News Music Package Crossover Cuts, Beds, and Signatures

I was looking around the NMSA, and noticed that WJXT uses their old custom Gari package as well as a new package by Gari.

The things that stood out to me about the new theme is that it:

1. Uses 'The Edge' signature*
  2. Sounds like 'The Edge'
  3. The only thing different from 'The Edge' is the WJXT signature*

*In some cuts it uses both

Now, I know that Gari has put the 'NewsChannel' signature in 'The Edge,' and WJXT could very well use 'The Edge' with their signature.

Any other information?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See the Newschannel cues that WHAS is using, Gari first labeled it as "Newschannel New Generation". Then once Freedom News (later renamed as "The Edge") came about, the Newschannel NG cues was added into the Edge package.

To tell you the truth, I'm not all that thrilled with the naming of "One Theme w/Another Theme signature logo", because we all know that Gari is highly known for recycling cues from other package and smackdab the signature logo on them, for a long time For example, the WLS updates of News Series 2000 Plus from 2001 & 2013, where they'd recycled cues from First News & Advantage.

So I kinda see WJXT (including updates) like as it the entire package, instead of this "Image w/WJXT" or "The One & Only w/WJXT" or "The Edge w/WJXT", etc. etc. They can recycle hundreds of themes from other packages. as long as it has that same familiar 8-note melody, that's all the station cares about.

Listen to their latest closing theme from this vid. They'd obviously recycled the NBC NG2 theme, and smackdab that WJXT & The Edge logos together. IMO, this is by far my favorite closing theme they'd ever had.

See the Newschannel cues that WHAS is using, Gari first labeled it as "Newschannel New Generation". Then once Freedom News (later renamed as "The Edge") came about, the Newschannel NG cues was added into the Edge package.

To tell you the truth, I'm not all that thrilled with the naming of "One Theme w/Another Theme signature logo", because we all know that Gari is highly known for recycling cues from other package and smackdab the signature logo on them, for a long time. For example, the WLS updates of News Series 2000 Plus from 2001 & 2013, where they'd recycled cues from First News & Advantage. So I kind of see WJXT (including updates) like as it the entire package, instead of this "Image w/WJXT" or "The One & Only w/WJXT" or "The Edge w/WJXT", etc. etc. They can recycle hundreds of themes from other packages. as long as it has that same familiar 8-note melody, that's all the station cares about.

Listen to their latest closing theme from this vid. They'd obviously recycled the NBC NG2 theme, and smackdab that WJXT & The Edge logos together. IMO, this is by far my favorite closing theme they'd ever had.

In fairness, Gari isn't the only one to have done the "One Theme w/Another Theme signature logo" naming scheme. Shelly Palmer did it with a version of Millennium 3 version that incorporated the "I Love Chicago, Chicago My Home" signature from the Palmer News Package.

To tell you the truth, I'm not all that thrilled with the naming of "One Theme w/Another Theme signature logo", because we all know that Gari is highly known for recycling cues from other package and smackdab the signature logo on them, for a long time For example, the WLS updates of News Series 2000 Plus from 2001 & 2013, where they'd recycled cues from First News & Advantage.

So I kinda see WJXT (including updates) like as it the entire package, instead of this "Image w/WJXT" or "The One & Only w/WJXT" or "The Edge w/WJXT", etc. etc. They can recycle hundreds of themes from other packages. as long as it has that same familiar 8-note melody, that's all the station cares about.

Dang, that is a GARI Conglormation of themes and yet it sounds so flawless in its own right. Holy smokes.

In fairness, Gari isn't the only one to have done the "One Theme w/Another Theme signature logo" naming scheme. Shelly Palmer did it with a version of Millennium 3 version that incorporated the "I Love Chicago, Chicago My Home" signature from the Palmer News Package.

Although I've seen not only Gari, but 615 (mixing The Tower & Working For You logo), Palmer, and in some instances, Arnold (listen to Arnold's WISH-TV 1997 package & Counterpoint) have basically recycled other themes are retooled them to smackdab a different logo on them, unless there's substantial proof otherwise, I don't think any of them, and especially not Arnold, have officially name those mixed themes using those "naming schemes".

I was looking around the NMSA, and noticed that WJXT uses their old custom Gari package as well as a new package by Gari.

The things that stood out to me about the new theme is that it:

1. Uses 'The Edge' signature*
  2. Sounds like 'The Edge'
  3. The only thing different from 'The Edge' is the WJXT signature*

*In some cuts it uses both

Now, I know that Gari has put the 'NewsChannel' signature in 'The Edge,' and WJXT could very well use 'The Edge' with their signature.

My thing is that the package should probably read 'The Edge w/ WJXT Signature' and the NewsChannel cuts should be labeled 'The Edge w/ NewsChannel Signature'

Any other information?

In the original WJXT package, you can hear the bed for Gari's First News too.

Also, within Eyewitness News NG3, Gari has recycled themes from the NBC Collection NG4 (or vice versa) and Making a Difference and TiYN share similar themes.

In the original WJXT package, you can hear the bed for Gari's First News too.

Also, within Eyewitness News NG3, Gari has recycled themes from the NBC Collection NG4 (or vice versa) and Making a Difference and TiYN share similar themes.

I can understand the idea of recycling themes, if it's a matter of a commissioning station being able to save money on the cost of their "new package" or for having a theme(s) added to an existing collection.

My own personal beef would be the issue of the same bed (minus the logo differences) playing on more than one competing station in the same market. Considering that some of the packages mentioned have recycled themes, I would imagine that this has been an issue a few times before - especially in the 90's when it seemed that there was a ton of recycling going on. The producer picks a track, the CSD says "No, we can't use that, they use it/have used it across town".. Outside of a handful of obvious recycled pieces from Arnold where he decided to pull a trick from the Gari music playbook, it does appear that he has tried to rework stuff to keep duplication in the market from becoming a problem.

There are some recycled Gari pieces used in 5 to 10 packages. To me, that's overkill. How many times can that business-sounding bumper and light news open/bumper suite from "Where it All Happens" be recycled??

I would probably lose a bet on this, but I would imagine there are at least 10 theme duplicates that exist between Eyewitness News, NBC Collection and CBS Enforcer series. I still wonder how that works in a market where 2 or 3 of these packages are in use at the same time. I mean yeah the logos might be different, but still, if you're the last station to pick up one of these collections in the market, it would tick me off to go thru the CD and hear 5+ themes that are identical and already burnt in - - minus the logo differences.

Here's an example in the dropbox that took me less than 5mins to compile.. a few examples out of many more.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qaae8xleopm5u0i/LLCVKlwSfV - - look for the duplicate-examples file.

That music sounds really good. Reminds me of Newschannel a bit.

Someone really needs to stream WJXT and get a better quality version of the close so I can hear what it sounds like not pointed at somebody's TV. I usually would never say that, but damn that close sounds superb...

If P-N wants to have a standardized theme, this needs to be it. Not The One and Only (and I'm sick and tired of the cuts KSAT has used for 11 years now that sound like absolute shit, but since the same CSD has been there since 1997 I don't see that changing anytime soon unless standardization were to force it; and the new WPLG/WKMG cuts are OK, but the WJXT theme definitely blows that out of the water).

Gari has really been on point lately. Sure they're still recycling cuts, just adding new logos to them; but they've always done that, and they don't usually sound this good.

Yeah, that's very true and I do agree - that's a mighty nice and powerful close! It sounds far from a slap a new logo on it type of deal and everything really fits it.

Well, in terms of crossover signatures,

Great News/Hello combo is one of the first things that comes to mind for me. I have a small list of 5 stations using this theme (and a possible 6th) - all of whom (except for the unconfirmed one) switched to it from stock Hello.

Well, in terms of crossover signatures,

Great News/Hello combo is one of the first things that comes to mind for me. I have a small list of 5 stations using this theme (and a possible 6th) - all of whom (except for the unconfirmed one) switched to it from stock Hello.

The cut featured in the link from ChesapeakeTV was added to the original Great News Package sometime in the late 80's or early 90's soon after the collection came out. On the cut list, these particular themes were added to the top of the package, labeled as Cut A, B, C and D, which were three different lengths and featured a close in the same synth-based sound. Following that, the original cuts of the Great News Package began.

Back in the day as the original Hello News transitioned into the "We're With You on 11 Alive" / Great News logo package.... here's a little bit of info that may or may not be well known. The Great News Package was once known as "News 88" - - see the BMI page. http://repertoire.bmi.com/TitleSearch.asp?querytype=WorkName&page=1&fromrow=1&torow=25&keyname=news%2088&blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=False&blnAltTitles=False

Bob Christianson was the original composer. The package was later known as Hello News II and then finally titled The Great News Package. My assumption (a huge one) is that Gari bought out the News 88 work collection and then did the retitling to Hello News II and was satified with the TGNP title. During all of these renaming conventions, at one time, the 90's updates to Hello News were known as Hello News III and primarily featured both logos. Throughout the 90's as the Hello News II/ Great News Package was updated, it started to feature more and more tracks featuring both logos.

I'm surprised after all of the combo cuts and the ties that the packages have to each other that they haven't combined them into a super-mega Hello News collection and marketed all of the cuts and the jingle style possibilities, especially as stations celebrate anniversaries. I know some stations have relicensed their songs for anniversaries, but IMO it would have been cool to market the whole deal to stations and tap into that rich market heritage that so many enjoy.

The cut featured the link from ChesapeakeTV was added to the original Great News Package sometime in the late 80's or early 90's soon after the original collection came out. On the cut list, they were added to the top of the package being labeled as Cut A, Cut B, Cut C and Cut D, which were different lengths of that cut and featured a close in the same synth-based sound. Following that, the original cuts of the Great News Package began.

Back in the day as the original Hello News transitioned into the "We're With You on 11 Alive" / Great News logo package.... here's a little bit of info that may or may not be well known. The Great News Package was once known as "News 88" - - see the BMI page. http://repertoire.bmi.com/TitleSearch.asp?querytype=WorkName&page=1&fromrow=1&torow=25&keyname=news%2088&blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=False&blnAltTitles=False

Bob Christianson was the original composer. The package was later known as Hello News II and then finally titled The Great News Package. My assumption (a huge one) is that Gari bought out the News 88 work collection and then did the retitling to Hello News II and was satified with the TGNP title. During all of these renaming conventions, at one time, the 90's updates to Hello News were known as Hello News III and primarily featured both logos. Throughout the 90's as the Hello News II/ Great News Package was updated, it started to feature more and more tracks featuring both logos.

I'm surprised after all of the combo cuts and the ties that the packages have to each other that they haven't combined them into a super-mega Hello News collection and marketed all of the cuts and the jingle style possibilities, especially as stations celebrate anniversaries. I know some stations have relicensed their songs for anniversaries, but IMO it would have been cool to market the whole deal to stations and tap into that rich market heritage that so many enjoy.

Thank you! I'd seen all the BMI repertoire entries but didn't know what had happened. That explains a lot of stuff, particularly the combo cuts. Here's what I wrote to Jeff (TServo) two years ago:

Bob Christianson is credited partly on a Gari package called KABB News. Christianson did other stuff with Gari and on his own, including a work called "News 88" with the same publisher as all the Gari news music packages.

KSNW Great News #3 sounds like it's the Hello News II. The heavier-synth Hello News III (I think) was also used by them too: the KSNW/WTHR early 90s "Hello News" material.

P.S. You've probably heard

. (This one's lesser-known but equally good.)

Thank you! I'd seen all the BMI repertoire entries but didn't know what had happened. That explains a lot of stuff, particularly the combo cuts. Here's what I wrote to Jeff (TServo) two years ago:

KSNW Great News #3 sounds like it's the Hello News II. The heavier-synth Hello News III (I think) was also used by them too: the KSNW/WTHR early 90s "Hello News" material.

P.S. You've probably heard

. (This one's lesser-known but equally good.)

Yes sir. I checked out KSNW on the NMSA and the open featured under their Hello News entry is indeed the 90's update that was also known as Hello News III at the time.

I did not and do not want to hijack this thread and we may have to make another one sometime... the reason being, I've read somewhere before that the original We're with You on 11 Alive was originally not created by Gari. It was an ad agency and another music house that produced those upbeat jingles. If that's the case then it sounds like Gari bought the whole darn thing out (songs, news package and all). There is something about all of that out in the wastelands of the internets! Maybe if we can find it, we can post it under the discovered composer/packages thread.

EDIT: I've created a new reply under Discovered Composers & Publishers of Music Themes.

Correct me if I'm wrong..Isn't News 88 also the name of another news package by Tuesday Productions?

Yes, you are defintely correct! That could also be an additional reason why the name later changed. Going by the NMSA, Tuesday created their News 88 package in 1988. The Bob Christianson/Gari News 88 package came out in 1986. Considering how many name changes that the BC/Gari package has been through, who knows News 88 could possibly be the second titling of the collection. If not, then it looks like they were first with the titling.

Going by the NMSA, Tuesday created their News 88 package in 1988.

WLKY started using it in 1986. Not sure how KGTV is labeled as the original client if they started using it in 1988, unless they updated it (
might be part of that update)

Good catch friend.... it's odd how the NMSA has KGTV listed as the commissioning station in 1988, yet the package was used in 86 by WLKY. I overlooked that when I looked at the page, but it seems like there are more listed like that on the NMSA site where something doesn't just add up.. Perhaps KGTV really started using it in 86, not 88 as it is listed.

WLKY started using it in 1986...

Good catch friend.... it's odd how the NMSA has KGTV listed as the commissioning station in 1988, yet the package was used in 86 by WLKY. I overlooked that when I looked at the page, but it seems like there are more listed like that on the NMSA site where something doesn't just add up.. Perhaps KGTV really started using it in 86, not 88 as it is listed.

Not sure. The "1" note on the NMSA could denote an update by KGTV. I haven't heard the one in that promo anywhere else.

Here's a 1988 close from KGTV with The News Image...

Not sure. The "1" note on the NMSA could denote an update by KGTV. I haven't heard the one in that promo anywhere else.

Here's a 1988 close from KGTV with The News Image...

true, considering how much they worked with Tuesday back then, what you mentioned doesn't sound too far-fetched.

Archived