How many people use twitter/facebook for updates from your local news station?

tlproductions

I am curious to know how many users use Facebook/Twitter or any other social media for updates from their local news provider?

Do you use your phone or computer?

Do you use social media for updates more than television or the stations webpage?

Just Curious,

-Travis

I use Twitter to get news from my local news stations (both from their official accounts and their reporters), as well as national news from outlets like CBS, NBC, ABC, NPR, and the BBC. I use my computer to receive them, and I would say I use news Tweets to get my news more than TV/news sites.

I do not use Facebook anymore, but, when I did, I got news updates from the Facebook pages of my stations.

I don't use twitter to get updates from my local news station.

I use twitter to get my news, period.

That means I have an ungodly number of people I'm following, most of which are related to local newscasts, from here or elsewhere. When sources say "follow @whatshisname for the best coverage of #breakingnewsevent", I'll do so. I got word of the Boston bombings through twitter and smartphone alerts, which were minutes before any network (like NBC) came on the air to report it.

I highly recommend that if you use twitter, to subscribe to @Jim_Gardner. Really - his tweets are interesting, informative, often funny, and are genuine. There's no "Coming up tonight on #6ABC #ActionNews" or anything like that. It's just a unique viewpoint in 140 characters or less.

And I use Twitter on either a phone or tablet. That's what it's really made for, anyway. Just pull out the phone, open the Twitter app, and see what's going on.

As for facebook.......... I view it as a necessary evil at best. It makes your things too public, and there's so many things to manage that you don't know who's seeing what you post. I use it, but that's because of a cinema group that I'm in (I sneak some pictures of cinemas when I go - which is a lot).

I highly recommend that if you use twitter, to subscribe to @Jim_Gardner. Really - his tweets are interesting, informative, often funny, and are genuine. There's no "Coming up tonight on #6ABC #ActionNews" or anything like that. It's just a unique viewpoint in 140 characters or less.

I second this. Jim is one person you'd love to see on your timeline. The news straight from him is important to watch 6, and when he makes other tweets outside of the news, they're either humorous, insightful or heartwarming.

One of the humorous actually involved me. I once asked Jim, because I thought that since he's so busy with Action News, if he has someone writing his tweets for him (either coming straight from him or from the person who writes them). He replied something like "Nobody writes these tweets! What you see comes from me."

So please follow Jim. He's fantastic; you won't regret it.

• 1 month later...

Archived