NBC 10 Thread

WCAUTVNBC10

Guest Newshound

From watching wcau, I can say it looks as though whoever is running their control room during this strike seems to have things a bit more together now, compared with the pope coverage. Not as many technical glitches. However, with the possibility of a big wind and rain storm coming in the next few days, i'm assuming 10 would want to do extended coverage, especially with the possibility of a hurricane moving close to us. I wonder, though, how would 10 handle a breaking news situation like that, with limited resources, like they have now, both in the control room and out in the field? Has anyone else noticed that most of their reporters have taped packages now, instead of doing live shots?

From watching wcau, I can say it looks as though whoever is running their control room during this strike seems to have things a bit more together now, compared with the pope coverage. Not as many technical glitches. However, with the possibility of a big wind and rain storm coming in the next few days, i'm assuming 10 would want to do extended coverage, especially with the possibility of a hurricane moving close to us. I wonder, though, how would 10 handle a breaking news situation like that, with limited resources, like they have now, both in the control room and out in the field? Has anyone else noticed that most of their reporters have taped packages now, instead of doing live shots?

When Sandy hit, they brought in reporters from WMAQ, KXAS and WTVJ. They might do the same this time around and hopefully have some photographers come with them.

Also it wouldn't surprise me if reporters doing taped packages are out flying solo. In a lot of these taped pieces reporters are using lapel mics instead of handhelds.

Guest Newshound

First, let me say this. I had no idea that the wcau reporters actually needed security guards because they were being harassed by the striking woloers, until I read that philly biz journal article. Do you guys think this helps or hurts their cause? The bigger question I have is, that I noticed some reporters have live shots and others don't. For example, cydney long was in mercer county tonight. During this strike, how does wcau decide where they need live shots, and where they really don't need them? Just curious.

I just saw online on the Philadelphia Business Journal's website that the nbc10 strike seems to be getting a big ugly. The striking workers are apparently disrupting the live shots of nbc10's reporters. Now, security has to travel with the reporters. Wow. I sure hope this gets resolved soon. There has been little progress in contract talks.

I'm trying to figure out how will these technicians and management will get along once the strike is over. It must be awkward to return to work and resume a relationship with your employer and colleagues that you have been publicly trashing for the past week.

Is there any word on those two employees that were hit by station vehicles?

I'm at

Also wasn't a KTTV employee on strike a few weeks back fired for interrupting a live shot?

Guest Newshound

Hey rkolsen. It's always good to get your thoughts and everyone else's thoughts on this. To your point, That's exactly what I was thinking. How weird will it be for them when they return to 10 Monument Road? Could their be damage done to their relationship with management, because of the things that have happened? Also, rkolsen, or anyone else that may know this, how exactly does 10 choose where to have live shots during this strike? Cydney Long was in Mercer county, she did a live shot, but yet, Ted Greenberg didn't do a live shot from down the shore. Just an example of what I'm talking about.

Hey rkolsen. It's always good to get your thoughts and everyone else's thoughts on this. To your point, That's exactly what I was thinking. How weird will it be for them when they return to 10 Monument Road? Could their be damage done to their relationship with management, because of the things that have happened? Also, rkolsen, or anyone else that may know this, how exactly does 10 choose where to have live shots during this strike? Cydney Long was in Mercer county, she did a live shot, but yet, Ted Greenberg didn't do a live shot from down the shore. Just an example of what I'm talking about.

Ted tried to go live during the 4PM today and was heckled and interrupted by striking workers so I guess they decided not to go back to him for the rest of the night. The control room is contact with the field reporters and I'm sure they relay to the control room whether or not their live shot might be picketed.

Guest Newshound

I don't get it. Can someone explain to me how the striking workers would even find out where the live shots would take place? Also, are they trying to disrupt every live shot, or specific ones?

Are the strikers following WCAU live trucks out to the shots or are they finding out locations from the radio (assuming WCAU still uses radios)?

Have any WWSI live shots been interrupted?

That's probably how they're doing it. Intercepting radio communications. Last I checked they still used radios to communicate with reporters.

That's probably how they're doing it. Intercepting radio communications. Last I checked they still used radios to communicate with reporters.

Thanks. I wasn't sure. I've heard some stations have switched to either cell phones calls only or push to talk enabled devices.

Wow, that's crazy. What kind of radios do they use? Also, Are the striking workers interrupting all live shots, or just some of them?

I don't know the specifics but think of it as a walkie talkie.

Guest Newshound

Has anyone seen the phillymag.com article about nbc10? Apparently, it has something to do with one of the union members asking homeland security to investigate wcau for a massive security breach, involving their fill-in staffers during the papal weekend? I read through it, but am not sure what to believe. Go to qillymag.com to read it. Very interesting. Thoughts on this?

Guest Newshound

To rkolsen's earlier question about if any charges will be filed against the two people who were hit by cars last week, I just saw another article on phillymag.com. No charges will be filed. However, a picketer was charged, for trying to prevent an nbc10 employee from leaving the parking lot. It's really crazy with this stuff going on, isn't it? Apparently, the article also says that the striking workers continue to picket outside the nbc10 studios. How weird do you think the staff feels when they see people picketing outside their studio. That must be awkward, to say the least.

Guest Newshound

Apparently, I saw online somewhere that the union continues to picket the live shots. Ted Greenberg did a taped package this morning, from the Jersey shore on the heavy wind and rain. Does anyone know if his live shot was possibly picketed again today? Maybe wcautvnbc10 or others may know?

• Like 1

Guest Newshound

I don't know what to believe. If this is indeed true that a security breach did happen, could this spell trouble for wcau's management? You could also look at it from the other side as well, though, and say this is just a tactic from the union. Thoughts on this?

It's a pile of crap because they brought the replacement photographers in a week before the Papal Visit when the union made their strike vote in the first place. That would have given thfem plenty of time to screen and credential anyone that was going to be working the festivities. They're reaching at this point.

Also anyone who lives in this region knows this is par for the course the kind of tactics that their union boss John Dougherty pulls all the time. He's going to lead a bunch of his rank and file to pink slips if this keeps up

Yikes- the situation over there seems to have completely disintegrated. If they can't get their act together, then wave goodbye to their hopes of dethroning Action News from #1.

Does anyone think that the talent pool currently in place at WCAU has any chance of "dethroning Action News" strike or not? REALLY!!

Let's be honest... NOBODY and I mean... NOBODY is going to have a chance of dethroning Action News anytime soon. As long as...

1) Jim Gardner is still there.

2) Action News is still... Action News.

3) The MCTYW theme is still playing.

Then there will be no dethroning from WPVI 6, anytime soon. I just don't see that happening.

Let's be honest... NOBODY and I mean... NOBODY is going to have a chance of dethroning Action News anytime soon. As long as...

1) Jim Gardner is still there.

2) Action News is still... Action News.

3) The MCTYW theme is still playing.

Then there will be no dethroning from WPVI 6, anytime soon. I just don't see that happening.

Never say never. It's already happened before.

Never say never. It's already happened before.

But has anybody dethroned Action News in all newscasts in a certain time frame? NO. Action News has won the Philly news ratings for 40 years. That's not changing anytime soon. Besides, I love their station, Jim Gardner, MCTYW and their news van again!

I forgot to mention this but a while before yesterday's 4AM newscast their computer networks went down. From what I understand nearly everything went down and they were able to get a bare bones show on air and most was normal around 4:30 AM when they started peri scoping.

I'm not familiar with OverDrive but does it regularly back up the working order in iNews containing the run down, scripts, MOS and other essential data? If the other network issues pertained could they start the broadcast using the backed up running order already in overdrive.

Now was yesterday's outage, just a normal outage, an outage due to neglect, an outage due to an inexperienced scab doing the work or a striker trying to mess them up.

• Like 1

I haven't used iNews and Overdrive together, but I would gather that, assuming Overdrive didn't also fail, Overdrive still needs access to the rundowns, video, and whatnot through iNews/ENPS. On top of that, it would be somewhat difficult for the producer to be able to know what's going on and how to time the show without it.

Also, it's stupid to think that one station will be the ratings leader forever. Nothing in this life is forever. And WPVI, despite what many people think, isn't necessarily the untouchable station that it's made out to be. They've had success and will probably continue to be successful for many years to come, but nothing is forever. Plenty of stations once believed to be on the same level have faltered before.

• Like 2