NBC 10 Thread

WCAUTVNBC10

But has anybody dethroned Action News in all newscasts in a certain time frame? NO. Action News has won the Philly news ratings for 40 years. That's not changing anytime soon. Besides, I love their station, Jim Gardner, MCTYW and their news van again!

That's until their viewership ages out, then everything you fanboy about will have to change or they'll get left in the dust. Their basic presentation hasn't really changed much in that time span. Yeah it's gotten a modern polish over time but yeah you have the same basic principles in place for the past 40 years but if you really watch closely, what really separates them from everyone else, is that unique time locked presentation paired with talent with familiar faces. Their newsgathering and story telling isn't much different than 10's. They pretty much just have precedence on their side.

But has anybody dethroned Action News in all newscasts in a certain time frame? NO. Action News has won the Philly news ratings for 40 years. That's not changing anytime soon. Besides, I love their station, Jim Gardner, MCTYW and their news van again!

Let's also not forget, back at 6 & 11 in the early-to mid 2000's, Action News was pretty close to getting beat when Larry Mendte was at CBS3 and NBC10. Also, if Jim Gardner asked for too much money, I know ABC-Disney would let him go in a heartbeat. He really means nothing to management.

Let's also not forget, back at 6 & 11 in the early-to mid 2000's, Action News was pretty close to getting beat when Larry Mendte was at CBS3 and NBC10. Also, if Jim Gardner asked for too much money, I know ABC-Disney would let him go in a heartbeat. He really means nothing to management.

That's a bit harsh. I know for a fact from people I've talked to that their GM loves Jim and will have him there as long as he wants to keep working. I can't speak for anyone above him at ABC but I'm sure you're assessment is accurate when it comes to them just given how little they want to have to do with their stations.

It's a pile of crap because they brought the replacement photographers in a week before the Papal Visit when the union made their strike vote in the first place. That would have given thfem plenty of time to screen and credential anyone that was going to be working the festivities. They're reaching at this point.

Also anyone who lives in this region knows this is par for the course the kind of tactics that their union boss John Dougherty pulls all the time. He's going to lead a bunch of his rank and file to pink slips if this keeps up

It wasn't a week. There's no way they got credentials in the span of time they needed to do so.

• The strike vote was taken on Wednesday September 23.
  • The IBEW techs walked on Thursday September 24 at 4:55 PM.
  • The Pope arrived on Saturday September 26.

This could have been a shady maneuver by WCAU, although I don't know how it can be proven after the fact. Say what you will about John Dougherty, but members from other Philadelphia stations actually noticed this and brought it up. I don't blame the union for bringing it up; it helps their case.

I wonder what the latest is with Renee. If she ends up being let go, this is how I'd like the anchor pairings to shake out:

4pm/6pm/11pm: Jim Rosenfield / Jaqueline London (A Team)

11am/5pm: Keith Jones / Tracy Davidson (B Team)

Mornings: Chris Cato / Rosemary Connors (C Team)

Weekend Evenings: Vai Sikahema / Denise Nakano

Weekend Mornings: a new team

I could conceivably see the A Team doing 5pm/11pm, B Team doing 4pm/6pm, and C Team doing Mornings/11am. I think Chris and Rosemary are better suited for mornings, hence why I'd like to see Vai and Denise on weekends. Having Tracy back in the evenings would be great because we'd have a familiar face on in the evenings (the other three are all hires within the past three years).

• Like 1

Quote from the article:

It's not clear whether the union won an amnesty provision it sought to protect workers from retaliation for actions taken during the strike.

So, they wanted to pull all of those stunts with no repercussions? I like unions, but this seems a little strange in my opinion. I also don't understand the inner-workings of union contracts, so this may be a normal provision.

I've been informed that they got their amnesty. Smart move on their part. It's not an unusual request in a striking circumstance, and very good that they got it. Otherwise, the company could make life quite difficult for the members that spoke out publicly.

I've been informed that they got their amnesty. Smart move on their part. It's not an unusual request in a striking circumstance, and very good that they got it. Otherwise, the company could make life quite difficult for the members that spoke out publicly.

Very smart move. Otherwise I'm sure many would be fired for interrupting live shots and photo bombing camera angles at the Today Show.

• Like 1

I wonder what the latest is with Renee. If she ends up being let go, this is how I'd like the anchor pairings to shake out:

4pm/6pm/11pm: Jim Rosenfield / Jaqueline London (A Team)

11am/5pm: Keith Jones / Tracy Davidson (B Team)

Mornings: Chris Cato / Rosemary Connors (C Team)

Weekend Evenings: Vai Sikahema / Denise Nakano

Weekend Mornings: a new team

I could conceivably see the A Team doing 5pm/11pm, B Team doing 4pm/6pm, and C Team doing Mornings/11am. I think Chris and Rosemary are better suited for mornings, hence why I'd like to see Vai and Denise on weekends. Having Tracy back in the evenings would be great because we'd have a familiar face on in the evenings (the other three are all hires within the past three years).

I wonder as well, what the case would be if Renee were to be let go. Both Tracy and Rosemary are good choices for mornings. Tracy would keep the stability and chemistry that is already in place. Although, Rosemary is a great reporter and deserving of a weekday anchor position. Maybe Rosemary can have a weekday anchor/reporter position similar to Keith Jones, where Jim and Rosemary are paired at 4, Keith and Jacqueline at 5, and Jim and Jacqueline at 6 and 11.

• 2 weeks later...

This seem like a dumb move in my opinion. I wouldn't leave a DMA 4 to go to a DMA 14???? (correct me if I'm wrong with Tampa's market number). I just thought he would stay longer than the average contract of 3 years.