Scripps to launch national/local 4PM live program this fall

Glimmer

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what you should expect to see more of - exclusive programming on the Scripps Network, as well as on the Gannett Network and the Sinclair Broadcasting System.

Bit of a throwback to the days of old when Group W was more or less its own network. KYW never really felt like an NBC affiliate, it felt more like a Group W O&O that aired some NBC programming.

So it's essentially a national newscast that's live for that specific station at 4pm in their timezone? It sounds interesting, but I don't know how it would go over. The sentence fragment of "a live, news-oriented program that will have nationally focused content and some local content," catches my attention, because it seems as if it would focus less on local news and more on national news which may not be what viewers want to see. "Some local content," to me, implies very little.

Plus, isn't this essentially ridding KSHB and KNXV of their 4pm newscasts?

I don't know what to make of this. I sense failure.

It seems similar in concept to NBC's Daily Rundown show...a national newscast prepared at 30 Rock, but with local anchors and a little bit of local content sprinkled in. And we all know how much fun that show was to watch...

I don't know...I really like the Philly version produced by WCAU; then I got sad when it suddenly ended. It was really good to watch based on the banter by Bill Henley and Lu Ann Cahn alone.

I think you're referring to The 10! Show...

And no, this doesn't sound like NewsCentral. It sounds like they're reviving Evening Magazine, with the local/national component. NewsCentral was "produce all the stuff you can in Maryland and as little as possible in the home market".

I don't know...I really like the Philly version produced by WCAU; then I got sad when it suddenly ended. It was really good to watch based on the banter by Bill Henley and Lu Ann Cahn alone.

If you're talking about Daily Rundown, then the one that they test launched on KUSA/KTVD was horrible...the most random pieces of content from random NBC Universal properties with random KUSA talent trying to string them together with awkward banter...I was so glad when I checked back a few months later and saw that they replaced it with real news. Hopefully Scripps puts some effort into this.

If you're talking about Daily Rundown, then the one that they test launched on KUSA/KTVD was horrible...the most random pieces of content from random NBC Universal properties with random KUSA talent trying to string them together with awkward banter...I was so glad when I checked back a few months later and saw that they replaced it with real news. Hopefully Scripps puts some effort into this.

The show was the Daily Connection that according to Wikipedia which is always reliable premiered in September 2009 on WRC then went national in October 2010. This Scripps incarnation sounds just as bad.

Yes, I do mean that. It's my city's version I talked about

I think that Scripps will put some effort into this new program. It's a lot cheaper doing this than starting up a 4pm newscast in the markets that this show will air. That being said, I wonder if they will mix in local news within the show, or if they'll give a few minutes for each station to do a local news update like GMA/Today/CTM.

I think you're referring to The 10! Show...

And no, this doesn't sound like NewsCentral. It sounds like they're reviving Evening Magazine, with the local/national component. NewsCentral was "produce all the stuff you can in Maryland and as little as possible in the home market".

"Evening/PM Magazine" was a light lifestyle-based program, just like "The List." The Scripps one-hour show sounds like a hard news-based show. I'm sure they'll try to fit some lighter subjects in the second half-hour (kind of like KNXV's "Smart Shopper" segments), but the lighter stuff is why they have "The List."

The article stated Scripps hasn't decided on a format yet. This is the most basic draft I could invent in my head.

A. National open (whatever the show might be called)

Scripps welcome

Scripps generic toss to local stations for top local stories

Local insert - three to five minutes

Generic toss back to Scripps

Scripps with a few national stories

**Timing is important - stations can't go heavy or light without making a generic toss look awkward. Let's say the open rolls at 4:00:00 and Scripps makes the toss at 4:00:50. Local segment begins at 4:01:00. Local anchors wrap up and Scripps anchors begin talking at 4:05:00-- without exception. This is just an example, of course. It's like tossing to a generic CNN Newsource live shot. The reporter will begin talking at 30 seconds past the hour no matter what.

B. Scripps national segment

C. Local weather + local news

D. Scripps national segment

Repeat for the second half hour

"Evening/PM Magazine" was a light lifestyle-based program, just like "The List." The Scripps one-hour show sounds like a hard news-based show. I'm sure they'll try to fit some lighter subjects in the second half-hour (kind of like KNXV's "Smart Shopper" segments), but the lighter stuff is why they have "The List."

This sounds like a localized version of "Day & Date", a Group W-produced early access news/features show which spent 1 1/2 seasons on the air in the mid-90s. It's a cross between Day & Date and the 70s BBC "Nationwide" which had 20-minute local news inserts.

This sounds like a localized version of "Day & Date", a Group W-produced early access news/features show which spent 1 1/2 seasons on the air in the mid-90s. It's a cross between Day & Date and the 70s BBC "Nationwide" which had 20-minute local news inserts.

If I recall correctly, KNXV was one of the stations that carried "Day & Date" in 1995-96.

Ahh, I was wondering what the show was that's plugged at the beginning of this clip:

It got canceled the first week of 1997 due to bad ratings. The fact that, by the end of its run, Group W's productions unit was known as Eyemark was probably another contributor.

If I recall correctly, KNXV was one of the stations that carried "Day & Date" in 1995-96.

WOIO was one of their stations as well...I think it was picked up in fall of 1996, about two years after they became a CBS affiliate and was still owned by Malrite. They only did 6 and 11pm news until the winter of 1996 when they launched morning and noon shows. They would pick up the second season of "Judge Judy" the following fall, and air it until 2000, when it went to WJW.

As for WEWS....all they have left syndication-wise is "Live with Kelly & Michael" and "Dr. Oz". Katie airs at 3pm and "RightThisMinute" airs at 4pm for an hour. "RTM" could be pushed back to 3 for this new endeavor. Their game shows air at 7 and 7:30.

If Scripps is so hell-bent on launching their own programming and dumping syndies, I could see WEWS (and possibly other Scripps stations) relaunching "The Morning Exchange" in some form. It was a longtime morning talk show that lasted from 1972 to 1999, and was the inspiration for ABC to launch GMA in 1975. WEWS would not air both hours of GMA until 1994 (because TMX would air from 8 to 10am, and both hours were available on then-ABC station WAKC in Akron) The program was affected by their move to 9am in 1994, resulting in a drastic format change in 1998 that cut the show to an hour and changed the longtime hosts in its last season. It was only after this that WEWS cleared "The View" in 1999. Other 11am ABC shows were either available on WAKC until their sale in 1996 or pushed to late-night airings on WEWS.

WOIO was one of their stations as well...I think it was picked up in fall of 1996, about two years after they became a CBS affiliate and was still owned by Malrite. They only did 6 and 11pm news until the winter of 1996 when they launched morning and noon shows. They would pick up the second season of "Judge Judy" the following fall, and air it until 2000, when it went to WJW.

Correct, although I thought "Day & Date" aired a year earlier, in 1995. Most of WOIO's lineup was a total mess by then.

And "Judge Judy" left when Fox Television Stations signed a group wide deal for her show. It's been WJW's signature daytime program since then.

As for WEWS....all they have left syndication-wise is "Live with Kelly & Michael" and "Dr. Oz". Katie airs at 3pm and "RightThisMinute" airs at 4pm for an hour. "RTM" could be pushed back to 3 for this new endeavor. Their game shows air at 7 and 7:30.

If Scripps is so hell-bent on launching their own programming and dumping syndies, I could see WEWS (and possibly other Scripps stations) relaunching "The Morning Exchange" in some form. It was a longtime morning talk show that lasted from 1972 to 1999, and was the inspiration for ABC to launch GMA in 1975. WEWS would not air both hours of GMA until 1994 (because TMX would air from 8 to 10am, and both hours were available on then-ABC station WAKC in Akron) The program was affected by their move to 9am in 1994, resulting in a drastic format change in 1998 that cut the show to an hour and changed the longtime hosts in its last season. It was only after this that WEWS cleared "The View" in 1999. Other 11am ABC shows were either available on WAKC until their sale in 1996 or pushed to late-night airings on WEWS.

Not only was MX the inspiration for GMA... ABC literally copied the set design for MX at their New York studios, lifted the MX clockwheel verbatim, and offered the hosting role to Fred Griffith (he turned it down). MX only moved to the 9a-11a slot as a consequence of Scripps' group wide affiliation deal with ABC, which required WEWS to clear ALL of GMA for the first time.

The only syndicated show I find hard for Scripps to part with is "Live!," in part because it is so closely tied to ABC. ("Live!" is the only direct descendant of the daytime chat shows that ABC O&Os offered in the early 80s that is still in existence; WXYZ's "Kelly & Company" had a good, long run into the late 90s, and Oprah's show was a spinoff/continuation of "AMChicago.")

Ironically, if Scripps wants to try a local daytime chat hour on their stations, WKBW still has "AMBuffalo" in production. Although "AMBuffalo," like the rest of the station, badly needs a revamp... if a retooling of that show is successful, why not parlay that onto their other Scripps outlets?

It got canceled the first week of 1997 due to bad ratings. The fact that, by the end of its run, Group W's productions unit was known as Eyemark was probably another contributor.

Not so sure. Westinghouse was CBS by that point, and it was phasing out the "Group W" brand identity. "Eyemark" replaced the Group W names on several of the combined entities' subsidiaries. While "Eyemark Entertainment" was a new entity created out of a three-way merger (CBS, Group W, and startup Maxam Entertainment), it basically was Group W Productions.

No, I know what he's talking about and it's not the Daily Rundown. They made a version of it but it was really sloppy and didn't last long. (The most interesting Nonstop things were made by the promo department.)

It's the 10! Show, and by the end of its run it was hosted by Bill Henley and Lu Ann Cahn. It was basically local morning talk ala Live With Regis and Kelly, had paid segments, and towards the end, a studio audience. 10! Show aired at 11am, then was cut down to a half-hour at 11:30 so they could do an 11am news, then eliminated altogether because the new GM and ND wanted the station focused on news.

Not so sure. Westinghouse was CBS by that point, and it was phasing out the "Group W" brand identity. "Eyemark" replaced the Group W names on several of the combined entities' subsidiaries. While "Eyemark Entertainment" was a new entity created out of a three-way merger (CBS, Group W, and startup Maxam Entertainment), it basically was Group W Productions.

No, I know what he's talking about and it's not the Daily Rundown. They made a version of it but it was really sloppy and didn't last long. (The most interesting Nonstop things were made by the promo department.)

It's the 10! Show, and by the end of its run it was hosted by Bill Henley and Lu Ann Cahn. It was basically local morning talk ala Live With Regis and Kelly, had paid segments, and towards the end, a studio audience. 10! Show aired at 11am, then was cut down to a half-hour at 11:30 so they could do an 11am news, then eliminated altogether because the new GM and ND wanted the station focused on news.

Daily Connection? There was a show out of WRC with that name...

• 2 months later...

I hate bumping old threads. But, the discussion going on in the couple active Scripps threads made me realize there hasn't been much new provided here.

First, It looks like Scripps is spreading the "Hub" love around. As KMGH in Denver will house the new National News Desk. And, in turn the new Scripps 4pm National Newscast will be based there. They are still looking for National Co-Hosts.

Second, The newscast is being described in their job postings as an "This innovative news program, targeted at our 4pm audience, is a high-energy, up to the minute, interactive news experience. Through the power of social media and new technology, the audience weighs in and is involved in the show, real-time." So, take that for what it's worth.

Finally, It appears not all Scripps stations will be getting this "4pm National Newscast." The initial rollout currently looks limited to 8 stations: WCPO, WEWS, WPTV, WFTS, WXYZ, KSHB, KMGH & KNXV. It's a little weird they completely omit the Pacific Time Zone. The two national Supervising Producers are divided by time zones, one for ET the other for CT/MT. Not knowing the KMGH facilities I'm unsure if they have multiple studios and/or multiple control rooms. So, my first thought was that since they want to air this live at 4pm local in all time zones that KMGH's newscast at 5pm must interfere with producing a PT version. But, then I can't rectify KNXV being an hour behind Denver 3/4 of the year due to Arizona's non-DST observance. So, IDK maybe KMGH moves their 5pm newscast to 6pm (with "The List" airing at 5pm) in order to clear a live PT version? Or, KNXV will air the "4pm national newscast" at 3pm locally? Although, If KMGH has (or, will have) multiple studios and/or multiple control rooms then it's really a moot point.

It appears as though this is going to be some sort of hybrid national/local newscast ultimately under the control of the National Executive Producer. Scripps is also hiring for Senior Local Producers for this "4pm National Newscast" at each of the stations the and from the job posting(s) seem to have the task of acting as a bridge of sorts. They get to coordinate the local teams efforts with the national producers. It's a different concept. And, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

And, just for completeness it looks like "The List" will be expanding to WXYZ/ Detroit, WRTV/ Indianapolis & KMGH/ Denver. As they are looking for Photographer/MMJ's, Reporter/MMJ's and Supervisor/Bureau Producers for those markets.

Archived