Holy Graphics Knockoff Batman!!

ABC 7 Denver

On 2/10/2019 at 9:18 PM, Georgie56 said:

...and WBBM’s 2007 talent opens at the time were based off CBS’ 2005 branding.

The elements seen on KIDK all come from the "CBS Eyecon" reel which used to be released to stations annually. They consisted of network graphics and b-roll elements that any affiliate could (and still can) use.

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, WFTV Channel 9 said:

A very poor knockoff of WTTV/WTVR's Tribune graphics.

37 minutes ago, Darius22 said:

This looks like it was done for a Gray station and even Gray has better looking stations than this.

This is sadly owned by KHQ, so I would more blame KHQ than this station. They are just using whats available to them

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 5:29 PM, Yankees4life said:

WAFF ripped off some of the old Heart graphics

How? They used Bank Gothic for a font? I'd hardly call that a knockoff. Looks like this was a TVbD job, WITN in Greenville, NC had a similar open around this time.

• 2 months later...

The early 1980s CBS Evening News graphics were mocked by Canadian comedy series SCTV which aired on NBC in the United States. This was seen in the episode where SCTV were in a "network war" with CBS, ABC and NBC. And the episode featured its own take on "The Godfather." So, you can watch SCTV's version of the CBS open at 22:20 and the open uses a synth theme.

Here is the original CBS Evening News open from 1981 which features a close.

Edited by KnoxvilleTVFan
I added the open and close to a CBS Evening News from 1981.
  • Like 3

On 5/19/2019 at 8:04 PM, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

The early 1980s CBS Evening News graphics were mocked by Canadian comedy series SCTV which aired on NBC in the United States. This was seen in the episode where SCTV were in a "network war" with CBS, ABC and NBC. And the episode featured its own take on "The Godfather." So, you can watch SCTV's version of the CBS open at 22:20 and the open uses a synth theme.

Here is the original CBS Evening News open from 1981 which features a close.

Wow I have been looking for that SCTV episode for years. Great find! They did a fantastic job recreating and parodying the network shows. I remember watching this episode as a kid when TVLand ran SCTV reruns late at night.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:23 AM, KentBrockman said:

How? They used Bank Gothic for a font? I'd hardly call that a knockoff. Looks like this was a TVbD job, WITN in Greenville, NC had a similar open around this time.

That was John Christopher Burns. The WITN open is a knockoff, though.

On 5/26/2019 at 2:19 PM, Yankees4life said:

WTLV 1980-1986 logo was a ripoff of the Lazer 2 logo of KTVU.

How? Other than the 12 being inside the circle (negative space), I see little resemblance.

if you follow that logic, then KTVU’s logo is a ripoff of any logo inside a circle prior to 1975....

J

064D2DD3-0BBD-488D-9F2E-C3A5DA2B8578.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:04 PM, Jared DiCarlo said:

Damn Aussies are always copying us

I'd imagine that most if not all usage of station campaigns and news themes from US networks on Australian TV would've been licenced and above board though, since the graphical elements in Nine's original "Still The One" promo are basically the same as ABC's but with a different logo. Similar deal with Seven's versions of the NBC Idents & Launch Campaigns during the 1980s, etc.

20 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

They still use Tar Sequence.

In my personal opinion, the Cool Hand Luke-derived news theme currently used on Nine News here in Australia doesn't really work with their rather flashy graphics or sets. I also have my doubts that Americans would really enjoy listening to the versions of The Mission which Seven News introduced only a few years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope I'm posting this to the correct thread. I just realized WWL (New Orleans) and WFTV (Orlando) used similar elements for their opens in the late 1990s.

Here are the two opens back to back. You'll notice the scrolling "news leader" ticker and the background of the end screen (blue with muted very small "Eyewitness News" text) are very similar/identcal. Wondering if anyone here has some insight into where these elements might come from. Part of a syndicated package maybe? Those are the only graphic similarities during that era. Lower 3rds and OTS graphics are different. 

I worked at WWL during this era and know that station did a ton of GFX work in-house back then, so maybe these were just elements they picked up elsewhere to add to the look? A ripoff? Eh, probably not.  What do y'all think/know?

Edited by newsguy22
Attaching correct video link

3 hours ago, newsguy22 said:

I hope I'm posting this to the correct thread. I just realized WWL (New Orleans) and WFTV (Orlando) used similar elements for their opens in the late 1990s.

Here are the two opens back to back. You'll notice the scrolling "news leader" ticker and the background of the end screen (blue with muted very small "Eyewitness News" text) are very similar/identcal. Wondering if anyone here has some insight into where these elements might come from. Part of a syndicated package maybe? Those are the only graphic similarities during that era. Lower 3rds and OTS graphics are different. 

I worked at WWL during this era and know that station did a ton of GFX work in-house back then, so maybe these were just elements they picked up elsewhere to add to the look? A ripoff? Eh, probably not.  What do y'all think/know?

I just noticed this account is Blaine Stewart from WTKR! You worked at one of the most legendary stations with a roster of legendary talent.

I'd say it was a popular graphics package back then. I know WDAY Fargo/WDAZ Grand Forks had something like this too.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I just noticed this account is Blaine Stewart from WTKR! You worked at one of the most legendary stations with a roster of legendary talent.

I'd say it was a popular graphics package back then. I know WDAY Fargo/WDAZ Grand Forks had something like this too.

Very interesting... I wonder if anyone knows who designed those elements. 

And yes, WWL was a powerhouse then. So many legends there. It was an honor to work at the station I grew up watching.

I believe WTVD's Don Schwenneker made an account here at one point while he was at WBBM.

2 minutes ago, newsguy22 said:

And yes, WWL was a powerhouse then. So many legends there. It was an honor to work at the station I grew up watching.

It's great to have you here!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newsguy22 said:

I don't mean to go off topic (as I will here) but I can think of at least 15 legends right off the bat at WWL over its history. I think WWL had more legends than any other station in America at one point, literary.

I mean...

• J. Michael Early (former VP and GM; giant in CBS and broadcasting)
  • Phil Johnson (former ND; another giant)
  • Garland Robinette
  • Angela Hill
  • Dennis Woltering
  • Eric Paulsen
  • Andre Trevigne
  • SallyAnn Roberts
  • Bill Elder (!)
  • Don Westbrook
  • Dave Barnes
  • Nash Roberts
  • Carl Arredondo
  • Mike Hoss
  • Jim Henderson
  • Meg Farris
  • Bill Capo
  • Frank Davis
  • Hoda Kotb
  • John Snell (now at WVUE)

Yeah. Don't mean to go off topic, but... yeah.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newsguy22 said:

That was EQ Vance. And I’d say the WDAZ pack was definitely more the knock-off. Very in-house-y.

• Thanks 1