NBC 10 Thread

WCAUTVNBC10

New weather graphics on NBC 10. Looks a lot like the west coast O&Os' Microclimate forecasts. A weather ticker now appears at the bottom of the screen. Also the weather's being done from a new 4 panel touchscreen setup.

Yeah, I'm watching right now - most of the regions days aren't populated at the bottom of the screen.

Didn't WPVI have a side bar for a while last year?

Yeah, I'm watching right now - most of the regions days aren't populated at the bottom of the screen.

Didn't WPVI have a side bar for a while last year?

For like a week or two after they got their current weather look.

Also here's what the forecasts will now look like:

• Like 1

Even though I think this "Neighborhood Weather" idea has never been great, I actually like that idea and I'm glad that WCAU has it. Now, if only my NBC O&O WTVJ had that because WTVJ's weather presentation doesn't have any of that. No weather ticker with 7-day forecast at the bottom or on the left side (like KNBC), no neighborhood or zone-by-zone forecasts, none of that. It makes WTVJ's weather presentation, pretty boring and normal just like my favorite station, WSVN.

• Like 1

Not sure I am a fan of the cities in boxes, and not on a map -- there appears to be no arrangement (alphabetical, or geographical) on some displays. I get it is new, and clearly there is a learning curve both on use and presentation, and the graphics themselves are certainly sharp.

• Like 5

WPVI shows a daily planner on the side bar during the morning forecasts. I've heard David and Karen both refer to it as the "always-on day planner."

I don't see why this is so ... revolutionary? Yeah, it's neat, especially the partnership with WU, but WPVI has been showing temps in regions / specific towns for ... years? Especially in the morning and the 5:20ish forecast. They zoom in to Philly proper, the Lehigh Valley, Jersey, Delaware and show temps. They also show forecasts everyday for Philly, Allentown, and Atlantic City. And, WFMZ does the same. They zoom in on Lehigh & Northampton Counties and show temps in various places. I don't watch NBC10 ... do they not do this??

• Like 1

WPVI shows a daily planner on the side bar during the morning forecasts. I've heard David and Karen both refer to it as the "always-on day planner."

I don't see why this is so ... revolutionary? Yeah, it's neat, especially the partnership with WU, but WPVI has been showing temps in regions / specific towns for ... years? Especially in the morning and the 5:20ish forecast. They zoom in to Philly proper, the Lehigh Valley, Jersey, Delaware and show temps. They also show forecasts everyday for Philly, Allentown, and Atlantic City. And, WFMZ does the same. They zoom in on Lehigh & Northampton Counties and show temps in various places. I don't watch NBC10 ... do they not do this??

They actually did. Each forecast breaks down the current, high, and low temps down to the region, only showing specific towns. I guess now with the WeatherUnderground partnership, they can zoom down to even smaller towns and municipalities. I like the idea of narrowing down forecasts to specific regions/towns, but I hope 10 tweaks some things onward. After watching their forecasts tonight, I felt bombarded with numbers. I did experience some sort of nostalgia though when Glenn showed a 10-day forecast; reminded me of his old 10-day trend back in the Earthwatch era/early 2000s.

Also, I've noticed 10 in the mornings showing current temps of specific towns using their banner coming out of and going into breaks.

Well, that more or less confirms a new graphics package for the O&O's. Now I wonder if they will all roll it out at the same time.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. These new weather graphics use the same colors and fonts as the current package (Artworks has produced graphics with a similar title bar layout in the past). An update to this package, maybe, but a whole new package is a bit of a stretch. Sometimes stations get new weather computers and use the opportunity to update the graphics.

I mean, this IS WCAU we're talking about, they have a history of deviating from the rest of the O&O's...

All I'm saying is don't get your hopes up too much.

• Like 2

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. These new weather graphics use the same colors and fonts as the current package (Artworks has produced graphics with a similar title bar layout in the past). An update to this package, maybe, but a whole new package is a bit of a stretch. Sometimes stations get new weather computers and use the opportunity to update the graphics.

I mean, this IS WCAU we're talking about, they have a history of deviating from the rest of the O&O's...

All I'm saying is don't get your hopes up too much.

To me it's more of just using what KNTV has. They have the same layout with the different webcam views and ticker bar at the bottom complete with WeatherUnderground branding. Since WeatherUnderground is a division to The Weather Company I guess they're including this as one of the additional services akin to when WeatherBug provided hyper local forecasts.

Their zones are cover a Significant area in their own right. They have Philadelphia, PA Sububurbs, South Jersey, Jersey Shore, Delaware, Lehigh Valley

• Like 1

To me it's more of just using what KNTV has. They have the same layout with the different webcam views and ticker bar at the bottom complete with WeatherUnderground branding. Since WeatherUnderground is a division to The Weather Company I guess they're including this as one of the additional services akin to when WeatherBug provided hyper local forecasts.

Their zones are cover a Significant area in their own right. They have Philadelphia, PA Sububurbs, South Jersey, Jersey Shore, Delaware, Lehigh Valley

Now that I look at what KNTV has... It IS the same thing, just the WCAU titlebar doesn't appear to slightly transparent like KNTV's.

The ticker and just about everything else is identical though.

An indicator of a graphics modification coming down the line is the fact that these new weather graphics extend beyond the 4:3 protected space. This is the first thing they have run that has taken advantage of modern picture dimensions.

• Like 2

WCAU snaked the Welcome America festivities from WPVI:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Comcast-NBCUniversal-becomes-media-partner-in-Wawa-Welcome-America-festival-376752211.html

They now corner the market on the city's fireworks shows. WWSI will cover the events en español.

The next thing that NBC10 will take from WPVI is the Most Watched News title.

• Like 1

It seems you're not the only one that would like to see her back to afternoon/evenings. However, with how important morning newscasts are becoming, a strong anchor like Tracy is needed.

[MEDIA=twitter]717660710231281664[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]717660064862044161[/MEDIA]

Tracy is anchoring at 4pm again today with Jim. I'm still convinced that they're testing different pairs in the mornings and afternoon/evenings. I see she was on in the morning too.

On the weather front, the schedule for the time being seems to be Violeta Yes handling Saturdays and Glenn handling Sundays while getting a weekday off (on that day Bill usually adds the 11am while Sheena adds the 4pm/6pm).

• Like 1

Tracy is anchoring at 4pm again today with Jim. I'm still convinced that they're testing different pairs in the mornings and afternoon/evenings. I see she was on in the morning too.

On the weather front, the schedule for the time being seems to be Violeta Yes handling Saturdays and Glenn handling Sundays while getting a weekday off (on that day Bill usually adds the 11am while Sheena adds the 4pm/6pm).

She's filling in for Jackie who did a sit down interview with Joe Biden this afternoon. They mentioned Jackie would be back at 6.

That said their main anchor team is set. Jim, Jackie and Glenn in the afternoons and sub Glenn for Sheena at 11. The only vacancy is who will pair up with Keith Jones at 5.

She's filling in for Jackie who did a sit down interview with Joe Biden this afternoon. They mentioned Jackie would be back at 6.

That said their main anchor team is set. Jim, Jackie and Glenn in the afternoons and sub Glenn for Sheena at 11. The only vacancy is who will pair up with Keith Jones at 5.

Wasn't implying that Jackie was being supplanted by Tracy. Just saying they could've easily used Denise or Rosemary to sub as they do otherwise. It seems Tracy is in the mix along with other two to be paired with Keith, and they could mix up the evenings pairs as they did when Renee was still there.