KOKH gets new set, finally

T.L. Hughes

It looks like KOKH-TV in Oklahoma City is getting a new set. Devlin Design Group, who has been building sets for Sinclair's stations the past couple of years is building it.

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2014/02/19/oklahoma-city-fox-affiliate-begins-set-installation/

I'm not sure if this is a revamp of its Studio B set or if all of its newscasts (morning, 9 and 10 p.m.) are going to be based out of the new set. Keep in mind that KOKH's newsplex set (which strongly resembles that used by KETV in Omaha, ironically co-owned by competitor KOCO-TV's owner Hearst, and a similar set used by KSTU, a sister station of another KOKH competitor KFOR through Tribune, some time ago) has been used since the news department began in 1996. The only changes to it have been the "Fox 25" logo that is placed above the video monitor wall.

I wasn't sure if KOKH's Wilshire Boulevard studio facilities had room for a full news set, since it is comparatively smaller than the studios of Oklahoma City's other English language news-producing stations that surround it (especially KWTV, whose studios are a stone's throw away from KOKH's facility, literally right across the street to the west).

Would I be too optimistic if I expected new graphics? I mean, Sinclair could pull a Nexstar and suddenly start revamping stations' graphics.

Again, too optimistic.

This is Sinclair we're talking about here.

Seriously though, how old is Sinclair's current package? I know it was made for stations converting to HD but can't remember how far back it was when it initially got introduced.

Seriously though, how old is Sinclair's current package? I know it was made for stations converting to HD but can't remember how far back it was when it initially got introduced.

The original version of the package debuted sometime in 2006, after News Central folded. I believe KOKH got it in winter '06/07.

The original version of the package debuted sometime in 2006, after News Central folded. I believe KOKH got it in winter '06/07.

My next question is this: what's going to happen with the working newsroom set that was established in1996? Is it going to be retained as a backup set or is it being used?

My next question is this: what's going to happen with the working newsroom set that was established in1996? Is it going to be retained as a backup set or is it being used?

It is used for standups not done in the field. I think it will probably still be used. That being said, the working newsroom set wasn't really put to good use; the whole concept of such a set is being able to see employees in the news department working in the background. KFOR's former working newsroom set (which was closed off with a wall separating the newsroom and news studio c. 2007, leading to a few instances where employees have
during a live broadcast) was a perfect illustration of how it should be used. In the case of KOKH, you could only see a couple of people working or walking behind the news desk (I'm not sure whether this is due to the fact that the newscasts air in timeslots that aren't too far deep into regular business hours or not, KOKH doesn't have any newscasts between 10 a.m. and 9 p.m. on weekdays or anytime other than 9-10 p.m. on weekends -- not counting Sports Sunday).

It's basically a ten year old graphic package that was originally designed for News Central in 2003. Then they updated it circa 2006 (but most elements looked similar to the old package). Then they switched from the pack's original supers to the gray/black ones in 2007. And finally in 2011, they introduced the current package on KABB. WZTV got it a month later, WGME two after that. Then the rest started to get upgraded. Plans for a full rollout were put on hold after they started their shopping spree.

WBFF

than the rest (not surprisingly).

Four letters.

Funny enough, the ticker in that WCHS clip is the same one that KOKH uses. However, it's only seen on the morning newscast as well as whenever there are school/business/church closings during winter weather events. Since KOKH does not appear to have HD field cameras yet, the application of the ticker makes the stretching of the video during field reports more apparent.

Four letters.

Can we just get this out of our heads that this package even approaches attractive? It looks too industrial! I first thought that the older Media General turret package was bad( Which now looks actually somewhat clever), but this look like a commercial building contractor designed it.

Compare this package to the Gannett package and Gannett wins for it's layout.

Can we just get this out of our heads that this package even approaches attractive? It looks too industrial! I first thought that the older Media General turret package was bad( Which now looks actually somewhat clever), but this look like a commercial building contractor designed it.

Compare this package to the Gannett package and Gannett wins for it's layout.

I thought it looked old when WBFF debuted it in 2008 when they went HD. The silver and black always looked to flat to me.

Also WBFF uses a completely different ticker than the ones mentioned here.

Devlin Design Group confirmed yesterday (February 21) on their blog that KOKH's news set is already finished (DDG didn't report on the set construction until well into the installation). Blocking and lighting sessions are being conducted through next week. Also, it is a full set, since a news desk and weather center are part of it.

It will be a while though before it is unveiled, Devlin states that the new set will go live in April.

Devlin Design Group confirmed yesterday (February 21) on their blog that KOKH's news set is already finished (DDG didn't report on the set construction until well into the installation). Blocking and lighting sessions are being conducted through next week. Also, it is a full set, since a news desk and weather center are part of it.

It will be a while though before it is unveiled, Devlin states that the new set will go live in April.

Pretty Mediocre.

Looks mediocre and somewhat unprepared for service.

• 1 month later...

Surprised that it hasn't been updated, but KOKH is now broadcasting from the new set as of Sunday. The monitor behind the anchor desk doesn't seem very wide as a lot of the ones featured on today's news sets, although the monitor on KWTV's set is of similar width.

The station has also refreshed its graphics, debuting new opens for specific segments consisting of a rotating blue and red bar with a DIN-style font (simple, but not necessarily well-executed). The lower thirds and news ticker (the latter of which is only seen on the morning newscast) are now animated: each element of the lower thirds shift left-to-right on-screen, the ticker (similar to that used by WCHS) had been displayed throughout commercial breaks and weather segments since it debuted last year but now is removed during those times.

The station has also refreshed its graphics, debuting new opens for specific segments consisting of a rotating blue and red bar with a DIN-style font (simple, but not necessarily well-executed). The lower thirds and news ticker (the latter of which is only seen on the morning newscast) are now animated: each element of the lower thirds shift left-to-right on-screen, the ticker (similar to that used by WCHS) had been displayed throughout commercial breaks and weather segments since it debuted last year but now is removed during those times.

Sounds almost like KABB. Does a loud (and somewhat long) "swoosh" sound accompany the new segment opens?

Archived