NBC 10 Thread

WCAUTVNBC10

3 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Yup. I had a feeling something like this would happen after CBS spun the radio group off. I wonder if KYW will simulcast Nightly News now or stay local at 6:30.

My guess is local at 6:30.. Hold up. KYW radio doesn't do CBS Evening News?

I know WCBS Radio which is also under the Entercom radio network does CBS Evening news with an extended version at 7PM.

7 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

I know WCBS Radio which is also under the Entercom radio network does CBS Evening news with an extended version at 7PM.

According to the daily schedule on the station's site, the CBS Evening News airs from 6:30-6:45pm, then the station goes local at 6:45.

1 minute ago, Spintech33 said:

KYW had been simulcasting EN even after the spinoff. IIRC part of the terms of the spinoff were, CBS was to maintain their partnerships with the radio stations for a year and then they were free to do whatever they want. The Philly cluster partnering with NBC 10 is just the first shoe to drop.

That said there's nothing stopping other markets from just reupping with the CBS O&O they were previously aligned with. I think it's safe to say Entercom Philly couldn't wait to be free of CBS3 and the mess they're currently in.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

KYW had been simulcasting EN even after the spinoff. IIRC part of the terms of the spinoff were, CBS was to maintain their partnerships with the radio stations for a year and then they were free to do whatever they want. The Philly cluster partnering with NBC 10 is just the first shoe to drop.

That said there's nothing stopping other markets from just reupping with the CBS O&O they were previously aligned with. I think it's safe to say Entercom Philly couldn't wait to be free of CBS3 and the mess they're currently in.

That totally makes sense..  At least for Philly, it broadens the coverage base.

I want to see which other markets will do what Philly is doing. 

One thing is for sure I don't expect NYC or Wash DC to do this just yet.  

However, if it works in Philly, than I could see the other NBC O&O's jumping on the philly bandwagon with Entercom.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

However, if it works in Philly, than I could see the other NBC O&O's jumping on the philly bandwagon with Entercom.

I think it'll be on a market by market basis. Take LA for example. Hypothetically that cluster could partner up with say KABC but right up the coast, the SF cluster could stay with KPIX.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HulkieD said:

Just listened to my first WCAU weather report on KYW Newsradio

They apparently have to tag out with "Count on It"....

...I'm completely dead.

Not as dead as I am every time I have to hear that slogan on TV a thousand times a week (hyperbole of course). Hearing that on the radio is just too much now.

1 hour ago, HulkieD said:

(that felt weird to type)

That also felt read to read. And know.

It's even weirder when you consider they're still airing the CBS Evening News (or half of it anyway) at 6.30PM - and, I assume, the CBS TOH updates in the overnight. Wonder if that contract has to fully expire before we see the fruits of this agreement. And doesn't (Viacom)CBS -- or the shareholders of -- own almost 3/4ths of Entercom still?

3 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

DC's got you covered since WRC mets give the forecast on WTOP. I think any arrangement in NYC would be...a stretch. Accuweather's still going strong on WCBS and WINS - with Craig Allen and the occasional CBS 2 talent from time to time on 880.

14 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

It's even weirder when you consider they're still airing the CBS Evening News (or half of it anyway) at 6.30PM - and, I assume, the CBS TOH updates in the overnight. Wonder if that contract has to fully expire before we see the fruits of this agreement. And doesn't (Viacom)CBS -- or the shareholders of -- own almost 3/4ths of Entercom still?

DC's got you covered since WRC mets give the forecast on WTOP. I think any arrangement in NYC would be...a stretch. Accuweather's still going strong on WCBS and WINS - with Craig Allen and the occasional CBS 2 talent from time to time on 880.

Yes, that is correct.  Very good point @TSSZNews 

15 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

And doesn't (Viacom)CBS -- or the shareholders of -- own almost 3/4ths of Entercom still?

There were some CBS executives (including Les Moonves) that were placed on the Entercom board as part of the spinoff. Their seats were temporary while the new company got on its feet. I dunno if they're still currently there (well we know Les isn't lol) or not but those were the terms.

I'm sorry if I'm late on this but... is WCAU's new 7:00 p.m. newscast permanent? I ask because it was added as a result of Impeachment coverage being spilled over to WCAU's 4, 5 and 6PM newscasts but I'm looking at listings and it shows its a permanent part of the schedule?

Edited by TheRolyPoly

9 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I'm sorry if I'm late on this but... is WCAU's new 7:00 p.m. newscast permanent? I ask because it was added as a result of Impeachment coverage being spilled over to WCAU's 4, 5 and 6PM newscasts but I'm looking at listings and it shows its a permanent part of the schedule?

For right now it looks permanent for WCAU..  WNBC and WTVJ are still doing Access Hollywood at 7.  WRC still has their 1 hour of news at 6 for nightly news at 7.

CAU has Access Hollywood at 7:30.

WRC has Access Hollywood also at 7:30.

TV Passport Schedule for 2/11/20: https://www.tvpassport.com/tv-listings/stations/nbc-wcau-philadelphia-pa/1639 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, emmi_18 said:

Jim is anchoring the 11PM news with Keith. Has this happened before? If it has, does it happen on occasion? This is a first for me seeing both of them anchoring a newscast together. 

IIRC, the only two male anchor team that anchored the 11pm news on WCAU in the 1980s were Larry Kane and Alan Frio. This was back when 'CAU was CBS.

Edited by TexasTVNews
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, emmi_18 said:

Jim is anchoring the 11PM news with Keith. Has this happened before? If it has, does it happen on occasion? This is a first for me seeing both of them anchoring a newscast together. 

54 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

IIRC, the only two male anchor team that anchored the 11pm news on WCAU in the 1980s were Larry Kane and Alan Frio. This was back when 'CAU was CBS.

Keith and Jim references it on a Facebook Live on NBC10’s page in the 10pm hour that it was a rarity.

Back in the 90s there were regular fill-ins that resulted in male-male pairings. 10 often had John Alston filling in for Tracy at 5pm next to Tim. Also, Rob regularly was Lisa’s fill-in next to Marc on 6 at 5pm.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like 10 has switched to solo anchoring. Have not caught the mornings this week but Keith has been handling 11am and 4pm as well press conferences in between, and Jackie’s been doing 5pm, 6pm, and 11pm. All weather people have been video conferencing in.