Holy Graphics Knockoff Batman!!

ABC 7 Denver

17 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

West Mass ABC ripping off of WABCs look

At least they kept Enforcer Advantage 

That's not a knock off. It's been syndicated (see below). If there is any confusion about what a knock off is, it's a secondary graphics package that looks like another design originated at another station. Likely the package is executed horribly if it's meant to mirror the design completely (see WNEM) or has clear elements similar to an original package, where there is no mistaken identity for inspiration (See WSMV).

• Concerned 2

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

That's not a knock off. It's been syndicated (see below). If there is any confusion about what a knock off is, it's a secondary graphics package that looks like another design originated at another station. Likely the package is executed horribly if it's meant to mirror the design completely (see WNEM) or has clear elements similar to an original package, where there is no mistaken identity for inspiration (See WSMV).

From what I could tell on the West Mass News Open vs the WABC open, the color scheme looks very the same as WABC but obviously the way WABC did the open is totally different compared to what Western Mass News did. A good example of that would the way the animations of the graphics is done at WGGB vs the way WABC does theirs.

My conclusion is that yes it's syndicated but because of the way the color scheme looks the boxes are used for one third of the screen in the beginning the news open, you could say it's a ripoff but I'd say its 50/50

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 11:31 AM, kfc513 said:

Does stolen logos count as knockoffs?

I'm asking this because KXPI-LD in Pocatello, Idaho stole the logos of FOUR other Fox stations! (KSWB, WNYW, WTTG and WAGA)

KXPI_Fox_5_logo.thumb.png.a145908ff716c19f4f7c57db557d19e0.png        KXPI_Vertical_Logo.thumb.png.3c32338ef7a1540a0f02006cf0d26887.png

Well, I guess that is market #161 for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was WESH that cheap in 1986 to where they weren't able to get the "Come Home" package from their own network and instead made their own "Come Home" graphics in-house? I thought those things were free for them. I would expect this in a small market affiliate, not in a mid-sized one like Orlando was at the time.

Edited by ChocoMingo
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 9:31 AM, kfc513 said:

Does stolen logos count as knockoffs?

I'm asking this because KXPI-LD in Pocatello, Idaho stole the logos of FOUR other Fox stations! (KSWB, WNYW, WTTG and WAGA)

KXPI_Fox_5_logo.thumb.png.a145908ff716c19f4f7c57db557d19e0.png        KXPI_Vertical_Logo.thumb.png.3c32338ef7a1540a0f02006cf0d26887.png

No. This isn't a knockoff. It's a standard. This is like saying WNEM's graphics are a CBS O&O knockoff because it's the same package. Fox stations around the county use this logo we call it the 'Fox Box'. If you're going to blame KXPI for using it, then blame the dozens of other Fox affiliates who've used it as well. I will point out that the biggest inconsistency here is '5' font.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Concerned 1

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

No. This isn't a knockoff. It's a standard. This is like saying WNEM's graphics are a CBS O&O knockoff because it's the same package. Fox stations around the county use this logo we call it the 'Fox Box'. If you're going to blame KXPI for using it, then blame the dozens of other Fox affiliates who've used it as well. I will point out that the biggest inconsistency here is '5' font.

WNEM did have a knockoff for a hot moment, lasted about 2 months:

https://youtu.be/Auqc0g4QcM0

On 3/30/2020 at 11:46 AM, Jared DiCarlo said:

FB44B5C4-DDEE-4081-9641-6292FEEC90D9.jpeg.21436a7fa2f77e56b3bfac83bebadf0d.jpeg

Here’s WTWO in Terre Haute with a logo that looks suspiciously similar to the one that WMAR in Baltimore was using at the time. 

Speaking of which, the logo that they’re using now is a rip-off of WGRZ!

F196198C-154E-4DF8-A553-67E5BB192334.png.341d4dbcd6c7ff8dd09cae33d79b2f7f.png

I wouldn’t call these rip-offs. They’re numbers in a specific font - that’s the same as saying WJLA’s circle 7 logo is a rip-off of WABC, KABC, KGO, WLS’s logo, since WJLA isn’t an ABC owned and operated station...

A rip-off isn’t using the same package as another unrelated station. A rip-off is trying to create a similar looking package (usually on the cheap),  but not pulling it off well.

For example, this KALB newscast open (not sure if it was used on air or not):

https://youtu.be/dLlFpX68s68

at duplicating the WNBC’s 2010 open: 

https://youtu.be/5Mk0FFM8nrE

IMHO is a distinct ripoff...

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Concerned 1

13 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

We have another winner. KASA TV wanted to be Hearst station once upon a time

12 hours ago, Samantha said:

Heck no. The music, yes, but that is as mid-2000s Raycom Design as it gets.

Yes because y'all are forgetting that Raycom (now Gray) owned KASA from 1999-2007.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1