NBC 10 Thread

WCAUTVNBC10

I guess when in doubt blame Comcast right? I'm not in any business to defend Comcast but you need to be corrected. Comcast's only hand in this was funding the festivities along with Wawa. The city and specifically the mayor shoulder the most blame in this. They are the ones that booked the acts (and pissed off The Roots). They're the ones that also decided shoot fireworks into a cloudy rain-filled sky even though they knew what the weather forecast was.

Well, alright then. I clearly stand corrected.

I'll take my finger and point to the Mayor's Office from now on.

And I'm happy that Vai and Tracy had a great time. I've said that I figured that they did great.

On the orher hand, I am NOT as obsessed with WPVI like you think everyone else is seemingly. I watch WPVI as much as I do WCAU, and I watch both on an infrequent basis. And this coming from the guy who previously had a name with Action News in the frame responding to the guy calling me out whose name is shared with the station he's defending here.

And your rant about WPVI wasn't much other than saying that many people are obsessed with it. Which is ironic.

I should apologize to Comcast for my mistake should they notice and/or care.

I hope you know light helicopters like the ones used for newsgathering and rain don't mix right?

You do know that the rain wasn't even that heavy that night, right?

I watched a broadcast years ago where it was raining that time and the chopper was still used after the rain dissipated. So yeah, I can understand if they kept it safe anyway.

Thank you for calling my bluff. As ridiculous as my words now seem, this backlash was deserved.

I'll make sure to take my reprimands to Mayor Kinney soon when I'm volunteering at the 6abc Thanksgiving Day Parade. ;)

• Like 1

Someone claiming to work for the city posted this a few weeks ago in regards to the lackluster music lineup. Take it for whats its worth. Basically the city's feud with the soda industry over the soda tax might've played a role. VH1, which had been for the last few yrs broadcasting the concert (called the 4th Of July Jam) pulled out this yr. The event's main sponsor was pepsi, and it was pepsi's sponsorship that made it possible for Philly to book higher profile acts (and more expensive), aswell as put on a 1/2hr worth of fireworks (apparently another complaint is the fireworks were short this year.)

Anyway, the guy claimed that either Pepsi pulled it's sponsorship over the soda tax, and vh1 couldn't/wouldn't find another sponsor, or mayor Kenney asked vh1 to find a new sponsor, and they refused. In anycase the person on the Philly subreddit said this was why Philly had such a lame lineup this yr. This was posted about a month ago.

This whole WaWa celebration sounds like the WMAQ's Chi Town Rising broadcast this past News Years. I imagine WCAU/WWSI's situation was just like WMAQ's - they're in charge of the broadcast and maybe have some say in the order of the lineup to make it a better fit for broadcast but not necessarily any say in the acts.

I am a bit surprised that The Roots weren't involved or had their hand dealt to them to perform by Comcast - as they're a marquee sponsor and their employer.

As for SkyForce 10 if there's shitty weather it may not be best to fly. I imagine if the view from the fireworks would be similar from the air as it would be on the ground because of the distance needed for safety.

Back to Storm Ranger10 I asked Hurricane Schwartz in Twitter how the radar will work - whether it will send data back to the stations computers to render or if it will send a rendered image as a video signal back and he replied that both will be used.

Well, alright then. I clearly stand corrected.

I'll take my finger and point to the Mayor's Office from now on.

And I'm happy that Vai and Tracy had a great time. I've said that I figured that they did great.

On the orher hand, I am NOT as obsessed with WPVI like you think everyone else is seemingly. I watch WPVI as much as I do WCAU, and I watch both on an infrequent basis. And this coming from the guy who previously had a name with Action News in the frame responding to the guy calling me out whose name is shared with the station he's defending here.

And your rant about WPVI wasn't much other than saying that many people are obsessed with it. Which is ironic.

I should apologize to Comcast for my mistake should they notice and/or care.

You do know that the rain wasn't even that heavy that night, right?

I watched a broadcast years ago where it was raining that time and the chopper was still used after the rain dissipated. So yeah, I can understand if they kept it safe anyway.

Thank you for calling my bluff. As ridiculous as my words now seem, this backlash was deserved.

I'll make sure to take my reprimands to Mayor Kinney soon when I'm volunteering at the 6abc Thanksgiving Day Parade. ;)

My rant about WPVI and its viewers wasn't directed at anyone in particular. It actually was more directed at the station itself and how it's managed to snow over its viewers buy just mailing it in these past few years and their current image campaign reflects it, probably because feel the heat from WCAU. When you have to put out promos that essentially say "Watch Us Cause that's What You're Used to and Change is Scary", you clearly have a stale product.

• Like 1

but no aerial shots was a stupid decision too

OK, here is an actual fact from July 4: At the time of the fireworks, I was watching two aerial broadcast cameras in the vicinity of the show. Visibility was zero.

Rain doesn't have to be actually falling for a low cloud ceiling to disrupt visuals.

• Like 1

My rant about WPVI and its viewers wasn't directed at anyone in particular. It actually was more directed at the station itself and how it's managed to snow over its viewers buy just mailing it in these past few years and their current image campaign reflects it, probably because feel the heat from WCAU. When you have to put out promos that essentially say "Watch Us Cause that's What You're Used to and Change is Scary", you clearly have a stale product.

I understand your rant. I'm just making that part clear about myself though.

Also, have you heard of the phrase "If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It?" They live on that mentality and it works. As you said, "Philadelphians don't like change", which is why the station has been so successful over the decades.

But I'm not like most people.

I like change, I'm open to it, and in most times I embrace it. I understand there are risks to a change and will take a while for people can get with it, like WCAU for example. Sometimes it can work and people praise it (like their news coverage), and other times it won't and people can complain (like the WWA coverage changing stations).

WPVI is what it is because no change got them success, and people love it because they can come home to the people they really know every night. If people want to go to WCAU for news, cool. That's something that should happen. And yet, here we are.

I get it; I understand you don't like what WPVI is about. That's fine. I want WCAU to win somewhere in the ratings right now too (I've also watched its newscasts since I was a kid too), but I really don't think it'll happen soon...and honestly.

And get you don't care for what I have to say, but the thing is, at the end of the day everyone won't like the same thing or change.

• Like 4

OK, here is an actual fact from July 4: At the time of the fireworks, I was watching two aerial broadcast cameras in the vicinity of the show. Visibility was zero.

Rain doesn't have to be actually falling for a low cloud ceiling to disrupt visuals.

OK, did you even read my comment? I didn't watch all of the fireworks display because I didn't enjoy much of what I saw at the beginning (most of it was from not seeing all of the fireworks) and changed the channel to another display.

Whatever you saw I didn't get to see.

For all I know, three aerial shots came up and only one showed great coverage. I wouldn't know because I didn't watch it.

I did read what you wrote.

Whoever's idea to not have SkyForce 10 broadcast parts of the coverage definitely won't have a job for this anymore. Thanks to the rainy weather and the hard smoke, all we could see was the blasts from in front of the Museum instead of all around it. I blame that instead of the station, but no aerial shots was a stupid decision too.

If you're basing this on something you didn't watch, well, you're just ranting for the sake of it. Also, you're wrong. 1) No one is losing their job for this. 2) No aerial shots was not a stupid decision because there were no shots to take.

With all of the inane things that news choppers are used to cover, do you really think they wouldn't have used theirs to cover such a big event, had it been feasible? It's unfortunate that you were disappointed in the show, but the reasons and consequences are not nearly as heavy as you think they are.

I liked the concert lineup this year but from what I understand 6ABC got into a lot of trouble the last couple of years for putting on certain artists that sparked controversey like Nicki Minaj. This year's concert was all about having a good time, but WCAU can't bring a full concert to life like WPVI can. How can you have a concert with the stage not being on the Art Museum.

WCAU didn't put together the concert. The city put together the concert. The city put together a sleepy concert and WCAU did the best they could with it. It was weak to air NYC coverage over the "big, fantastic, magical" local show, ESPECIALLY in the first year of airing it, but the national broadcast simply had the stronger acts. Let's see what lessons are learned and what everybody (WCAU, the city) does differently next year

Can we get down to the real discussion now- when are they debuting those damn new graphics?

• Like 3

WCAU didn't put together the concert. The city put together the concert. The city put together a sleepy concert and WCAU did the best they could with it. It was weak to air NYC coverage over the "big, fantastic, magical" local show, ESPECIALLY in the first year of airing it, but the national broadcast simply had the stronger acts. Let's see what lessons are learned and what everybody (WCAU, the city) does differently next year

Can we get down to the real discussion now- when are they debuting those damn new graphics?

Hopefully tonight or Tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

They could be holding out for the Olympics. They just released a couple new promos for various things and they either have elements of Look F or use Gotham as the primary font. I doubt if they were close to launching, they crank out any new promos with the old look.

They could be holding out for the Olympics. They just released a couple new promos for various things and they either have elements of Look F or use Gotham as the primary font. I doubt if they were close to launching, they crank out any new promos with the old look.

The Storm Ranger promo featured the portions weather graphics where current information would appear..

• Like 2

They are now calling the Digital Operations Center "The Breaking News Center"

"Digital Operations Center" had a nice ring to it. "Breaking News Center" just sounds too simplistic and generic. It's disappointing that they changed the former, but that's just my opinion.

WCAU just ran a next at 4 promo so I'm guessing the graphics will debut at 4pm today.

EDIT: WCAU is now using Look N

I watched a little bit of the news this morning and I have mixed feelings of Look N. While it looks more polished than the old graphics, there are some aesthetics that I don't really like, such as the slanted/italicized text and the font. Hope there's more tweaks to come.

• Like 1

"Digital Operations Center" had a nice ring to it. "Breaking News Center" just sounds too simplistic and generic. It's disappointing that they changed the former, but that's just my opinion.

I watched a little bit of the news this morning and I have mixed feelings of Look N. While it looks more polished than the old graphics, there are some aesthetics that I don't really like, such as the slanted/italicized text and the font. Hope there's more tweaks to come.

Least they're using DIN again like they did with Look C.