KPHO New Graphics, Set and Music

NewsMaster

It's about time!

Meredith really likes bright sets. I wonder if we'll see something like this coming to KMOV? As far as those graphics, they kind of remind me of the Scripps package a little bit (font, style, etc.), overall not too bad.

And now we have 2 Meredith stations using "The Edge" (joining new sister KMOV).

You can watch it in action here: http://www.kpho.com/category/275023/livestream-newscasts

Now if they just get rid of that stupid slogan they'll be all set.

Meredith really likes bright sets. I wonder if we'll see something like this coming to KMOV? As far as those graphics, they kind of remind me of the Scripps package a little bit (font, style, etc.), overall not too bad.

That's because KPHO is using WPTV's old RenderOn graphics prior to Scripps' move to standardization.

http://vimeo.com/15641748

That's because KPHO is using WPTV's old RenderOn graphics prior to Scripps' move to standardization.

http://vimeo.com/15641748

Something told me this was a bit of an old graphics package. I'm surprised they didn't go for the CBS O&O stuff WGCL is using (or keep The Enforcer), but I wonder if that's related to futureproofing for a combined 5/3 operation. The set also feels a bit temporary.

KPHO is using different typefaces (Proxima Nova instead of Akzidenz Grotesk). They also are not using any opens or talent opens at 10pm (noon had a short open), but they didn't do that in the last few years either.

Something told me this was a bit of an old graphics package. I'm surprised they didn't go for the CBS O&O stuff WGCL is using (or keep The Enforcer), but I wonder if that's related to futureproofing for a combined 5/3 operation. The set also feels a bit temporary.

KPHO is using different typefaces (Proxima Nova instead of Akzidenz Grotesk). They also are not using any opens or talent opens at 10pm (noon had a short open), but they didn't do that in the last few years either.

Didn't think about the possible 5/3 combo and the logistics involved with that possible integration, but that makes sense.

I'm just surprised at how much Meredith is investing in these stations lately. I mean I have no gripes about the journalism content of these stations (except WGCL which I feel gets too fluffy), but when it came to graphics or news sets, Meredith was pretty stingy.

• 1 month later...

I have a couple of observations:

During the 7-day forecast, a 5-note sound plays. Odd since The Edge is only four notes. Guess it's a stock theme from the package or I'm just not hearing it right...

During the closing, the announcer says "CBS5AZ.com your online home for free news and information", So, do the other stations charge for news or something? I don't get that reference...

Nice graphics and music though. Hope they keep it if the consolidation with KTVK goes through. Set does look temporary as mentioned earlier. May have plans for something better down the road...

During the 7-day forecast, a 5-note sound plays. Odd since The Edge is only four notes. Guess it's a stock theme from the package or I'm just not hearing it right...

During the closing, the announcer says "CBS5AZ.com your online home for free news and information", So, do the other stations charge for news or something? I don't get that reference...

Nice graphics and music though. Hope they keep it if the consolidation with KTVK goes through. Set does look temporary as mentioned earlier. May have plans for something better down the road...

KPNX/AZ Central (Arizona Republic)- Owned by Gannett, charge for some of their content. I'm sure the other stations in town try to take a swipe at the Gannett properties for charging for their content.

The five-note sound is actually from the old News One music package they used in the early 2000s (someone had already mentioned it here).

The five-note sound is actually from the old News One music package they used in the early 2000s (someone had already mentioned it here).

They'd been doing that through the ENTIRE Enforcer era as well (so about 12 years at this point). I'd heard a couple News One cuts floating around sporadically during sports wraps as late as 2010/2011.

Oh, and their weather subchannel, that forgotten and lonely waste of space, still is using Enforcer. This is unusual because Enforcer actually disappeared from every place it was being used when they rolled out The Edge.

KNXV did the same thing from 2007-09; they were using Eyewitness News but they had a weather sounder from their 2002 relaunch package.

One other thing: yes, that "free news" line is a swipe at AZCentral. KPHO's site is not bad, though I don't like how they promote it on air as cbs5az.com. (You can still go to kpho.com — and it still works!)

Archived