"Peirs Morgan Live" ending

tvnewsjunkie

I don't see Katie Couric getting the slot. People liked her as America's sweet heart, they did NOT like her as a news anchor. If they want the Today Show at 9pm then she is perfect, it's up to them. I personally think Katie should go back to NBC, they would be happy to have her back and she might actually do well again.

I think they should put Bill Weir at 8pm, move Anderson 360 to 9pm and add Jay Leno at 10pm. That would allow them to put their key anchor at a time that isn't dominated by Bill O'Reily and Jay would give them a valid program at 10pm. And hey, with Zucker, who knows, it could happen!

I doubt Jay Leno really wants to come back to TV. If he does, it'll either be through a reality show about his garage/cars in general or through the 9pm CNN slot. The only problem with the notion that Leno could move to CNN at 9pm is, what format will the show be? Can a comedy show with celebs and corny heartland America jokes work on cable news at 9pm?

And why would an interview show at 9pm with Leno work if interview shows with Piers and Larry King haven't worked over the past couple of years? A comedy show at 9pm works with someone like Stewart who has a satirical, intelligent take that'll end up trending, but I'm not sure Leno fits that same mold (there's a reason he doesn't have a job and Fallon does).

CNN will most likely replace the 9pm slot with a documentary series and the occasional live panel discussion when news warrants hosted by Anderson Cooper or Don Lemon. My personal suggestion would be to have someone different on with their own show and format from Monday to Wednesday with an original documentary/movie on Thursday and a repeat of that same doc/movie on Friday.

The ONLY person I would give an interview show to at 9pm is Howard Stern or Bill Clinton and I'm sure neither would be interested. The daily interview show on cable news doesn't work anymore because of how many other talk shows exist on other networks. It's hard to book compelling guests every night. The only ones who could do it would be Stern or Clinton in my opinion.

Piers Morgan Live can still work if they move it to a weekly format and book big guests every week. Piers Morgan's interviews with Charlie Sheen, Wolf of Wall Street, Oprah, Howard Stern, Rick Warren were all VERY interesting. Piers has talent but that talent can get worn down if you're stuck trying to make a great compelling interview every night. Move Piers to Thursdays at 9pm or even at 7pm with an amazing guest every week for one hour with well produced background pieces and I guarantee it'll work.

His interview show in Britain is very successful for that reason.

What's the possibility that CNN hires both Katie Couric and Leno for primetime? It's not as if "Katie" has that much left to go, either...

Katie gets the 9pm slot, with Jay taking the 10pm slot.

Of course it's not really original in any way. Which is why it's incredibly possible.

Nope. Katie is dedicated to this new Yahoo! move. She'd rather syndicate the interviews she does on Yahoo! to various TV outlets (and specifically ABC since it's Yahoo!'s partner/her old employer who let her out early) than commit to one outlet. Also, Couric and Zucker aren't on best terms after Zucker left her daytime show for CNN in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised to see Couric on CNN anytime soon, just probably not in a permanent role.

I don't see Katie Couric getting the slot. People liked her as America's sweet heart, they did NOT like her as a news anchor.

I never liked her especially when I heard she was a real female dog at Today. If Bryant Gumbel says you're a pain in the ass that says something. He would know.

I was very curious of the decision to hire him. I do like some of the moves so far like letting go of Piers Morgan. Also, Around the World at noon needed to go because most people don't want international news while they eat lunch. I know I always changed the channel at noon after watching all morning long.

From a west coast perspective, I enjoyed waking up to Around the World and hearing the latest international news at 9am.

I don't see Katie Couric getting the slot. People liked her as America's sweet heart, they did NOT like her as a news anchor. If they want the Today Show at 9pm then she is perfect, it's up to them. I personally think Katie should go back to NBC, they would be happy to have her back and she might actually do well again.

I think they should put Bill Weir at 8pm, move Anderson 360 to 9pm and add Jay Leno at 10pm. That would allow them to put their key anchor at a time that isn't dominated by Bill O'Reily and Jay would give them a valid program at 10pm. And hey, with Zucker, who knows, it could happen!

I actually like the idea of Bill Weir in primetime. But I think I would prefer him in the 10pm slot with a Nightline-type program, perhaps use the name "Lateline".

My ideal line-up:

5am-7am: Early Start w/ John Berman & Christine Romans

7am-10am: New Day w/ Chris Cuomo & Kate Bolduon, Michaela Pereira, Indra Petersons

10am-11am: Financial View w/ Christine Romans

11am-12noon: @ThisHour w/ John Berman & Michaela Pereira

12noon-1pm: Legal View w/ Ashleigh Banfield

1pm-2pm: Global View w/ Christiane Amanpour

2pm-3pm: CNN Newsroom w/ Carol Costello

3pm-4pm: OutFront w/ Erin Burnett

4pm-5pm: The Spin w/ Brooke Baldwin (similar to the The Cycle & The Five)

5pm-6pm: The Lead w/ Jake Tapper

6pm-7pm: The Situation Room w/ Wolf Blitzer

7pm-7:30pm: CNN Tonight w/ Don Lemon

7:30pm-8pm: Crossfire w/ Newt Gingrich, S. E. Cupp, Stephanie Cutter, and Van Jones

8pm-9pm: AC 360 w/ Anderson Cooper

9pm-10pm: Larry King Live

10pm-11pm: Lateline w/ Bill Weir

What CNN **should** do is just scrap all evening programming in favor of rolling news coverage from 7p-10p, 11p-1a, and 2a-4a. Then an hour of docs at 10p (and 1a). Then just rebuild the lineup over the next year or so.

Any other attempt to fix CNN's lineup is simply putting on a BandAid when a tourniquet would do. The mere fact that we are even suggesting Jay Leno, even in jest, says a lot about the sorry state CNN is in.

What CNN **should** do is just scrap all evening programming in favor of rolling news coverage from 7p-10p, 11p-1a, and 2a-4a. Then an hour of docs at 10p (and 1a). Then just rebuild the lineup over the next year or so.

Any other attempt to fix CNN's lineup is simply putting on a BandAid when a tourniquet would do. The mere fact that we are even suggesting Jay Leno, even in jest, says a lot about the sorry state CNN is in.

I very much agree, but guess what audiences are going to watch?! Leno. And as you know audiences make money.

I very much agree, but guess what audiences are going to watch?! Leno. And as you know audiences make money.

BUT... he would be poorly served by Anderson Cooper as a lead-in. If nothing else changes on CNN's lineup, the ratings for a theoretical Leno show at 9pm would make "The Jay Leno Show" look like the Super Bowl in comparison.

• 3 weeks later...

After watching CNN the past few weeks, I definitely think Don Lemon has proven his worth and deserves to be on weeknights. I'd go with AC360 at 8pm, NewsNight w/ Don Lemon at 9pm, and Lateline w/ Bill Weir at 10pm.

That's a really good line-up, and I really think Don is worthy enough for primetime; but (just putting this out there)

from what I've read from comments on the cable-news websites, some people don't like Lemon for his tendencies to talk racial issues and that he's less than qualified for anything CNN gives him; and that he's "lost credibility" from the "toy plane" incident, in which he uses a toy plane as a demonstration for the inside of the Malaysia Airliner.

I thought it was questionable, but not losing credibility.

Anyway, I think Don's perfect for a show and so is Bill Weir.

Or they should be doing the model that Weather Channel has settled into post-DirecTV - rolling news coverage all day until 8, then do stuff like documentaries, Jay, etc.

As to why Jeff Zucker was hired? Well, he was doing well up until he was put in charge of entertainment, then in charge of everything. He was a good news boss and probably still is a good news boss. The fact that he was a colossal failure at NBC Universal/General Electric doesn't mean too much in that regard.

And let's be honest. CNN needs to be overhauled radically. It can't be "the middle option" to MSNBC and FNC. If that means expanding the definition of "news" like TWC expanded the definition of "Weather", then... well...

After watching CNN the past few weeks, I definitely think Don Lemon has proven his worth and deserves to be on weeknights. I'd go with AC360 at 8pm, NewsNight w/ Don Lemon at 9pm, and Lateline w/ Bill Weir at 10pm.

He lost me with that "black hole" question, though.

Yeah, while I support more strict gun control, those last few minutes are utterly disgraceful. It is really a middle finger to the entire audience.

Hey Piers - fuck you too. And don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. Actually, I hope it does.

Archived