Holy Graphics Knockoff Batman!!

ABC 7 Denver

To go with WBBH's "take" of Look F, sister station WZVN got an actually not too bad version of KABC's old/KGO's graphics. It's clear that Fort Myers, besides the Fox station, is a market full of knock-offs.

The real abomination is that version of the Circle 7 they use. Woof.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

International Edition:

I stumbled on this discovery on Youtube. Apparently it looks like someone at TV3 in Malaysia really likes RTL in The Netherlands because not only did they copy their open, they also copied their graphics and their set.

Credit to Bintro on Youtube for first noticing this.

International Edition:

I stumbled on this discovery on Youtube. Apparently it looks like someone at TV3 in Malaysia really likes RTL in The Netherlands because not only did they copy their open, they also copied their graphics and their set.

Credit to Bintro on Youtube for first noticing this.

Maybe they licensed it...and paid for it.

• Like 1

To go with WBBH's "take" of Look F, sister station WZVN got an actually not too bad version of KABC's old/KGO's graphics. It's clear that Fort Myers, besides the Fox station, is a market full of knock-offs.

That's not a knock-off. WZVN bought this package syndicated from Hothaus, and, as I posted in another thread, WBBH is using Look F from Artworks not their own take. If anything it was WINK that was using the Look F knock-off.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
My first post! Just wanted to bring this up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5C5QL3wl4

I don't know if it counts as a knockoff or not. But it might be, because these are the only two stations I've seen with this look. If there are more, I'd like to know.

I believe that was a syndicated package that VDO created for KNWA.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In another rare sports example, the IIHF U-18 tournament in Slovenia is actually using a knock-off of TSN's old scoreboard.

[MEDIA=twitter]852962699487178752[/MEDIA]

The possible reason? TSN actually does the world feed production for some of the IIHF tournaments (particularly the U20 championship and Women's world championship) with their own graphics, so someone probably had ideas. Either way, those bevels are ugly, and what did you do to our freaking flag?!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.

Orlando City on TV 27 (WRDQ)... uses ESPN-look a like graphics from the current look. I guess its because of ESPN's partnership with MLS.

(For those wondering how I'm figuring this out, I'm on vacation. Orlando tonight and Monday night, Gainesville on Sunday afternoon and Monday morning)

• Like 2

Every now and then, whenever North Korea does something, news sites always post pictures of people in South Korea watching coverage of this on TVs in public places. And one channel that always seems to be on, Yonhap News TV, looked oddly familiar.

231512.jpg

I found a video clip of this, just to confirm that the cube logo does rotate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of2kUPsQJ4k

It looks a lot like Fox News Channel! The spinning cube, the time below it, the yellow text on the ticker, the stock markets to the right of that, I think the designers of this liked the way Fox News looked and clearly decided to incorporate a lot of FNC elements into Yonhap.

• Like 2

TVA/LCN in French Canada got a new look this year that seems very familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Actually, no. It's pretty easy to figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl8QSjzhBks

Yeah, that's screaming a ripoff alright.

Is it possible "ripped off" looks are actually requested to be used by other networks/stations? Meaning isn't it at all possible TVA/LCN asked CNN for their package and all they did was recolor it and change a few other things?

Is it possible "ripped off" looks are actually requested to be used by other networks/stations? Meaning isn't it at all possible TVA/LCN asked CNN for their package and all they did was recolor it and change a few other things?

I think it's more "walk up to a designer and say 'hey, we like this new CNN look. Think you could make the same thing but blue?'"

Meanwhile KQDS did change ... a bit

• Like 1

I don't think CNN would license their graphics package in an area that they cover and the channel is available widely. Actually no, they wouldn't license the package at all as it's a worldwide brand and available almost everywhere. They wouldn't want to dilute the coverage or make it look like a channel is affiliated with them.

I do believe CNN does license individual illustrations and animations.

• Like 2

I don't think CNN would license their graphics package in an area that they cover and the channel is available widely. Actually no, they wouldn't license the package at all as it's a worldwide brand and available almost everywhere. They wouldn't want to dilute the coverage or make it look like a channel is affiliated with them.

I do believe CNN does license individual illustrations and animations.

There could be a specific template CNN licensed to CFTM, but it would have to have been as basic as possible. That ticker animation is enough of a giveaway.

Also note that CFTM uses Gotham and not the proprietary not-quite-Helvetica typeface CNN's infused into their graphical look.

I think it's more "walk up to a designer and say 'hey, we like this new CNN look. Think you could make the same thing but blue?'"

Meanwhile KQDS did change ... a bit

Now it looks like KTXL's old 2011 graphics in a way. i think its the fonts they use.