NBC 10 Thread

WCAUTVNBC10

Guest Newshound

Yes, I have noticed Jim has been off a lot lately, from watching nbc10. It seems weird. The only reason I can think that he was off the last few days is because it was a Jewish holiday, I think, right?

Yes, I have noticed Jim has been off a lot lately, from watching nbc10. It seems weird. The only reason I can think that he was off the last few days is because it was a Jewish holiday, I think, right?

I would think that's why he's been off. Jim Gardner also took off for Yom Kippur.

Guest Newshound

What's wrong with their tech department today? Around 4 45 pm, they went to break, for like 10 minutes, came back with just a taped report from deanna durante, took another short break, then came back to nbc10 at 5 with Keith Jones and Denise Nakano. They first seemed a bit confused at who was supposed to go first, but now they seem to be on track. Did anyone see this as well? Could it have been a tech issue?

What's wrong with their tech department today? Around 4 45 pm, they went to break, for like 10 minutes, came back with just a taped report from deanna durante, took another short break, then came back to nbc10 at 5 with Keith Jones and Denise Nakano. They first seemed a bit confused at who was supposed to go first, but now they seem to be on track. Did anyone see this as well? Could it have been a tech issue?

I saw it. It looked like something in the studio shit the bed. If you noticed, it took them 15 mins before they actually had an in-studio shot. Possibly a video switcher went down or something of that nature.

Union technicians at WCAU initiated a strike late this afternoon. This group included photographers and control room personnel. What you saw was the result of the strike starting and members leaving their posts.

Will they be bringing in replacements from the other NBC O&O's?

Was watching on Periscope and things seemed hectic in the studio and they just ended the periscope stream due to "circumstances". That and a few people came in protesting. The guy that runs it said hopefully everything will be normal on Monday.

Guest Newshound

First, what happened to my papal coverage thread? I can't access it. Anyway, how are things going with the control room at wcau today? It's a mess, i saw online that wcau strikers are protesting outside the station. Bars-n-tone, any more info on that?

• Like 3

Guest Newshound

I was messing with you guys, sorry, don't. It was a sick joke. I'm just an outsider. Anyway, any more info from you, bars-n-tone? I saw online ric harris sent an email to the wcau staff saying the facts that were printed by the strikers on fliers that they handed out weren't accurate.

• Like 1

Guest Newshound

just Using the hashtag #familiesfirstatnbc10, I just saw a tweet that said the nbc10 striking workers will be back out on the picket lines today, Monday. Also, I can't believe nbc10 ran an add, saying how they had the most and best comprehensive coverage of the pope's visit. They also keep saying to count on nbc10. lol. I'd love to know what you guys think, especially hulkied, and bars-n-tone. Unlike me, bars-n-tone actually has good inside info, since he works for nbc. Bars-n-tone, I mean that as a complement. I would have thought wcau would have tried to resolve the strike over the weekend.

I don't have a link but NBC said in a business journal that there was some sticking points about the use/installation of OverDrive. But haven't they been running OverDrive for several years now? Seems like their job ads have been mentioning it for a while. Another sticking point was the use of one person running the control room during Today show cut ins. NBC made the point that this is practice at their other stations and at WPVI.

I'm pro union and I hope this is resolved quickly.

Guest Newshound

Rkolsen, totally agree with you on all the points you just made. The article in the philadelphia business journal had stuff in their about the strike, I had no clue what some of that technical stuff was about. Rkolsen, or anyonoe, can you explain to me about overdrive? What is it? and what about someone running the control room during the today show? Didn't get that part of the article.

• Like 1

Rkolsen, totally agree with you on all the points you just made. The article in the philadelphia business journal had stuff in their about the strike, I had no clue what some of that technical stuff was about. Rkolsen, or anyonoe, can you explain to me about overdrive? What is it? and what about someone running the control room during the today show? Didn't get that part of the article.

I couldn't find the article about Today Show cut ins.

However OverDrive is Ross's equivalent to Grass Valley's Ignite. These systems control all aspects of the show from playing out video files, inserting graphics, changing cameras/sources, moving the robotic cameras, controlling which mics are open and much more. While the show is being made in iNews the director will be building their rundown telling the system when to perform such actions. If the show is well built and coded the director just has to advance to the next sequence.

Here's the article rklosen was referring to:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2015/09/25/nbc10-ibew-local-98-union-comcast-contract-strike.html

Looks pretty straightforward to me that the station wants to implement some level of automation (esp during cut-ins and breaking news) and the union isn't having it.

Just my opinion, but do you really need a fully staffed control room just to run a 2-3 min cut-in? I know we're talking about people's jobs and all but it does seem pretty wasteful.

• Like 2

Guest Newshound

Thanks to the poster wcautvnbc10 for giving me the link to that article. First, let me say that I also saw on twitter that nbc10 striking workers were telling people passing by to switch over to 6abc news. lol. Also, what I can't figure out is when they talk about management, and comcast, are the workers mad at anzio williams, and ric harris, or are they mad at people above them? Anyone know the chain of command as far as that goes? It's anzio, the news director, ric harris is the president of wcau, but who is above them? just trying to understand the whole situation. #countonit -- I just had to put that there. lol.