NBC 10 Thread

WCAUTVNBC10

Four sets. Let me explain.

There are two "halves" of the newsroom. The one you saw up until they went HD was the on-air half; the other half, containing the edit suites, was rarely seen on camera. The introduction to the first 4pm newscast uses the newsroom extensively. Larry is walking through the not-camera half.

[yt]yg5ZruTPajo[/yt]

What you don't see is that the newsroom opens out to the rest of that floor, to what is now the streetside studio. Believe it or not, that area has always been set up for on-camera work. It was part of the NewsCenter when that was established, and the EarthWatch weather center was around the spot where they've shoved the desk in now.

More importantly... this was the location of one of their older sets.

, but the second set shown clearly showed a large window to the outside in some camera angles.

There are two "halves" of the newsroom. The one you saw up until they went HD was the on-air half; the other half, containing the edit suites, was rarely seen on camera. The introduction to the first 4pm newscast uses the newsroom extensively. Larry is walking through the not-camera half.

[yt]yg5ZruTPajo[/yt]

What you don't see is that the newsroom opens out to the rest of that floor, to what is now the streetside studio. Believe it or not, that area has always been set up for on-camera work. It was part of the NewsCenter when that was established, and the EarthWatch weather center was around the spot where they've shoved the desk in now.

, but the second set shown clearly showed a large window to the outside in some camera angles.

Anyone else miss that old school theme music? Whenever I think about NBC10 that's the theme that plays in my head. (When did they stop calling it "News 10" ?)

Bill Henley just gave me a tour last Friday of their studio. It's big but tiny since they have a lot of stuff in there. There are 4 robotic cameras, the anchor desk, 2 green screens (one gigantic one and a small one), and the big weather center. There is a lot of space between the anchor desk and the glass wall. They could move the desk back about 2 feet.

Speaking of Bill Henley, I think he has got to be one of the best meteorologists in town. He never hypes to scare and is always very clear. I've enjoyed watching him since they launched a morning program

Going off topic here...

I remember before 10 went to their HD set in 2008, the biggest upgrades before that point was the overhauling of the Earthwatch weather center. They had the big Earthwatch desk. I guess the most telling clip I can find is from an

. The enormity of the weather center was gone though once they went HD. Is it safe to say that the said weather set has been around for about 7-8 years?

I just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone remembers and if they do, maybe they can shed some light into other intricacies that weather center had.

Going off topic here...

I remember before 10 went to their HD set in 2008, the biggest upgrades before that point was the overhauling of the Earthwatch weather center. They had the big Earthwatch desk. I guess the most telling clip I can find is from an

. The enormity of the weather center was gone though once they went HD. Is it safe to say that the said weather set has been around for about 7-8 years?

I just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone remembers and if they do, maybe they can shed some light into other intricacies that weather center had.

Looked huge, seemed like prior to HD conversion weather set designs were often larger than "home base". WBAL had a big one with a second level elevated 2-3 feet above the prior set. Of course the Mac daddy (can't believe I'm using that phrase) had to go to KAKE TV's and it's various translators, satellite stations, and boosters that had a weather set that had the capabilities to "opt out" different weather forecasts/special weather reports for six different zones of Kansas.

Going off topic here...

Going off topic here...

Yeah the weather set from before then and what is now has similarities. I'm wondering if it did get cut in some ways and rearranged other parts of it. Their current weather set is kinda neat, it still has some depth with an array of three desks in the shot.

I got to see the circa-2004 set during a visit to NBC 10.

This video I'm using for reference:

Home base and the weather center were directly opposite each other. Significant space was carved out for the weather center - it really is quite deep. Elements were removed in the HD conversion but the basic look remained. To the right of the main desk was the "NetCenter" standup area, and a greenscreen. To the right of the Weather Center was a discussion area used for Sports Final.

From what I've been able to gather from the newscasts, home base is now roughly where the old NetCenter/greenscreen area were, and weather's now in a cove to the right.

I watched NBC10 News at 6pm tonight and found it kind of annoying that you could hear the studio construction going on in the background during Hurricane Schwartz weather report. There was low banter and things banging in the background. I'm surprised somebody didn't tell them to stop working during the newscasts or when weather/traffic comes on

I watched NBC10 News at 6pm tonight and found it kind of annoying that you could hear the studio construction going on in the background during Hurricane Schwartz weather report. There was low banter and things banging in the background. I'm surprised somebody didn't tell them to stop working during the newscasts or when weather/traffic comes on

Unfortunately that's a prices that they pay - whether you want your set done on time (and on budget) or have intermittent noise during a small part of your newscast.

• 2 weeks later...

Doubt it. Their recent track record has been to debut new things at 11AM or 4PM and they've usually have been on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. I think this set change is more extensive than we all originally thought. It's been about a month now since they've been on the temp set now and if it were just a refresh I think it would have been done by now.

Doubt it. Their recent track record has been to debut new things at 11AM or 4PM and they've usually have been on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. I think this set change is more extensive than we all originally thought. It's been about a month now since they've been on the temp set now and if it were just a refresh I think it would have been done by now.

It's been 18 days. Just for reference WCVB's refresh this year took 10 days to install 27 monitors behind the desk plus several mo around the studio, Maybe they are getting new backdrop, desk and maybe the floors are being refinished for all we know - if they are good floors they should last five years and they debuted this set in 2008. Perhaps in order to handle all of the new features additional hardware has to be installed and tested.

Again, sorry for going off-topic from the anticipation of what appears to be... not just a refresh set.

I was just browsing through TVNewsCheck and saw that 10 added two new reporters. One is for the Lehigh Valley Bureau (makes sense since Delaware, South Jersey, Jersey Shore, and Mercer County bureaus have a designated reporter) and the other is for the NBC 10 Investigators working with Hairston (I wondered if they were going to be adding a reporter in 10's investigative unit since they switch Lu Ann.

Now back to the set talk... Are they fixing or changing the weather center? Because I see Sheena in there when it comes to the teases. Just wondering if it's part of the renovations or is there no need with the "virtual" First Alert set platform?

Again, sorry for going off-topic from the anticipation of what appears to be... not just a refresh set.

I was just browsing through TVNewsCheck and saw that 10 added two new reporters. One is for the Lehigh Valley Bureau (makes sense since Delaware, South Jersey, Jersey Shore, and Mercer County bureaus have a designated reporter) and the other is for the NBC 10 Investigators working with Hairston (I wondered if they were going to be adding a reporter in 10's investigative unit since they switch Lu Ann.

Now back to the set talk... Are they fixing or changing the weather center? Because I see Sheena in there when it comes to the teases. Just wondering if it's part of the renovations or is there no need with the "virtual" First Alert set platform?

NBC 10 is getting a great investigative reporter in Mitch Blacher. Sad to see him leave San Diego/KGTV, he was by far one of the best. He was at the forefront of exposing former San Diego Mayor Bob Filner's harrasment scandal and the problems affecting the San Diego Police Department. Good addition for NBC 10.

[yt]yg5ZruTPajo[/yt]

I miss that theme and that open. 17 years old and that still is one of the best TV news themes ... ever. And that open, iconic.

-- Matt

Good find on the new hires. They haven't had a true reporter for The Valley since Stacey Stauffer left the station. Good to see that filled. They have been using George Spencer for investigative pieces a lot lately so I guess him Harry and Mitch will make up the investigative unit.

It was mentioned earlier that the weather center is staying put. That's not a bad thing either. It's really held up well for being 10 years old.

• 2 weeks later...

NBC 10 kicked ass yesterday. And you know what? I could write a post... or I could just go ahead and show you.

I've chosen the latter.

I'm uploading yesterday's entire 2 and a half hour news block in chunks. I want people to see WCAU, in its entirety, with the proper context, like I've done a few times with WABC.

EDIT: This was a bad idea. Link removed.

You can live stream NBC 10 News here. Broadcast times on weekdays are 4am ET, 11am ET, 4pm ET, and 11pm ET.

Because I know I'm coming across, at least on some level, as something of a fanboi - the type you'd find on the GameFAQs System Wars threads that'd go "MICROSOFT SUX PS4 RULZ" or something like that.

That's not my intention at all. I think 10 is great because I think they are putting together a legitimately high quality, even old-school newscast. There's no HealthChecks or ConsumerWatches. Local stories get covered at some unique angles. And they do one thing differently than everybody else - they give the power to the reporter.

It's not Rosenfield or London or Chenault-Fattah, really. It's the Lu Ann Cahns, the Christine Maddelas, the Harry Hairstons, the Cydney Longs.... the huge army of reporters that 10 added after Anzio Williams came along.