NBC 10 Thread

WCAUTVNBC10

oh wow it changed?
He was gonna be expelled. It didn't happen, because the sit in prevented the vote from taking place, but the GOP had the votes to expel him, and even had the press release already made up (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClptIr0UoAAF8Ge.jpg:large). My guess is he resigned before the sit in ended so he could keep whatever benefits he has earned. I think he would've lost them had he been expelled.

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently WCAU's Wawa Welcome America Festival coverage has ticked off a lot of people. Some want it back on 6abc, some can't find out the channel it's on because of their ignorance, among other complaints, courtesy of looking up keywords 6abc & #WawaWelcomeAmerica on Twitter.

Such Babies that I live right in the middle of.

So apparently WCAU's Wawa Welcome America Festival coverage has ticked off a lot of people. Some want it back on 6abc, some can't find out the channel it's on because of their ignorance, among other complaints, courtesy of looking up keywords 6abc & #WawaWelcomeAmerica on Twitter.

Such Babies that I live right in the middle of.

From what I've heard some Philadelphians don't like change. But for those out of area - what is the WaWa Welcome America Festival and was the WCAU broadcast that bad?

I wonder how much more Comcast, WCAU and WWSI bid for the contract to broadcast or of the organizers wanted to expand the reach of the special with a simulcast on Telemundo 62.

From what I've heard some Philadelphians don't like change. But for those out of area - what is the WaWa Welcome America Festival and was the WCAU broadcast that bad?

Wawa Welcome America encompasses most of the city's 4th of july celebrations including a parade at independence hall and an evening concert on the parkway. The Jim Kenney Administration has brought some changes to the event this year. The audio at the parade was bad mostly due to feedback that was cuased by the anchors voices being played on the loudspeaker on Independence Mall. It was clear that nbc10 focused there efforts on the evening concert which was done very well. A producer told me on twitter they were using 14 cameras. They only seemed to use 4 cameras at the parade though (guessed the numbe). The true issue at the evening concert was not the fualt of NBC10 though, the level of talent amoung the peformaces was lower the last year in large part due to the absense of the Roots. A major change this year is that the concert dies not end with fireworks like in past years, instead the main concert ends at 8 which is when NBC broadcast the New York Festivities. The local coverage is set to resume with fireworks at 10pm.

I wonder how much more Comcast, WCAU and WWSI bid for the contract to broadcast or of the organizers wanted to expand the reach of the special with a simulcast on Telemundo 62.

The Wawa Welcome America Festival is a concert held on the Ben Franklin Parkway every year. There are more events the week before like Wawa Hoagie Day on Independence Hall where everyone gets free hoagies for showing up. The WCAU broadcast wasn't bad, I think it just got boring and the lineup of musicians this year wasn't as familiar (although towards the end there were some great well-known groups). People were also mad because the roots didn't make their yearly performance on the show. If I were WCAU, I'd take it with a grain of salt due to the city's infamous bias and favoritism towards WPVI. 6abc didn't want it just like they didn't want the lottery rights because they probably think it isn't worth it, and in the end, 6abc is still winning.

• Like 3

They also cut off during the O'Jays portion of the concert to switch to the NBC Macy's fireworks show at 8PM. In previous years, the concert would end around 10PM, with Philadelphia's fireworks right after.

By the way, Hurricane Schwartz got some new wheels--Storm Ranger.

[MEDIA=twitter]749970217661497344[/MEDIA]

• Like 3

The Wawa Welcome America Festival is a concert held on the Ben Franklin Parkway every year. There are more events the week before like Wawa Hoagie Day on Independence Hall where everyone gets free hoagies for showing up. The WCAU broadcast wasn't bad, I think it just got boring and the lineup of musicians this year wasn't as familiar (although towards the end there were some great well-known groups). People were also mad because the roots didn't make their yearly performance on the show. If I were WCAU, I'd take it with a grain of salt due to the city's infamous bias and favoritism towards WPVI. 6abc didn't want it just like they didn't want the lottery rights because they probably think it isn't worth it, and in the end, 6abc is still winning.

Side note to that, new mayor Jim Kenney pissed off The Roots when they were putting the concert together, that's why they weren't a part of the show this year. Also in years past they were instrumental in getting big names to do the concert.

As to people not knowing what channel to find the concert, that is just pathetic. Sometimes I think people in this town think WPVI is the only station in the market and it's an indictment of the intellect of their viewership.

• Like 3

They also cut off during the O'Jays portion of the concert to switch to the NBC Macy's fireworks show at 8PM. In previous years, the concert would end around 10PM, with Philadelphia's fireworks right after.

By the way, Hurricane Schwartz got some new wheels--Storm Ranger.

[MEDIA=twitter]749970217661497344[/MEDIA]

Jesus. What is that like NBC 10's version of the Bloom Mobile?

Edit: it's the only dual polarity X band Doppler radar on wheels. I think it's a bit of overkill - is the weather in Philadelphia that bad to warrant this? Or will they end up parking it somewhere and use it as their own radar?

I wonder if the data will be displayed /rendered on site or if they will send back a compressed data feed like a typical radar site would?

• Like 2

Jesus. What is that like NBC 10's version of the Bloom Mobile?

Edit: it's the only dual polarity X band Doppler radar on wheels. I think it's a bit of overkill - is the weather in Philadelphia that bad to warrant this? Or will they end up parking it somewhere and use it as their own radar?

I wonder if the data will be displayed /rendered on site or if they will send back a compressed data feed like a typical radar site would?

We get a little of everything in every season so having a live radar site, a mobile one at that is pretty handy.

As far as the how they plan on presenting the data, if there is a big storm they need to track, I would think they wouldn't worry about processing the data for smoothing.

Why do they need another weather vehicle? First it was Stormforce10 then it was the Jeep Stormforce 10 and now it is this.

This one has an actual radar sweep one board. Stormforce 10 is essential a mobile weather conditions reporting station. The Jeep is actually called Newsforce 10 and that's just a mobile newsroom where a reporter can rove around and report from the passenger seat while their photog drives around showing the scene.

We get a little of everything in every season so having a live radar site, a mobile one at that is pretty handy.

As far as the how they plan on presenting the data, if there is a big storm they need to track, I would think they wouldn't worry about processing the data for smoothing.

This one has an actual radar sweep one board. Stormforce 10 is essential a mobile weather conditions reporting station. The Jeep is actually called Newsforce 10 and that's just a mobile newsroom where a reporter can rove around and report from the passenger seat while their photog drives around showing the scene.

This vehicle was likely at least $1,000,000 - I wonder why they went this route when other stations got the marine based systems.

• Like 5

This vehicle was likely at least $1,000,000 - I wonder why they went this route when other stations got the marine based systems.

Probably more of a hassle to deploy a marine vessel than it is to just run a truck somewhere. Also they have more money to spend than they know what to do with so it's not as if buying that hurt them very much if at all.

I think it's a bit of overkill - is the weather in Philadelphia that bad to warrant this?

There are a few microclimates in the region. From the mountains to the shore it can be drastically different. So far this year, the status quo is to call for partly sunny skies with a chance of showers. I can't recall the last time anybody has called for either sunny skies or a rainy day. Any time a storm has been over hyped, all the sources have been wrong. Any storm that had been down played comes with at least twice as much snow, twice as much rain and straight line winds. They need to get back back to playing with magnets and smiley clouds because in this region, any new fancy tax write off is just lip stick on a pig.

• Like 2

Probably more of a hassle to deploy a marine vessel than it is to just run a truck somewhere. Also they have more money to spend than they know what to do with so it's not as if buying that hurt them very much if at all.

What the other NBC stations did was they just took a radar system for boat and put it on a truck.

If I had to guess its based on this system:

http://www.eecweathertech.com/ranger-x-band-radar-systems.php

If you look at their PDF's they say that it's been deployed on trucks and trailers before hand. There are a few pictures showing the trailer mounted version.

The University of Oklahoma also has three mobile radar units - two on trucks and one trailer mounted.

Still this is pretty impressive feat for a single O&O or as NateinFLA stated a cluster of stations to have.

• Like 5

Did NBC10 show the parade also? I think Philadelphia parades and Rick Williams & Cecily Tynan go hand in hand. In the past I have watched several of the 4th of July events - but to be honest, this year I turned it on and since I don't normally watch NBC10, didn't know who the two hosts were (I know they are the anchors), so I cared a lot less, then tuned out.

Perhaps channel 6 realized they don't need these types of events -- or the lottery -- to stay at the top.

• Like 4

Did NBC10 show the parade also? I think Philadelphia parades and Rick Williams & Cecily Tynan go hand in hand. In the past I have watched several of the 4th of July events - but to be honest, this year I turned it on and since I don't normally watch NBC10, didn't know who the two hosts were (I know they are the anchors), so I cared a lot less, then tuned out.

Perhaps channel 6 realized they don't need these types of events -- or the lottery -- to stay at the top.

They did show the parade.

Can I give an opinion on the concert coverage?

I'm sure NBC10 gave it their all, what with their first year of doing coverage, but the production was disappointing to say the least.

The lineup was very lacking. Even without The Roots, all they could find were acts that have barely survived all these years (The O'Jays and The Intuders), that guy from Empire [a show only the urban demo watches regularly] (Yazz). some acts not many have heard of (Leon Bridges and Brotherly Love) and a tribute to Gamble and Huff. I'm sure that would be a great lineup for a special on BET and TV One, or for a concert by WDAS-FM. But for an event like this, this wasn't impressive.

And there's also a some type of racial feel going on with this lineup, but I'd rather not go deep into that.

Plus, the stage being smashed into the park was a bad move. Usually, it's held right in front of the Art Museum steps, but apparently not anymore. And the stage itself looks terrible, compared to the one used during WPVI's years of coverage.

Now, lemme make this clear: It's not the station's fault.

It's producers did everything they could to give us a show, so their intentions were without criticism.

I blame Comcast for this. They essentially took the WWAC television coverage from WPVI (and the City of Philadelphia as well) for the clear purpose of taking the latter station down in the ratings, but it failed. Also, they are a billion-dollar corporation, yet the production it put together was lackluster and bare-bones. With all the money they have, I'm sure they could've took out what looks like half a drop in the bucket to put into the coverage. Won't disrupt the building of the Innovation and Technology Center in any way.

I'm sure WPVI and the City had to split the bill for their choices in acts and the stage but they did better there.

And don't get me started on the fireworks. (I'll try anyway)

All coverage was from the ground; No aerial coverage. Whoever's idea to not have SkyForce 10 broadcast parts of the coverage definitely won't have a job for this anymore. Thanks to the rainy weather and the hard smoke, all we could see was the blasts from in front of the Museum instead of all around it. I blame that instead of the station, but no aerial shots was a stupid decision too.

I didnt see Tracy Davidson or Vai Sikahema at all, so I won't discuss how they did as hosts. I sure they did great, but I know they can't beat Cecily Tynan and Rick Williams by a long shot.

I would've expected some backlash to this, but but got a lot as seen in this article.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/real-time/Twitter-users-upset-over-television-coverage-of-Fourth-of-July-celebration.html

(Everyone featured here want it back on 6ABC, and I don't blame them)

I didn't watch much of the coverage because I was out and away from the TV at the time, but I'm glad I didn't. The Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular on CBS, PBS' A Capital Fourth (even with the recycled fireworks display) and even NBC's Macys 4th of July show were better watches. And speaking of the NBC show, 10 had to push back the Jam for Macys show, so I don't blame them for it, but it's sad when the network show had more attention from Comcast when most of their performances were taped.

All-in-all: WCAU did all they could; I'll give them credit for that. But this year's coverage production felt like a completely different show; like the 4th of July Jam began it's first years all over again. Not to mention terrible. I'm sure they'll do a better job next year (if there'll ever be a next year), but for this event, Comcast did a poor job and needs to do better than this. I'm just still shocked that I won't turn to 6abc on Independence Day anymore.

(Apologies for the long post)

Can I give an opinion on the concert coverage?

I'm sure NBC10 gave it their all, what with their first year of doing coverage, but the production was disappointing to say the least.

The lineup was very lacking. Even without The Roots, all they could find were acts that have barely survived all these years (The O'Jays and The Intuders), that guy from Empire [a show only the urban demo watches regularly] (Yazz). some acts not many have heard of (Leon Bridges and Brotherly Love) and a tribute to Gamble and Huff. I'm sure that would be a great lineup for a special on BET and TV One, or for a concert by WDAS-FM. But for an event like this, this wasn't impressive.

And there's also a some type of racial feel going on with this lineup, but I'd rather not go deep into that.

Plus, the stage being smashed into the park was a bad move. Usually, it's held right in front of the Art Museum steps, but apparently not anymore. And the stage itself looks terrible, compared to the one used during WPVI's years of coverage.

Now, lemme make this clear: It's not the station's fault.

It's producers did everything they could to give us a show, so their intentions were without criticism.

I blame Comcast for this. They essentially took the WWAC television coverage from WPVI (and the City of Philadelphia as well) for the clear purpose of taking the latter station down in the ratings, but it failed. Also, they are a billion-dollar corporation, yet the production it put together was lackluster and bare-bones. With all the money they have, I'm sure they could've took out what looks like half a drop in the bucket to put into the coverage. Won't disrupt the building of the Innovation and Technology Center in any way.

I'm sure WPVI and the City had to split the bill for their choices in acts and the stage but they did better there.

I guess when in doubt blame Comcast right? I'm not in any business to defend Comcast but you need to be corrected. Comcast's only hand in this was funding the festivities along with Wawa. The city and specifically the mayor shoulder the most blame in this. They are the ones that booked the acts (and pissed off The Roots). They're the ones that also decided shoot fireworks into a cloudy rain-filled sky even though they knew what the weather forecast was.

And don't get me started on the fireworks. (I'll try anyway)

All coverage was from the ground; No aerial coverage. Whoever's idea to not have SkyForce 10 broadcast parts of the coverage definitely won't have a job for this anymore. Thanks to the rainy weather and the hard smoke, all we could see was the blasts from in front of the Museum instead of all around it. I blame that instead of the station, but no aerial shots was a stupid decision too.

I hope you know light helicopters like the ones used for newsgathering and rain don't mix right?

I didnt see Tracy Davidson or Vai Sikahema at all, so I won't discuss how they did as hosts. I sure they did great, but I know they can't beat Cecily Tynan and Rick Williams by a long shot.

I would've expected some backlash to this, but but got a lot as seen in this article.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/real-time/Twitter-users-upset-over-television-coverage-of-Fourth-of-July-celebration.html

(Everyone featured here want it back on 6ABC, and I don't blame them)

Vai and Tracy were fine and looked like they were having fun. You can read my rant from earlier about what think about people's obsession with WPVI.

I didn't watch much of the coverage because I was out and away from the TV at the time, but I'm glad I didn't. The Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular on CBS, PBS' A Capital Fourth (even with the recycled fireworks display) and even NBC's Macys 4th of July show were better watches. And speaking of the NBC show, 10 had to push back the Jam for Macys show, so I don't blame them for it, but it's sad when the network show had more attention from Comcast when most of their performances were taped.

All-in-all: WCAU did all they could; I'll give them credit for that. But this year's coverage production felt like a completely different show; like the 4th of July Jam began it's first years all over again. Not to mention terrible. I'm sure they'll do a better job next year (if there'll ever be a next year), but for this event, Comcast did a poor job and needs to do better than this. I'm just still shocked that I won't turn to 6abc on Independence Day anymore.

(Apologies for the long post)

Well you should direct your anger to Jim Kenney and his team of organizers that bungled this up, not Comcast.