Holy Graphics Knockoff Batman!!

ABC 7 Denver

How has WISC's knockoff of the Scripps package not come up?

WISC has a very good in-house graphics department. Yeah, there might be some Renderon looking elements to the graphics, But this is more of a continuation of previous looks going back to more than 15 years.

WISC has a very good in-house graphics department. Yeah, there might be some Renderon looking elements to the graphics, But this is more of a continuation of previous looks going back to more than 15 years.

Certain parts, yes. The dynamic lower thirds and the designs of the fullscreens, but the backgrounds and animations are definitely "inspired" by the Scripps graphics

The first scene of the weather open is a dead giveaway.

Certain parts, yes. The dynamic lower thirds and the designs of the fullscreens, but the backgrounds and animations are definitely "inspired" by the Scripps graphics

I want to say that the way they handled the weather remote was interesting. I kind of like it.

One thing I rarely ponder about is the need for the meteorologist to stand in front of the graphics. It would be one thing if they could stand in one place but they have to move around as they cover part of the maps.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The Cox Jacksonville stuff looks like a Renderon Scripps/Hothaus KTRK knockoff.

Cox doesn’t have an “agreement” with Hothaus but most of their Creative Directors are familiar with the company and use them for their graphics packages.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with Wichita is that the eras are scattered - KAKE has plenty from the 80s while KWCH has plenty from the 90s. As for KSNW, it’s the same as KAKE, yet the annoying part is that their 1986 newscast has no music on the open.

KUTV of course has nothing at all, typical Salt Lake City. Peters, I think, wasn’t responsible for their mid 80s theme, but KUTV’s 1979 theme sounds a bit more like their work.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Bumping a month-old post, but KRBC is probably not a knock-off. A now-defunct company did the look for WVIT and WVTM at the same time, and they also did a few other NBC affiliates. Here's WVTM from 1999

Hate to bump this thread, but what was that graphics company in question? And what was their website?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hate to bump this thread, but what was that graphics company in question? And what was their website?

It was Electronic Graphics and Design of Dallas (which I know did WVIT). Not much exists of them these days even in print materials.

And this video has a couple examples; WEAR being ripped off by WTVY (both in this video) and WJHG thinking it's in Baltimore...

[MEDIA=vimeo]244566783[/MEDIA]

• Like 4

It was Electronic Graphics and Design of Dallas (which I know did WVIT). Not much exists of them these days even in print materials.

And this video has a couple examples; WEAR being ripped off by WTVY (both in this video) and WJHG thinking it's in Baltimore...

[MEDIA=vimeo]244566783[/MEDIA]

Raymie,

I would love to have some of the old WTVY footage you shared. WTVY has lost a lot of the historical files for some reason.John Williams passed away in 2011 and I know his family would love to see more. Thanks again for sharing.

• Like 2

[QUOTE="Herb Tarlek, post: 202322, member: 2366"]Raymie, I would love to have some of the old WTVY footage you shared. WTVY has lost a lot of the historical files for some reason.John Williams passed away in 2011 and I know his family would love to see more. Thanks again for sharing.[/QUOTE] You would be better served contacting @compubit who uploaded the original clip. He may not have much.
  • Like 1