KYW combining TV, radio newsrooms

Samantha

The KYW radio operation will move to Spring Garden, effective Sunday. An expansion of the center added new air and production studios to accommodate the radio side.

One of TV news's greatest flops, because of the way it was structured, was KIRO's "news outside the box" experiment of 1993. In hindsight it looks visionary, though it probably went too far, because of the way it leveraged both sides of a successful operation. Things like this prove it.

I was wondering when they were gonna do this; when the old building was demo'd, KYW radio just went next door. It seemed like a temp setup that was extended. Are the other CBS radio stations moving in there too? (And, can't they name it the KYW Broadcast Center? The CBS Broadcast Center name is already in NYC, so it could get confusing.)

This was discussed somewhat in December: http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/13329-the-cbs-3-eyewitness-news-thread/

I'm not familiar with KIRO's experiment. Why did it fail? As I note in the linked thread, WBZ-TV and -AM have always shared a building. They combined the newsrooms during a renovation in the early '90s. It has worked for them, why not in Seattle?

This was discussed somewhat in December: http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/13329-the-cbs-3-eyewitness-news-thread/

I'm not familiar with KIRO's experiment. Why did it fail? As I note in the linked thread, WBZ-TV and -AM have always shared a building. They combined the newsrooms during a renovation in the early '90s. It has worked for them, why not in Seattle?

"News outside the box". The TV and radio sides shared a single newsroom, while KTZZ picked up KIRO's morning radio news. Radio reporters were awkward on TV, TV people were awkward on radio, and it was all too distracting. The ratings were also low.

It won't be attempted again because the next year, Bonneville had KIRO-TV split from its AM and FM sisters and went to Belo (this was literally days before KIRO was announced to be losing CBS). They moved the year after that.

Combining the newsrooms does not equate to sharing on-air staff.

The way it seems -- and indeed how it's being presented -- is that the newsrooms are now pooling resources under one roof.

This isn't the big deal you want it to be.

^ This. It has been going on for years at KYW. They combine resources for a while, then they cool off and each goes back to their respective corners. It's a cycle that I've seen firsthand.

At 5th & Market, TV's Camera 6 was parked in Radio Studio Y for ages. The morning Eyewitness News used to have live anchor cut-ins from AM (even had a cart -yes, a cart- in the audio booth of the ticker fx for that hit). That went away and that camera sat shooting an empty chair for ages. Then KYW NewsRadio on WPSG happened; they used this space. That show died and Studio Y never made it on television again. Fast forward to around 2010-2011, I think, to see AM reporters doing V/O for EWN packages with occasional standups. Then it went away again.

The partnership cycle has had its ups and downs for years. This move doesn't really change anything. The respective assignment desks have been a sneeze apart for a long time.

KYW radio just went next door. It seemed like a temp setup that was extended. Are the other CBS radio stations moving in there too?

It wasn't intended to be a temporary thing at all. Corporate stuff and the large amount of extra room in the TV building made this all feasible. The Spring Garden 6th floor space is over four times the square footage of the whole 5th & Market building, and the latter housed two radio + two television stations. Also remember that you don't need all of the room for technology these days that you used to. That being said, however, there wouldn't be room for the other CBS radio stations to move to Spring Garden without purchasing real estate on other floors.

WTMJ-TV and WTMJ radio used to have a combined newsroom (Which I think they started with, then broke it up, then combined it again), but it was broken up at some point due to space issues. I vaguely remember seeing the setup on-air years ago. They continue to share resources, and the radio news people also do double duty as the web team for tmj4.com and 620wtmj.com. A number of the radio talent end up on TV all the time, two of them have either recurring daily segments or their own show on Sundays. The TV people end up on radio quite frequently.

It works. Really well.

WTMJ also has a camera in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel newsroom. You want to talk about awkward...

IIRC, the "News Outside the Box" used the newsroom for the set - not the newsroom in the background, but anchoring in the newsroom itself. The clips I have from a trip out there during that period looked "weird" to me - they stylized the newsroom in black and white - with a lot of white, plus in evening and late-night newscasts, the set was fairly empty. Imaging "Citytv News Pulse" done wrong (supposedly Citytv was part of the inspiration for the TV side).

I can see radio people being ackward on TV and vice versa - just imagine newspaper people on TV... (I heard that Hearst had been experimenting with this in Houston with the Chronicle - I don't know what became of it...).

J

Yeah. CBS 3 and KYW (yes, I use "KYW" to refer to 1060 - a lot of people do) have been working together, on and off, for years. Right now, save for AM Drive, KYW uses CBS 3 forecasts and talent. (Mornings are still the realm of Elliot Abrams - who had a Daily News feature article this weekend - and AccuWeather.) They were using Bob Kelly for afternoons, but since he's apparently scaled back to mornings only, they're using the regular traffic reporters (Metro, right?)

There have always been some people who originated on the radio side then moved to TV (and also vice-versa). Amy Caples started on 1060 before moving to CBS 3. Brandon Brooks? KYW, then CBS 3, then KYW. Lesley Van Arsdall? KYW, then CBS 3. So there's been crossover. I've also been seeing 1060 reporters show up on CBS 3 - Cheri Gregg had a live shot where she apparently didn't know she was live, so she botched her intro then redid it.

And, of course, when KYW switched to KYW News 3, they co-branded the TV and radio sides as "KYW News":

KYWNews.jpg

I personally like having KYW-TV 3 and KYW 1060 having separate identities. I don't know why, but it allows the TV station to stand on its own rather than borrow the well-established identity of the radio station. That and I like being able to hear the Enforcer Signature in my market again.

As for newspaper people on TV... three words: "Inquirer News Tonight".

As for newspaper people on TV... three words: "Inquirer News Tonight".

;-)

I'm waiting for the Washington Post to start doing more - they do a short daily webcast that isn't half bad (at least the couple of times I checked it out...). I could see them partnering with WDCW/50 at some point (since Tribune doesn't have a newscast in the nation's capital - but I've got to believe has resources there for the other stations and papers...). Hire a couple of younger anchors - or could we see the abomination that is "NewsFix"...

J

The guy who now owns the Washington Post runs Amazon.com - I'm sure they're pretty secure in whatever web ventures they pursue.

Anyway, for yesterday's breaking news coverage of the house explosion in Ewing, CBS 3 did play up KYW's co-habitation in the newsroom, and did use a 1060 reporter "on the phone" (albeit a very good, high-quality one that doesn't sound like a phone at all)

I listened to 1060 for a bit today. It's going to take them awhile to not instinctively say "Independence Mall" when they do their own weather hits. They're using "In Center City". Likewise, they're now coming from the "CBS Broadcast Center in Spring Garden". (Which makes it sound like they should be redoing the open voiceovers...)

EDIT: Annnnnd they did redo the EWN open voiceovers. Previously the v/o was: "Live from the CBS 3 Studios in Philadelphia". Now it's "Live from the CBS Broadcast Center in Philadelphia".

The guy who now owns the Washington Post runs Amazon.com - I'm sure they're pretty secure in whatever web ventures they pursue.

Anyway, for yesterday's breaking news coverage of the house explosion in Ewing, CBS 3 did play up KYW's co-habitation in the newsroom, and did use a 1060 reporter "on the phone" (albeit a very good, high-quality one that doesn't sound like a phone at all)

I listened to 1060 for a bit today. It's going to take them awhile to not instinctively say "Independence Mall" when they do their own weather hits. They're using "In Center City". Likewise, they're now coming from the "CBS Broadcast Center in Spring Garden". (Which makes it sound like they should be redoing the open voiceovers...)

EDIT: Annnnnd they did redo the EWN open voiceovers. Previously the v/o was: "Live from the CBS 3 Studios in Philadelphia". Now it's "Live from the CBS Broadcast Center in Philadelphia".

It may take them awhile to get the CBS Broadcast Center mention edited in the TOH open....Dick Covington has been dead for several years.

It may take them awhile to get the CBS Broadcast Center mention edited in the TOH open....Dick Covington has been dead for several years.

Monday was infact the 10 yr anniversary of his death.

kyw has been splicing in a female VO for a few yrs now. Starting with the call letters havning to include wysp HD2 I think. Since then its been changed to include the various websites 1060 has used, WIP, and more recent the studio sponsor.

When they got a studio sponsor, I believe thats when Dick's "From Independence Mall..." was cut from the TOH id, so this move isn't gonna effect that anyway. Only part they play now is the "All news, all the time" after the female VO finishes.

Independence Mall was not cut from the top of the hour until the recent move. It was a rather large part of their identity. (And they got away with that because the building they moved to in '07 was literally right up against the old 5th & Market building!) One of the anchors made a mention of leaving Independence Mall and loving every minute being there at the end of her air shift last Friday. The only change at the top of the hour lately has been that cut of "From Independence Mall..." and picks up with "This is KYW 1060...." and so forth.

Bottom of the hour has the Penn Medicine sponsor, and I believe that's Michelle Durham voicing that, just like the call signs at the top of the hour.

Archived