WMAQ wins Late News Feb 2014

BehindNYNews

...10pm, but yeah.

This isn't really anything new. Of course, WMAQ has been stronger as of late, especially in the demo...and that's no fluke. However, I'd be more interested to see how the two stations fared at 4pm, when NBC5 aired news early after afternoon coverage. I bet ABC7 is on the edge of their seats waiting for the day they can formally dump Katie and restore the old 3pm line-up. And let's not forgot the rumored shake-up in the mornings later this year.

...10pm, but yeah.

This isn't really anything new. Of course, WMAQ has been stronger as of late, especially in the demo...and that's no fluke. However, I'd be more interested to see how the two stations fared at 4pm, when NBC5 aired news early after afternoon coverage. I bet ABC7 is on the edge of their seats waiting for the day they can formally dump Katie and restore the old 3pm line-up. And let's not forgot the rumored shake-up in the mornings later this year.

What is rumored for the morning? Just the anchor changes expected?

What is rumored for the morning? Just the anchor changes expected?

That's enough, by WLS standards. Last I heard, though, they've bounced back a little, frequently notching first place in the pre-7am race (occasionally 2nd to WGN), though usually fighting with WMAQ for second in the demo. This is better than the consistent 2nd or 3rd they were running in both categories.

That's enough, by WLS standards. Last I heard, though, they've bounced back a little, frequently notching first place in the pre-7am race (occasionally 2nd to WGN), though usually fighting with WMAQ for second in the demo. This is better than the consistent 2nd or 3rd they were running in both categories.

I find it so odd the same holdings company that runs WGN runs WPIX.

Do you (or anyone) know how WLS is doing at 11am?

Competitive with 2 and 9, with the latter almost always leading. 7 usually runs second, but the three stations are separated by only a few tenths of a point. As controversial as it was, dumping the 11am news has not at all been a failure.

I know. However, I think WPIX may of even been better than WGN at the time before they changed their whole newscast. Personally, before then, I think WPIX was one of the best networks in New York. Also, I don't know WGN all that well, since I don't live in Chicago, but I assume they do pretty good during sweeps periods. Now WPIX is a joke, but I think that's needless to say. Tribune really should give more money to WPIX so they can try to actually be a watchable newscast. I quote "dabx" for this quote, from the post about Tamsen sinking the ratings at PIX:

"I hope in the future that Tribune will stop treating WPIX as a step child. The WGN always seemed to have a better, bigger broadcast facility, If Tribune really want WPIX to be successful, they need to throw some money this way for infrastructure and talent."

Although, they seem to have their teams together, they desperately need new graphics, music, set, etc. And their management is terrible. Mark Effron isn't taking them to the next level, and without dedicated management, their ratings will not improve. I will stop here since this is mainly a Chicago thread, but I find it so hard to believe that WPIX is actually affiliated with WGN and still is. I guess if it wasn't for Bill Carey, this whole thing wouldn't of happened and we would of been talking about how great WPIX is doing in the ratings. But I guess that's just wishful thinking...

WLS NEEDS to bring the 11am news back!

For better or worse, they may be way down from where they were, but they're still competitive enough in the time slot. I don't see anything changing. Personally, while I do miss the 11AM news, I still appreciate the fact that they're committed to locally-produced entertainment programming.

For better or worse, they may be way down from where they were, but they're still competitive enough in the time slot. I don't see anything changing. Personally, while I do miss the 11AM news, I still appreciate the fact that they're committed to locally-produced entertainment programming.

Yeah they are a tweak or 3 away on WCL to making it #1 at 11am. A 3.2, 2.8, 2.7 spread from 1st to 3rd at 11am is pretty good and close, no reason to scrap it. If they were getting a 1.0 and in 5th then you might see them backtrack and put the 11am News back on. I would rather see the news back, WCL has no appeal for me, except when they talk to some of the ABC 7 talent.

Has anyone who is watching NBC 5 coverage tonight for the Primary election notice that the graphics are very much updated. There is a new bug that has premiered and the lower 3rds are new to match the bug. Possibly just because it is election night but not what we are seeing as Look F updates in LA and Dallas

Watching more of the news, they moved off the election coverage and the graphics are still original Look F but it looks as if they are animating the lower 3rds now instead of hard cuts, from what I saw during the brief weather segment. Also, the closing certainly was not the 360 music package, and if I am correct, it is Tower V.5.

Has anyone who is watching NBC 5 coverage tonight for the Primary election notice that the graphics are very much updated. There is a new bug that has premiered and the lower 3rds are new to match the bug. Possibly just because it is election night but not what we are seeing as Look F updates in LA and Dallas

Sorry, I got sidetracked for several minutes, but I'm posting this anyway...

The L3's are special for the election. As for the bug, as much as I like what they're going for, it's way too big and it overflows outside the standard Look F's. I will say, it might be temporary as well, for the only other time they used it was for the GOP debate a few weeks ago. Frankly, I've never liked NBC 5's election graphics. They're always some mismatched hodge-podge of Artworks packages (local and national) from years ago. CBS 2's are okay, as were WGN's, nothing really special. I didn't watch WFLD, but I'd imagine they had their normal graphics. ABC 7, I've been impressed with. The ticker's great, I like the mods made to the L3's (stars, some red added), and keeping the old election theme is icing on the cake.

The bug has been used all day today, it was used during the morning as well as 4:30, 5, and 6 so that may mean it was just for today, we shall see tomorrow morning. There is no doubt that it is still the original Look F but I definitely notice that the L3 is starting to be animated, especially during the weather segment. NBC 5 also seems to be the last to get any time of graphics update (Look A for 7 years) and always seems to test things here and there but never go any further than that.

Archived