NBC 10 Thread

WCAUTVNBC10

Surprised there hasn't been one made yet so here we go with its first post.

The Daily News is reporting that WCAU is shaking up the morning show...again and going with three anchors spread out over the 3 hour show. Chris Cato joins the cast and solos from 4-4:30AM then Tracy Davidson joins him at 4:30 and they pair up from 4:30-5:30. Vai Sikahema then comes in for Cato and does the remaining 90 mins with Tracy. I wonder if there will be different feels to the show with the varying personnel.

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/celebrities/20140318_Chris_Cato_on_mornings_at_NBC10.html

Yeah, too much going on, too many changes, particularly ones that don't make sense. Just give Vai and Tracy the entire 4-7am shift. As for the 11am, they should give it two anchors and stop rotating it! Either give it to Keith & Renee, or Vai & Tracy. Keep Chris on the weekends!!

Yeah, too much going on, too many changes, particularly ones that don't make sense. Just give Vai and Tracy the entire 4-7am shift. As for the 11am, they should give it two anchors and stop rotating it! Either give it to Keith & Renee, or Vai & Tracy. Keep Chris on the weekends!!

The 11AM is Renee's

I agree, keep Chris on the weekends. He reminds me of a wannabe Ron Burgundy.

4am-7am: Stick to one team. Stability is a big key in this town. Vai nor Chris cuts it for me in the morning though. Keith Jones was the masterful fit in the morning, but is making good on his promotion. I'd rather see Rosemary Connors and Tracy Davidson together. That one week where she filled in for Vai was very good. Also when she filled in for Denise Nakano & Chris Cato this weekend evening, by herself, she did wonderful. I think she, as with Natasha Brown at 3, is underutilized and wish they'd use her more, or she'd get away the same way Kristen Welker did.

11am: Renee & "Hurricane".

They've really been high on Nakano and Cato especially under the new management. Nakano is one of the primary fill-ins as well as one of the primary reporters they use during the 11pm. I've been seeing Connors anchoring a lot more recently as well - she is very talented and they should at least pair her with Nakano on weekdays. Cato - well, I'm surprised he hasn't been given a weekday slot sooner. I do agree that Keith Jones was a fantastic morning anchor and still is probably the best choice, though they're doing a good job turning him into one of the faces of the station.

The problem is, yes, I think they're getting a bit too crowded as far as talent goes. I don't think having one co-anchor do half the morning news and another do the other half is a good idea. If you're a Fox station and have that 7am-9am slot, then it would work (29 did a similar thing when they had George Mallet/Kerri-Lee Halkett/Jennaphr Frederick as a three-person team. Kerri-Lee would do the 5:30am half hour, George would come in and co-anchor with Kerri-Lee for the 6am hour, Jennaphr would join for 7am-9am). However, you have Today, and unless they decide to do 7-9 on Cozi... yeah.

The 11am... I think Renee and Hurricane do fine there, though I liked it when it was Keith Jones, since they do some light interview segments so they can get some of the paid sponsorship cash they used to get with the 10 show. Jones was great at that.

---

Anyway, today's 11am was interesting. Cato was anchoring it, and they made an abrupt switch to the news helicopter crash coming out of Seattle. I think they even were taking a raw feed from KING. I think the fact that the GM originated from KIRO has something to do with how big they went on that story. I have their breaking news coverage encoding right now...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Looks like something is up studio wise. They've got a temporary setup in the streetside studio (the former 10! Show studio) they've been using since 11AM this morning. I can't see them getting a completely new set since they're moving downtown in 3 years but their current set had been around since 2008 and it could use a refresh to hold them over til '17.

Looks like NBC 10 will be looking for a new weather person http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/tedd-florendo-returns-to-las-vegas_b128097

Ted was a good addition for them. Being a weekday evening meteorologist was something he can't pass with. Best of luck for him!

Watching NBC 10 News at 4pm, and it looks like they are doing it on a temporary setup/anchordesk from the interview area they use towards the end of 11am news. I wonder what's up!?!

Isn't that where they based the newscasts when they went to their current studio back in December 2008? It makes sense to update it in someway now since the set will have been in existence for 9 years in 2017.

Lastly, I'm just wondering how 10's fall daytime lineup is going to look.. Is it news at 11, Days at noon, Meredith at 1, Steve at 2, and Ellen at 3?

Looks like something is up studio wise. They've got a temporary setup in the streetside studio (the former 10! Show studio) they've been using since 11AM this morning. I can't see them getting a completely new set since they're moving downtown in 3 years but their current set had been around since 2008 and it could use a refresh to hold them over til '17.

I'd say they could do a major refresh - I seriously doubt the new Comcast Innovation and Technology tower will be completed on time. I'm guessing 2018 move in time at the earliest. But then again they could start moving in before the tower is fully completed with that being said I doubt they would do any broadcasting from it while the tower is still a construction site. I never cared for the style of the set that much.

You know they could even get a whole new set like how WNBC moved around in the past six or seven years. Now that they are a flagship they could get more money.

Ted was a good addition for them. Being a weekday evening meteorologist was something he can't pass with. Best of luck for him!

Isn't that where they based the newscasts when they went to their current studio back in December 2008? It makes sense to update it in someway now since the set will have been in existence for 9 years in 2017.

Lastly, I'm just wondering how 10's fall daytime lineup is going to look.. Is it news at 11, Days at noon, Meredith at 1, Steve at 2, and Ellen at 3?

Pretty sure that is the lineup.

I think a new set is compeltly possible. Keep inmind ch6 got a brand new set in 2006, despite knowing they would be moving to a new studio in 3 yrs, and as already mentioned there's a good chance ch10's move won't be ontime.

I'd say they could do a major refresh - I seriously doubt the new Comcast Innovation and Technology tower will be completed on time. I'm guessing 2018 move in time at the earliest. But then again they could start moving in before the tower is fully completed with that being said I doubt they would do any broadcasting from it while the tower is still a construction site. I never cared for the style of the set that much.

You know they could even get a whole new set like how WNBC moved around in the past six or seven years. Now that they are a flagship they could get more money.

What ever they're up to looks like it isn't effecting the weather center too much. They're still doing the weather from there (although they aren't using the virtual weather set which is done on a huge full length green screen just to the right of the news desk).

That said I can see them installing a video wall backdrop like a few of their sister stations have adopted and doing something about that monitor array that never really served any purpose.other than as a backdrop to some standups

Bill Henley told me their installing a video wall behind the anchor desk and their adding 113" monitors around the studio. All he said was "we're revamping the studio" so I don't know if that means their getting a new set as well or not. They will continue using the street side studio until the renovations are finished and weather and traffic will still be done in the regular studio.

Awesome. They're probably going to keep the general look and feel of the current set but add in those new elements. I wonder if they're going to add some useful space in there cause in its current iteration there is a lot of empty space behind the anchors that never got to really be used cause the robotic cameras couldn't access it properly.

Awesome. They're probably going to keep the general look and feel of the current set but add in those new elements. I wonder if they're going to add some useful space in there cause in its current iteration there is a lot of empty space behind the anchors that never got to really be used cause the robotic cameras couldn't access it properly.

Bill Henley just gave me a tour last Friday of their studio. It's big but tiny since they have a lot of stuff in there. There are 4 robotic cameras, the anchor desk, 2 green screens (one gigantic one and a small one), and the big weather center. There is a lot of space between the anchor desk and the glass wall. They could move the desk back about 2 feet.

I liked WCAU's set going back to the 2008 launch. It has that Philadelphia feel (small but big city.) I don't know if I mentioned this but I thought WCAU had like 3 big studios dating back to the CBS days and things probably changed over the years. I wonder if the sets will be smaller or studios will be 1 or .5 when they move to Center City in 3 years.

I love that set.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/oC1k9uQ87-4[/yt]

EDIT: Just when I thought I got the hang of linking YouTubes, I apparently posted a "playlist" - Don't cha miss the days when you clicked a link on one's profile you actually got to the video without any bloated JavaScript playlist BS???

I found recent video from HulkieD (err, Matt's) YouTube from WCAU. I don't know if such things have already been said.

• Paging Drop Shadows! Where is it on time/temp bug? It makes it very hard to read.
  • I still can't take the off the shelf version of Look F, I felt WCAU's version should had been the official version, because it looks professional. I don't like the serif font that was used in the L&O opens for many years.
  • I do love that NBC logo used on the far left L3. The crop and the gradient effects adds appeal.
  • And what in the hell is the Digital Operations Center needing to have such long name? Up here WBZ recently started a new shot called the "Sat Center". Isn't it just another ingest room? If I was a microwave signal, I'd sue for on air discrimination! I know this has been around for NBC 10 for at least a year or more, not sure when they got the fancy name and decal used in the taped teases.
  • I don't like the use of the open for a stinger going to break. It worked out awesome for the 360 theme (including 2011 Look C had the same idea), but LA Groove wasn't composed with the idea of normal, going to break stingers. Since changing themes - its actually clutter.

I still like the departure of the old NBC 10 News, they still are focusing on the serious news with a personality to it. This is also a NBC owned property, which leads to wondering why can't they in their own news operation (network, sister O&Os, etc.) look up to WCAU? Serious news is a marketable trend, if every station in the country could take notes.

I liked WCAU's set going back to the 2008 launch. It has that Philadelphia feel (small but big city.) I don't know if I mentioned this but I thought WCAU had like 3 big studios dating back to the CBS days and things probably changed over the years. I wonder if the sets will be smaller or studios will be 1 or .5 when they move to Center City in 3 years.

I love that set

They did have 3. One was converted into the current newsroom. The other survives today and the third was where the two radio stations resided til CBS moved them across the street.