Scripps to launch national/local 4PM live program this fall

Glimmer

KSHB has hired Justin Wilfon from KJRH to anchor the Now KC for them. It's unknown whether or not Lindsey Shively will continue on the show or not. She had been their weekend morning anchor for a bit, but ever since she left, it's been a roundtable of sorts for who anchors the weekend mornings.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WXYZ has a new promo with the local talent for The Now Detroit:

Also since current Sports Reporter Brad Galli is moving to The Now Detroit, WXYZ had to hire a new Sports MMJ. Justin Rose is coming from Hearst-owned WTAE in Pittsburgh. He starts after labor day. In addition, Galli will continue to host the 30 minute college football focused 7 Sports Cave, Sundays at 1030am.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the old bump, but I thought it would be interesting to share that yesterday The NOW on KSHB only rated a 0.8. Apparently, a Mary Povich show rated better than The NOW then. Essentially, KSHB came in FIFTH at 4pm.

Until then, the lowest I had ever seen it was 1.2. Before The NOW debuted, KSHB would rate as high as 3.0 at 4pm. In only about four or five months, they've gone from 3's to sub-1.0 ratings.

The show has wrecked them. Does anyone else know how it's beem fairing in the other markets?

Sorry for the old bump, but I thought it would be interesting to share that yesterday The NOW on KSHB only rated a 0.8. Apparently, a Mary Povich show rated better than The NOW then. Essentially, KSHB came in FIFTH at 4pm.

Until then, the lowest I had ever seen it was 1.2. Before The NOW debuted, KSHB would rate as high as 3.0 at 4pm. In only about four or five months, they've gone from 3's to sub-1.0 ratings.

The show has wrecked them. Does anyone else know how it's been fairing in the other markets?

Are you quoting overalls of 1's and .8? Or demos? Has KSHB had it's later newscasts hurt as well as the dismal 4pm showing?

Here's my first real taste of how "The Now Detroit" is rating:

This is the evening race in Detroit in October courtesy of WDIV putting out a random press release with the ratings, I am putting November 2013 in parenthesis for lack of some better comparison since WDIV didn't release October 2013, November is pretty close but not perfect since I think viewership may be a little higher that month than October:

4pm:

WDIV News 6.2 / 15 SHR (6.8 / 17 SHR)

WJBK Judge Judy 3.7 / 9 SHR (4.0 / 10 SHR)

WXYZ The Now Detroit 2.7 / 6 SHR (3.1 / 8 SHR)

5pm:

WDIV News 7.1 / 15 SHR (7.5 / 16 SHR)

WXYZ News 5.9 / 12 SHR (6.1 / 13 SHR)

WJBK News 5.1 / 11 SHR (6.0 / 13 SHR)

6pm:

WDIV News 8.3 / 16 SHR (8.7 / 17 SHR)

WXYZ News 7.2 / 14 SHR (7.3 / 14 SHR)

WJBK News 4.6 / 9 SHR (5.6 / 11 SHR)

10pm:

WJBK News 6.4 / 10 SHR (8.0 / 13 SHR) Since FOX has the World Series in October and the MLB playoffs before that, these October numbers could very well be tainted because people skipped them due to no news many nights.

No WMYD News Numbers

11pm

WDIV News 8.3 / 15 SHR (8.7 / 17 SHR)

WXYZ News 6.9 / 12 SHR (7.6 / 15 SHR)

WJBK News 5.0 / 9 SHR (5.1 / 10 SHR)

When WXYZ had Oz on in May it was also getting a 2.7 / 6 SHR at 4pm. The February book said 2.9 / 7 SHR for him at 4pm on WXYZ. I guess WXYZ has a more patient audience the KSHB or they are doing the show better. It's basically a 4pm straight newscast for tech savvy viewers with a newsroom base and more fluff because it's an hour long. They are also promoting the heck out of it on all of their other newscasts, online, on radio etc.

Are you quoting overalls of 1's and .8? Or demos? Has KSHB had it's later newscasts hurt as well as the dismal 4pm showing?

When WXYZ had Oz on in May it was also getting a 2.7 / 6 SHR at 4pm. The February book said 2.9 / 7 SHR for him at 4pm on WXYZ. I guess WXYZ has a more patient audience the KSHB or they are doing the show better. It's basically a 4pm straight newscast for tech savvy viewers with a newsroom base and more fluff because it's an hour long. They are also promoting the heck out of it on all of their other newscasts, online, on radio etc.

Fairly certain it's the overalls, so overall it registered only a .8 yesterday. And yes, all of KSHB's newscasts after that have suffered as well. They went from first at 5 and 6pm to last (again). Their 10pm is still in the basement, but then again, it always has been. Here are the #'s from yesterday. As you can see, KMBC, KCTV and WDAF nearly quadrupled what KSHB had 4pm.:

6am

KMBC 5.2

WDAF 4.9

KCTV 3.1

KSHB 2.0

4pm

KMBC ELLEN 4.6

KCTV NEWS 4.5

WDAF JUDGE JUDY 4.3

KSHB NOW KC 0.8

5pm

KCTV 6.0

WDAF 5.9

KMBC 5.7

KSHB 3.8

6pm

WDAF 7.4

KCTV 7.3

KMBC 6.8

KSHB 4.0

10pm

KMBC 7.1

KCTV 4.8

KSHB 4.8

WDAF 4.0

Soon after the NOW made it's debut, KCTV's numbers at 4pm nearly doubled. Some days, they did double. About the promotion, I rarely see any, so that also may not help, but Imma go all conspiracy and claim that they purposely aren't promoting it very much because they purposely want it to ruin them to the point that Scripps allows them to rid of it (silly, I know).

Granted, this was only day, but it's still the trend since it's debut. Maybe WXYZ runs the show better than KSHB does or maybe viewers here simply hate the premise. I know that such light, fluffy, social media-driven classes have failed in this market before.

Maury Povich on KAZT was competitive with The Now on KNXV. KTVK is the clear winner at that half-hour in terms of newscasts but it competes with Inside Edition and Judge Judy. It's faring about as well here as in Kansas City.

Looking at those ratings, the Phoenix market is a real jumble. Each station led for at least half an hour of news.

Fairly certain it's the overalls, so overall it registered only a .8 yesterday. And yes, all of KSHB's newscasts after that have suffered as well. They went from first at 5 and 6pm to last (again). Their 10pm is still in the basement, but then again, it always has been. Here are the #'s from yesterday. As you can see, KMBC, KCTV and WDAF nearly quadrupled what KSHB had 4pm.:

6am

KMBC 5.2

WDAF 4.9

KCTV 3.1

KSHB 2.0

4pm

KMBC ELLEN 4.6

KCTV NEWS 4.5

WDAF JUDGE JUDY 4.3

KSHB NOW KC 0.8

5pm

KCTV 6.0

WDAF 5.9

KMBC 5.7

KSHB 3.8

6pm

WDAF 7.4

KCTV 7.3

KMBC 6.8

KSHB 4.0

10pm

KMBC 7.1

KCTV 4.8

KSHB 4.8

WDAF 4.0

Soon after the NOW made it's debut, KCTV's numbers at 4pm nearly doubled. Some days, they did double. About the promotion, I rarely see any, so that also may not help, but Imma go all conspiracy and claim that they purposely aren't promoting it very much because they purposely want it to ruin them to the point that Scripps allows them to rid of it (silly, I know).

Granted, this was only day, but it's still the trend since it's debut. Maybe WXYZ runs the show better than KSHB does or maybe viewers here simply hate the premise. I know that such light, fluffy, social media-driven classes have failed in this market before.

Ouch... didn't KSHB make some big big strides in the 6pm ratings before this thing premiered? I realize they were in first but I thought that had only happened recently, maybe right before The Now came along?

Here's a couple of the WXYZ promos to give you an idea of how it's being handled here:

Archived