News Music Package Crossover Cuts, Beds, and Signatures

I wonder if that NS2K1/WJXT cut also ties back to The One and Only. That package seems to have been the backbone of mid-90s Gari - besides crossing over with NS2KPlus and Great News, it also provided the building blocks for the KMOV 1993 custom, the WXIA 1993 custom (yes, it actually started in late '93, not '94 -

), the WTAE 1994 custom, and Where It All Happens (and there's probably more TO&O track repurposing in other packages that I haven't noticed yet).

Another crossover, one that might intrigue Raymie - at the end of NMSA's sampler of Making a Difference is a modified version of the original News Station close (the one with the piano), with the MAD logo signature at the end.

I noticed that too. I half-suspect WIXT, which used News Station for about 20 years, had a hand in expanding Making a Difference because their slogan in the early-mid 90s was "Making a Difference [in Central New York]". It was even written into some of their news opens in the 1993 series (NMSA sample #1 and #2) and as a sung jingle ("9 News (Making a Difference!), Central New York's News Source").

News Station, by the way, also is partly credited to Jerry Fuller (who wrote "Travelin' Man" and a bunch of actual songs). It sounds a bit different from Gari's other 90s work, if you notice.

Not to mention the complicated NBC Collection. One of the cuts in the sample (also, WXIA sample #3) can also be sung to the jingle "The World is Coming to Atlanta"—that's NOT a coincidence!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the cuts in the sample (also, WXIA sample #3) can also be sung to the jingle "The World is Coming to Atlanta"—that's NOT a coincidence!

That cut was part of an Olympic affiliate theme package Gari did for the 1996 games. I guess it's part of the NBC Collection now.

Looks like it may have started out as a separate collection before a piece or more of it was merged into the NBC Collection and potentially other packages. That is, if the BMI entry reflects this particular work.

http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&keyID=6127845&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID

Entry: 280 Gari Olympic Instrumental Package

http://repertoire.bmi.com/writer.asp?fromrow=276&torow=300&keyname=GARI%20FRANK%20DANIEL&querytype=WriterID&keyid=426646&page=12&blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&affiliation=BMI&cae=11400362

TVPMM.com has the complete Newschannel (or at least the complete Newschannel up to 1993?) in its Vault (membership only). Because the rights holders allow stuff to be posted there based on the good faith that it will not be copied and leaked elsewhere on the Internet, I will not share any audio. (Besides, if I did and they found out, they would undoubtedly revoke my membership because I'd be violating their terms of service.)

With that out of the way, I will at least report what I hear.

-The original "Champion News Series" long cut is in Newschannel - there's a version with just the NC logo, a version with just the CNS logo, a hybrid with the CNS logo but the NC logo statement at the end of the first part and again at the very end (this was heard on WTSP when they used NC at the turn of the millennium), a version with both at the beginning but no NC at the end, and various mixouts. (I think CNS must have had some extra edits/mixouts - the original WFLX open heard on NMSA bridges the ending part onto the opening vamp.)

BTW - I wonder, what is the reason that there was even an alternate logo for those cuts in the first place? From available clips, the earliest place they were heard seems to have been WIS, so I'm guessing they commissioned that addition - and though it could be a coincidence, this clip starts with an ID whose music resembles it, so did the CNS logo originate from some WIS promo theme?

CNS itself confuses me - why did the NC-less versions of the cut spawn a separate package, anyway? Who commissioned it - KCCI, or WFLX? I'm even wondering if KCCI may have commissioned it because they liked that cut, KWWL wasn't using it, but KCCI couldn't use NC itself because the two stations' signals overlapped in 8 counties. Just a theory, I have no idea if it's true...

-There are a bunch of cuts (or specifically, mixouts/variants of one cut?) which originate from/are related to the 1992 update of Good News (similar to

) but incorporate the NC melody. In some of the mixes, you can even hear statements of the Good News logo in the vamp. (Other versions have a different, unfamiliar motif - neither GN nor NC - plugged into the vamp in its place.) You can hear one of these cuts in KWWL open #2 at NMSA (and it's one of the ones that still has leftover GN parts).

-There are a bunch of cuts (or specifically, mixouts/variants of one cut?) which originate from/are related to the 1992 update of Good News (similar to

) but incorporate the NC melody. In some of the mixes, you can even hear statements of the Good News logo in the vamp. (Other versions have a different, unfamiliar motif - neither GN nor NC - plugged into the vamp in its place.) You can hear one of these cuts in KWWL open #2 at NMSA (and it's one of the ones that still has leftover GN parts).

I'm not as knowledgeable over the Newschannel & CNS series as I'd like to be... But regarding the linked cut you mentioned from the 1992 update of Good News, I've heard that same mix with Hello News III / TGNP combo logos. I'm not sure which package the core base of that theme originated in, but there were enough sound stems from it to be mixed into various opens, bumps & closers.

I tossed up a file of it titled: hello_combo cut_01 so you and everyone else can hear the additional variation.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qaae8xleopm5u0i/LLCVKlwSfV

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this hs been mentioned here, but a while ago while looking through one of NewsActive3's compilations, I found a couple of clips from KSDK from the late 1990s/early 2000s. The 10 p.m. talent open included featured a cut from "NBC - New Millennium" (which that station used as its theme music at the time) that sounded a lot like one of the evening cuts from "Primetime News" (Non-Stop Music).

• 1 month later...

I just found on News Music Now, that Series 2 of The Great News Package has a morning theme that sounds almost identical to the cut of "News Watch" used by KGW in 1994:

Series 2 of Making A Difference uses the same theme. There's a sample of WSBT using it on the NMSA (sample 6, to be specific), in addition to NMN's sample of it.

WHSV uses the same cut of Making a Difference. Also see sample 7 of WIXT's News Station.

• 3 weeks later...

What's the story on the Signature Theme Package?

I recall reading in the comments section of a WPXI video on YouTube that they did their own in-house cuts of Total Coverage to be used in an interim period where their license to use the real thing was up, but NBC Flagship wasn't done yet. Signature Theme Package has a musical logo obviously based on WFSB News Package/Advantage's and KDKA didn't use it for very long...

• 7 months later...

Here's an interesting subcategory of these - elements which are recycled in other packages without the track structures necessarily lining up. A good example is the morning cut from News Series 2000 Plus Series 1. The vamp/ticker element in that cut is actually taken from the main theme of The Great News Package Series 2, except it's been slowed down. Again, Gari and co. worked their sequencer sorcery, isolating a couple elements (the ticker and the rhythm), changing the tempo, and building an entirely new track on top of them.

• 2 years later...

Listen to Wafb #2 sample of News Channel on NMSA and there is the great news package signature in the beginning of the series 1 open.

Huge bump, but I wanted to leave this here...I noticed that this KWWL open seems to hybridize Newschannel and Good News, in a theme we've heard so many times...

Archived