it looks pretty nice (I'll even forgive them for using the Pittsburgh skyline in the video wall shot).

• Like 5

I should add that it would make an incredible set. Having the option of two different ways to present from the home base (the large monitor wall) and the random assortment of monitors with what looks like they could be the newsroom. The newsroom backdrop could open or they could have a privacy screen that would be backlit with the LED glass walls. The corner soft set looks nice.

That would be a nice set. If the view is nice, their new set should take advantage of being up off the ground. I can't remember how high. WCAUTVNBC10 said they are hoping to move into the new building this summer.

• 2 weeks later...
Came across what could be WCAU's future set in the Comcast Technology Center:

http://kris-cerola.com/#/broadcastdesign/

WCAU+W%5B02%5D+12+30+16.jpg?format=1000w

WCAU+W%5B03%5D+12+30+16.jpg?format=1000w

I'd like to see what the finished product would look like but it looks pretty nice (I'll even forgive them for using the Pittsburgh skyline in the video wall shot).

Love the new set.
  • Like 1