News Music Package Crossover Cuts, Beds, and Signatures

Tuesday was located in San Diego. All the cuts I've heard from KGTV sound updated.

We have evidence that shows Tuesday's News 88 was around as early as 1985.

There are promos with News 88 from 84 around on youtube.. *goes searching*.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are promos with News 88 from 84 around on youtube.. *goes searching*.

That sounds right given the Copyright Office registrations I've seen for the package as well... The one I saw on News 88 had WCAU on it.

To bring the subject back to crossovers - I've been wanting to discuss this stuff for a long time. Apologies if I just repeat well-known info, and if anybody happens to have access to full packages, feel free to weigh in about any other crossover cuts I may have missed.

"Hello News III" is one of the first places I noticed crossover. It's already been mentioned that the Great News melody is running through it, but I remember being floored when I realized that the 1992-93 WEWS open music was the Hello News III open cut with the WEWS 1990 melody. I wonder if the other "WEWS 1992" cuts are also cribbed from HN3 (and if there are any quotes of Catch 5 like in the original '90 cuts...)

The Great News "top up" cuts have already been mentioned in context of Hello crossover, but did Cuts A/B/C/D also include the often-heard "Turn To" crossover open?

To bring the subject back to crossovers - I've been wanting to discuss this stuff for a long time. Apologies if I just repeat well-known info, and if anybody happens to have access to full packages, feel free to weigh in about any other crossover cuts I may have missed.

"Hello News III" is one of the first places I noticed crossover. It's already been mentioned that the Great News melody is running through it, but I remember being floored when I realized that the 1992-93 WEWS open music was the Hello News III open cut with the WEWS 1990 melody. I wonder if the other "WEWS 1992" cuts are also cribbed from HN3 (and if there are any quotes of Catch 5 like in the original '90 cuts...)

The Great News "top up" cuts have already been mentioned in context of Hello crossover, but did Cuts A/B/C/D also include the often-heard "Turn To" crossover open?

I know how most of the turn-to package sounds, but trying to remember any phrase or melody that would also possibly be in these "top up" A/B/C/D cuts that have some hints/reminders of turn-to in it... If possible, point me to a place where I can hear an example of some turn-to crossover-ish type stuff or a phrase idea.

Totally going by memory - here's what I remember. (A) the cut featured earlier in this thread that was in an open. (B.) open without the hello signatures © open to close (similar to original orchestral piece, but totally synthesized like the rest of these alphabet labeled cuts. (D) one of these mentioned opens without a vamp.

Check out the super crude layout I threw together in the dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qaae8xleopm5u0i/LLCVKlwSfV

Oh, we're only discussing cuts that actually overlap between packages, as opposed to package cuts which quote other packages? What I was referring to was

, which was also heard on other stations that had used Turn To (
, WKYC -
) and some that hadn't (KMOV, KPDX).

And was Cut D

? It sounds like it was done at the same time as the other ones...

As far as tracks that actually overlap between packages, I'm finding a lot of great examples. More in my next post.

Awesome info. I suppose we're all discussing a little bit of both. When I listened to those links in your reply... the first thing I "thought' I heard was some "Newschannel" mixed in haaaa, but seriously I hear the "turn to" part as well. They never included anything like that in the general package, at least to my knowledge. I suppose they made that combo custom and didn't share it outside of the station(s) who wanted it to compliment their existing pack.

I forgot to add in that the cut from the first link and the donut cut you shared was in the package, just without the additional logo add on parts. It was around 3 different cuts. The generic "donut" cut originally faded out around :25 to :26 and did not have a regular logo sting. I see Gari added a sting to it for the custom cut.

And was Cut D

As far as tracks that actually overlap between packages, I'm finding a lot of great examples. More in my next post.

Yes sir, that cut was the closer from that top of the package add-on series!

Interesting aside: NMSA says WDTN stopped using Hello News in 1988 - which they did, that's when they went to Great News/Hello News II - yet the site also includes two opens with Hello News III, which I can't find any on-air clips of prior to '92 (and the earliest clip I can find of that WEWS-customized HN3 intro is also from early '92). So while they did stop using Hello News in 1988 to go to Great News, after using the "Hello News 2.5" Cuts A/B/C/D they went "back" to HN3. It illustrates how incestuous the relationship between Hello News and "Great News" was. (But since the HN3 cuts stayed with Hello News when Gari "divorced" Great News from Hello, I guess NMSA should add a second WDTN entry for Hello once the time frames can be determined.)

Actually, 1991-92 seems to be when Gari started getting sequencer-happy and mixing and matching track elements between packages. (What would he have been using at the time? A Fairlight CMI or something like that?)

I'll get into the shared tracks next, I promise.

Agreed! And what an incestuous relationship it was between the Hello and "Great" News series.... almost to a point of utter chaos, looking in from the outside.

I'm not too sure over all of the sequencers he used, but I do know he had a Korg M1 and a Korg Wavestation. He LOVES LOVES LOVES one particular brass mix preset on that M1 of his. It's still a go-to preset today for things!

I strongly believe he had a Kurzweil 2000 series sampler synth since I know Arnold and 615 had one and I've heard similar presets between all three companies.

As far as a Fairlight goes, I'd venture to say he had one. It was pretty much THE top of the line early to mid 80's sampler/sequencer. I also wouldn't rule out the Synclavier. If memory doesn't fail me, Shelly Palmer used one of those for the Palmer News Package so I would strongly assume Gari wanted his hands on the hottest toys of the time.

Well, whatever he had, 1991-92 seems to be when the 90s Gari sound began, and when Gari and co. went all-in on using their sequencers to switch out melodies.

But I'm not saying they weren't doing it before, because it's becoming clear that they did it when these Great News/Hello II extra cuts were done (I am guessing 1987, because the earliest clips of them in use are from that year, and the package itself only debuted in '86.)

And guess what? There was another version! Listen to the first Great News open NMSA lists for WMBB: http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#1,1,WMBB It sounds like it's the same cut as/a longer edit of

...which NMSA lists under Hello. Even though you can make out the Great News motif in the vamp. Anyway, these were clearly built out of the same elements as those Great News cuts A/B/C/D, but with Hello as the primary logo instead - but they're not the same as those, so which package were they actually marketed in? (Or were cuts A-D offered with the choice of one of the three melodies?)

Eventually, I promise I'll get to other packages, but this is just too much fun...

Well, whatever he had, 1991-92 seems to be when the 90s Gari sound began, and when Gari and co. went all-in on using their sequencers to switch out melodies.

But I'm not saying they weren't doing it before - another confusing issue is the first Great News open NMSA lists for WMBB: http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#1,1,WMBB It sounds like it's the same cut as/a longer edit of

...which NMSA lists under Hello. Even though you can make out the Great News motif in the vamp. Anyway, these were clearly built out of the same elements as those Great News cuts A/B/C/D, but with Hello as the primary melody instead - but they're not the same, so which package were they actually in?

That WMBB/KOLN open was another edit in that top of the package add on. KOLN did an shorter edit. You are right, the early 90's was the beginning of the signature 90's sound that Gari developed and it was go crazy time with the sequencer toys and that M1 brass preset. I tossed the the M1 brass cut example in the dropbox where you would know what I was referencing. Anyone that has heard a news theme will recognize it haha. Good work TServo! Thanks for bringing up those additional opening cut edits.

So was the WMBB/KOLN version in those A/B/C/D, or did the "standard" versions of all four cuts have the TGNP/H2 melody (meaning the "Hello" versions were alternates by request like the "Turn To" versions)?

So was the WMBB/KOLN version in those A/B/C/D, or did the "standard" versions of all four cuts have the TGNP/H2 melody?

Yes it was in one of those A,B,C,D cuts. Which would mean, the other versions consisted of an open that started with "TGNP/H2 melody first" as referenced earlier, another open variation of these two cuts and then the close cut. Regarding the close cut, since the example you cited above had both logos, I can only speculate that cut D had both logos in the intro - - since it was an open/vamp/close combo cut similiar to the original orchestrated version.

Makes sense to me. So I'm assuming the "Turn To" variant was by-request (though again, it's odd that a couple stations got it who never even used Turn To News - unless they used the song at some point and we're unaware of it. Or maybe the Turn To hybrids were just included with the syndicated package too...) Oh, and one more - WBAL also had versions of those cuts with the Pride Inside melody worked in.

OK, now I'm going to get into the fun stuff - tracks that are actually shared between multiple packages.

First, to go back to CircleSeven's ambivalence about NMSA's "X with Y Signature" naming system - for WJXT in particular, there doesn't seem to be any particular reason why "WJXT News Theme" gets its own entry but the One and Only and Image News variants are alternates of those packages. Because when you get down to it, none of the "WJXT News Theme" cuts are original! It's like a buffet plate of the c. 1993-94 Great News additions (when and where did those debut?) Allegro, News Series 2000 Plus (Stimulus), and an election cut from News Series 2001 which retains the NS2K1 melody but has the WJXT logo as a counter-melody (and it also turned up in Great News and Allegro, again with leftover bits of the NS2K1 melody).

And BTW, to let everyone know, I'm not trying to attack or criticize Gari - I just find it fun how a lot of the 90s packages are all assembled from the same parts. (And I'm just getting started, I can already think of more examples for next time...)

Because when you get down to it, none of the "WJXT News Theme" cuts are original! It's like a buffet plate of the c. 1993-94 Great News additions (when and where did those debut?)

I'm certain they were commissioned by WKYC; back then they were trying to rebuild after NBC's years of neglect (and before then they were the first commissioners of Turn To, and they used the Great News/Turn To combo around 1992-1993 (before they italicized their Helvetica 3), though I just call it the WTVJ 87 cut, as that's where I first heard (and I have it on my iPod)).

along w/some updates coming from WKYC, some of the cuts may have been created for the Sky Channel and WXIA towards the end of their run with the collection. In 92, Gari released a pretty big update that featured jazzy morning cuts, harder-hitting evening cuts and scores of bumps and promo tracks, some of those tracks being off-spring from other packages, but many that ultimately ended up in the WJXT chinese buffett collection, others going into On Your Side and various other random packages.

Regarding the TGNP updates, once they renamed Hello News II to The Great News Package (sometime in late 93ish) they took out a lot of extra cuts that I would term promo/ultility tracks, probably around 50 updated cuts. I'm not sure of the reasoning, it could have been simply an act to trim down and tidy up the collection for CD purposes. Soon after that, a new update was released that had more of "The One and Only" sound and feel. Around the same period, other packages such as News Series 2000 +/ Stimulus received similar One and Only-esque updates.

Well, that's my 2 cent contribution.

Oh, we're only discussing cuts that actually overlap between packages, as opposed to package cuts which quote other packages? What I was referring to was

, which was also heard on other stations that had used Turn To (
, WKYC -
) and some that hadn't (KMOV, KPDX).

And was Cut D

That KPDX one is basically a KOIN open, so I'd say yes (KOIN used Turn To from about 1988).

Not to mention the fact that there are two Gari packages known as On Your Side. The second one, which is quite 90s Gari (especially the 1993 harder cuts from WFLA), was far less common than the first (only three stations used the second OYS: WFLA, WTHR, WYOU).

Also, on combos, there is a Pride Inside/On Your Side combo that was used by CHCH. It was located because of a rare alternate title in BMI.

Not to mention the fact that there are two Gari packages known as On Your Side. The second one, which is quite 90s Gari (especially the 1993 harder cuts from WFLA), was far less common than the first (only three stations used the second OYS: WFLA, WTHR, WYOU).

Wow, awesome info! What you mentioned about OYS #2 might explain how "The One for All" update was released as its own package. Do you know if TOFA was categorized as a second or new package when WTSP had the update done? As far as the package goes they only syndicated what was the 35 to 40 cut update, no original 80's cuts.

Wow, awesome info! What you mentioned about OYS #2 might explain how "The One for All" update was released as its own package. Do you know if TOFA was categorized as a second or new package when WTSP had the update done? As far as the package goes they only syndicated what was the 35 to 40 cut update, no original 80's cuts.

No, I don't (though I am one of the lucky few to have discovered and seen a WTSP The One for All news open — that gem came out of the Internet Archive).

Judging by the NMSA samples, 90s On Your Side seems to have some repurposed Allegro cuts. (And I'm irked at how NMSA's "remastered" OYS theme sampler contains no 80s cuts - I'll ask him why that is. But that's not related to this.)

Here's another cut shared between packages:

This example is from News Series 2000 Plus/Stimulus, but it's also heard in Great News (that specific cut is in the NMSA sampler). It must be related to the cut heard in this WKYC open - those cuts seemed to have debuted some time around '94?

Also,

, which was also repurposed in the WJXT grab-bag, sounds like it could have been in NS2K Plus too. I swear I can hear where the Stimulus logo would go. Anybody know if it was?

Oh, and

also
. At the beginning, you can still hear a leftover statement of the NS2K1 logo (serving as a counter-melody to the Advantage logo - I think it worked out quite well, actually).

[EDIT: Has anybody ever noticed that if you type out N S 2 K + (without spaces in between), when you submit the post the forum will automatically change it to Stimulus? That's why I had to use the full name or "NS2K Plus". Trippy, huh?]

Here's another cut shared between packages:

This example is from News Series 2000 Plus/Stimulus, but it's also heard in Great News (that specific cut is in the NMSA sampler). It must be related to the cut heard in this WKYC open - those cuts seemed to have debuted some time around '94?

I believe it's part of the original The One and Only which would have debuted in 93.

Can't find the exact cut but it's

I wonder if that NS2K1/WJXT cut also ties back to The One and Only. That package seems to have been the backbone of mid-90s Gari - besides crossing over with NS2KPlus and Great News, it also provided the building blocks for the KMOV 1993 custom, the WXIA 1993 custom (yes, it actually started in late '93, not '94 -

), the WTAE 1994 custom, and Where It All Happens (and there's probably more TO&O track repurposing in other packages that I haven't noticed yet).

Another crossover, one that might intrigue Raymie - at the end of NMSA's sampler of Making a Difference is a modified version of the original News Station close (the one with the piano), with the MAD logo signature at the end.

I believe it's part of the original The One and Only which would have debuted in 93.

Can't find the exact cut but it's

Guys, it's definely an offspring cut from one of the CD #1 closes in TO&Only. I can't find the cut from TO&O in question, but I found another variant.

http://www.newsmusicnow.com/news-music/

go to Stimulus Series II and click close.

This particular TO&O close theme found its way into obviously Stimulus mentioned above, TGNP, WXIA Custom as TServo mentioned and I'm sure others. Besides the close being repurposed in other packages, the stem elements were broken down to points where the "doink" sounding bumper and IDs were easily repurposed. The end elements of the close were also used to create opening pieces. The "doink" sounding bumper essentially also served as a vamp in most of these offspring open cuts.

then go to NewsMusicNow and click on The One and Only - Series I Close

This faster close track was given the same type of treatments mentioned for the other one. The two tracks that I referenced on NewsMusicNow are very similar with the primary differences being in the arrangement and the fact one has a sting out ending.

Mr. Servo hit the nail on the head over TO&O becoming a new backbone for many packages... it like seems like Gari found a way to get the fresh and flashy One and Only into just about every other creation he had.

Archived