NBC 10 Thread

WCAUTVNBC10

More hiring by NBC10 -- quite a robust spree they've got going

Leah Uko and Brian Sheehan Join NBC10 News Team

• Uko starts on March 7 as a nightside reporter. She hails from Charleston, SC's WCIV and Fox 11 in LA before that.
  • Sheehan was already at NBC10 but is joining full-time as a weeknight/weekend reporter, and hails from Harrisburg's WHP.

• 2 weeks later...

Frances seems to be firmly planted on weekend mornings, but Johnny has bounced around in his anchoring responsibilities. I think he’s done a great job filling in and would love to see him paired with Tracy, maybe at 11am and one or two of the evening shows (either at 4&6 or at 5). He’s too good to be buried in the weekends. 

2 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

Another departure, and it's a big one- Hurricane Schwartz is retiring in May

I'm glad though he will be doing his own thing, especially with the current and real dangers (not opinionating just stating what I believe is true) of climate change.  He will be missed though.  I wonder how many bow ties he has in his collection.

Best of luck Glenn.  You are the man.

-- Matt

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, G2000 said:

Brian James was doing the weather this morning. I’ve never seen him before. It looked like he was doing the weather from home with a green screen.

His Twitter bio has him freelancing for NBC San Diego & Philly, based out of Dallas-Fort Worth. 

On 2/25/2022 at 11:46 AM, susquvalleywgal said:

I'm glad though he will be doing his own thing, especially with the current and real dangers (not opinionating just stating what I believe is true) of climate change.  He will be missed though.  I wonder how many bow ties he has in his collection.

Best of luck Glenn.  You are the man.

-- Matt

It's true because the science says it's true. Truth isn't an opinion. It's substantiated by evidence.

• 1 month later...

Meteorologist Krystal Klei is leaving the station for her hometown of Phoenix, AZ.

Krystal Klei headed for Phoenix, via her IG

With the recent retirement of Hurricane, and the maternity leave of Brittany Shipp, this will leave only Bill Henley & Steve Sosna as the only actual F.A.W. team members for the time being.

Maybe more help from remote wether people (such as Brian James from Dallas) and Telemundo 62 temporarily? 

Edited by ThunderJay27

On 6/2/2022 at 5:29 PM, ThunderJay27 said:

Meteorologist Krystal Klei is leaving the station for her hometown of Phoenix, AZ.

With the recent retirement of Hurricane, and the maternity leave of Brittany Shipp, this will leave only Bill Henley & Steve Sosna as the only actual F.A.W. team members for the time being.

Maybe more help from remote wether people (such as Brian James from Dallas) and Telemundo 62 temporarily? 

I'm a bit shocked that they didn't ask WNBC or any of the east coast O&O's for help on the Philly weather.. Violeta Yas just left WCAU/Telemundo-WWSI for WNBC/WNJU and has been there since Mid-Feb.

Edited by Spintech33

On 6/2/2022 at 5:29 PM, ThunderJay27 said:

Bill’s got to be up there in age, maybe 65? Can’t imagine he wants to work past 70. Really liked Krystal and feel she was underutilized. Steve just doesn’t do it for me, not sure why they picked him up. I imagine they’ll utilize some of the T62 weather people as they did one morning last week. 

On 6/3/2022 at 11:55 PM, Spintech33 said:

I'm a bit shocked that they didn't ask WNBC or any of the east coast O&O's for help on the Philly weather.. Violeta Yas just left WCAU/Telemundo-WWSI for WNBC/WNJU and has been there since Mid-Feb.

What exactly has been her role there? Has she even been on air?

7 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Bill’s got to be up there in age, maybe 65? Can’t imagine he wants to work past 70. Really liked Krystal and feel she was underutilized. Steve just doesn’t do it for me, not sure why they picked him up. I imagine they’ll utilize some of the T62 weather people as they did one morning last week. 

What exactly has been her role there? Has she even been on air?

She's been on air on WNBC. My only guess is that they are using her if any of the other meteorologists are off.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 10:22 PM, Spintech33 said:

She's been on air on WNBC. My only guess is that they are using her if any of the other meteorologists are off.  

Violeta Yas is on 'CAU at 4p today. It was mentioned that she was "from our sister station in New York".

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

When Brittany Shipp comes back from maternity leave, it will bring some stability back to the First Alert Weather team. I am surprised Steve has not filled in M-F and another meteorologist (from Telemundo) fills in for him in weekend evenings.

I just want to note how grateful I am that the entire 10 crew that was down on the Ben Franklin Parkway, broadcasting the Wawa Welcome America concert and fireworks show, are all safe.

Alot of the team was very close to where those gunshots were fired.

Also the 2 officers that were hit were treated and released, and the 1, miraculously, had the bullet stop in his hat!

Alot of the team had to shelter under the desk, stages, wherever they could find a safe place, then, in some cases, run for their own safety. 

I'm sure it's sometimes scary to have to cover these kind of potential tragic events, but when you're now part in it, I can't even imagine. 

So glad everyone involved is safe. 🙏 

(From the operational standpoint, I don't have any video of the transition from them showing the fireworks to the breaking news.)

• Like 3

Couldn’t agree more @ThunderJay27 , NBC10 was amazing last night. Glad everyone at the station is ok.

They finished airing the fireworks then went to a 30ish second promo for their storm ranger, then came back on for the breaking news with Keith & Tracy at the desk in studio live at 10:03PM, so they were on it right away. NBC10 stayed live til 12:35AM, and had the best coverage by far. Going to Jim & Jaqueline on the parkway and other reporters they already had in the area gave them the advantage over other stations who were left scrambling to send resources. 

Hearing the NBC10 reporters describe how they laid down on the stage, hid under a food truck, crawled under the platform and other stories of seeking shelter reminds us how dangerous this job can be, yet they continued to report and share essential information that kept people safe. Honestly, it was award worthy coverage in my opinion. 

I have a clip of them breaking in but the file is too big so I’ll figure something out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, newsdude said:

Missed opportunity to promote Sosna. He's solid at what he does. 

I’ll disagree on that. While he may be knowledgeable, I don’t think he has the greatest on-air persona, and feel Krystal was better at that, and management obviously did too, hence why she was filling in weekday evenings.