NBC 10 Thread

WCAUTVNBC10

Whoa that's big news (and I wonder how long it'll take for Swoop to be axed from all but WPVI's Autumn opens lol). I hope ETN and CSN split the production duties of the preseason games. It would be cool to have the SNF look to them. ETN hasn't had the best of graphical looks for games over the years.

The Eagles could very well be on 3-4 (maybe 5 or 6 with flex scheduling) SNF games this year with how much attention they've drawn on themselves nationally and this market loooooves their football team so I'm sure 10 and CSN will have that covered.

As for WWSI, in theory they could (big could) a Spanish language TV simulcast for preseason games only. You can't do it for regular season as they're not a rights holder. The Eagles do have a Spanish radio network that is available through SAP.

Are the Eagles good enough for that many games?

Something tells me no...

Are the Eagles good enough for that many games?

Something tells me no...

They're an NFC East market. The NFC East is usually one of the more competitive divisions in the league, plus it's got the New York Giants, the Dallas Cowboys, and the Washington Football Team. Popularity-wise it's up there.

You have to figure one each of the Cowboys and Giants match ups will be Sunday nighters and there's talk that they want their game with the Patriots either to lead the season off or be one of the early match ups. That's three right there.

The NFC East is populated with 3 teams that (usually) can't get out of each others way to be 8-8 so they aren't so much competitive as they can't beat anybody but their own division and some terrible teams. It may have a lot of people and the ads from those markets make money for the network and stations which is why they get so many games but boy is it some mediocre football.

The North or the West is probably more interesting from a football perspective. Just my two cents on the various divisions in the league.

As for the switch from 6 to 10... It seems like NBC as a whole keeps beefing up it's sports presence every year. I'm surprised Disney lost the rights though.

The Eagles could very well be on 3-4 (maybe 5 or 6 with flex scheduling) SNF games this year with how much attention they've drawn on themselves nationally and this market loooooves their football team so I'm sure 10 and CSN will have that covered.

Actually, I believe the maximum times a team may appear on SNF in a season is four. Furthermore, the maximum times a team may appear on primetime (TNF, SNF, MNF, or Saturday night) is six. So I think 2-3 SNF appearances is more likely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess it's because I'm old and don't understand how ratings work these days, but what's the point of a 5AM Saturday newscast on Ch 10? Ch 3 does the same and Ch 6 starts at 5:30AM. Is there really that much of an audience that early on a weekend?

I guess it's because I'm old and don't understand how ratings work these days, but what's the point of a 5AM Saturday newscast on Ch 10? Ch 3 does the same and Ch 6 starts at 5:30AM. Is there really that much of an audience that early on a weekend?

Some people do work on Saturdays.

There must be some sort of an audience ... WFMZ started a Saturday AM newscast about 2 or 3 years ago, after never having one before. It airs from 7-9AM.

Some people do work on Saturdays.

There must be some sort of an audience ... WFMZ started a Saturday AM newscast about 2 or 3 years ago, after never having one before. It airs from 7-9AM.

I'm ok with a 7AM newscast. I just don't see the need for a weekend 5 to 7 or 8AM and again at 9AM. It's a lot of the same stories from the day/night before. I'm waiting for Fox29 to start early (earlier than 8) on the weekends soon, too. I think each station just wants to one-up the other.

Of course each station is trying to one up the others. Twenty years ago saw stations entering the morning and midday slots with weekend mornings following soon after. In the last ten years, as the network morning shows became the powerhouse revenue streams, the local stations became more competitive in the dawn hours. Stations that debuted with only 30-60 minutes in the late 80s have expanded backward to 4:30 and even 4am. Big three affiliates (especially on the east coast) are limited by the early morning network newscasts, and if expanding to more than 3 hours, have to start hiring more on-air talent. With weekdays hitting their limit, the attention is now on weekends. I'll just speak for Chicago, where 4 of the 5 affiliates air weekend morning news, with one only on for an hour each day, another for 3, and the other two for 4 or more. The latter three that I mentioned all start at 5am. Sure, they can put on infomercials and stuff, but airing news at that hour might even be cheaper, and more profitable.

I'm ok with a 7AM newscast. I just don't see the need for a weekend 5 to 7 or 8AM and again at 9AM. It's a lot of the same stories from the day/night before. I'm waiting for Fox29 to start early (earlier than 8) on the weekends soon, too. I think each station just wants to one-up the other.

Whenever I wake up on a Saturday morning and I want to watch local news, I can't because it ends at 7am and I am not awake for that. On Sundays, for example, Action News is on from 6-8AM and also throughout the morning so I can watch.

Whenever I wake up on a Saturday morning and I want to watch local news, I can't because it ends at 7am and I am not awake for that. On Sundays, for example, Action News is on from 6-8AM and also throughout the morning so I can watch.

But Action News is on from 5:30-8:00 and 9:00-10:00 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays from 6:00-8:00 and 9:00-10:30 a.m. + 12:00-1:00 p.m.

Eyewitness News is 5:00-7:00 a.m. Saturdays and 6:00-9:00 a.m. Sundays.

NBC 10 News is 5:00-7:00 and 9:00-10:00 a.m. Saturdays and 5:30-8:00 and 9:00-10:30 a.m. Sundays.

FOX 29 Weekend is 8:00-10:00 a.m. Saturdays and 8:00-9:00 a.m. Sundays.

69 News Sunrise is Saturdays from 7:00-9:00 a.m.

So I don't get it as to what you mean by "can't watch local news because it ends at 7:00 a.m."? In Philly, there are plenty of options after 7:00 a.m. on both Saturdays and Sundays.

• 3 weeks later...

With Congressman Chaka Fattah being indicted today, and his wife, NBC 10 anchor Renee Chenault-Fattah also reportedly named in some connection to the cases, does this mean this could spell the end of her anchoring career? It would be such a shame if so. According to the on air announcement, she is currently on leave from the station.

Philly.com article link:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20150730_Rennee_Chenault-Fattah_s_alleged_role_in_fraudulent_car_sale.html

She isn't charged, but the indictment makes it clear she sold a car to a lobbyist then mainted possession of the car

I think this won't end well for her. Before reading the details I thought maybe she could come away unscathed but once I saw how big and complex this indictment I realized that there was no way she could plead ignorance. For me the "sale" of her Porsche sealed the deal in her involvement.

Don't prosecutors sometimes charge both spouses (despite spousal privilege) in hopes of getting one of them to turn the other one in?

Naturally the story made Nightly News and they disclosed that his wife was an anchor at WCAU. It seemed like they left the picture of Renee on screen longer than her husband.

I imagine this will be an uncomfortable situation for Renee and her colleagues when she returns. I imagine she's used to her coworkers covering and examining her husbands job during day to day duties but it's a whole new ball park when theirs criminal wrongdoings and you are mentioned in the indictment. Hopefully she will realize that this is her coworkers job and there won't be any hard feelings when this is all over with.

Chenault-Fattah is telling her side of the story, a lot sooner than I would of expected...

Knowing this and not having an extra $18,000, I decided to sell my second car – a Porsche. A family friend agreed to buy it last minute and we sold the car for its blue book value…a bill of sale and transfer of title were conveyed to the friend.

In the letter, Chenault-Fattah goes on to explain why the car remains at the Fattahs’ Philadelphia home. “…the car stayed at our house (we have 3 garages and the friend lives in a apartment) , for a time I continued with insuring it since it was in our garage and wanted nothing to happen to it, and I had it towed to be serviced in the spring because I wanted it to be in good shape for the friend since this transaction had happened so hastily in the dead of winter. It has remained undriven in our garage for 3 years now because on advice of counsel…. we were instructed to do nothing with the car.”

She added, “I know this was a legitimate sale but this not likely to go away anytime soon.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wcau-anchor-explains-role-in-husbands-indictment/152807

• 2 weeks later...

WCAU cancelled a mayoral debate after failing to agree with the democratic mayors six page memorandum of understanding which included things about the size of dressing rooms, water bottles and camera angles. I can understand some things set up for equality but dictating camera angles is ridiculous. I wonder what other demands were on the list.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/NBC10_cancels_mayoral_debate_over_demands_by_Kenney_campaign.html#disqus_thread