Tonight Show Staring Jimmy Fallon Debuts

BehindNYNews

Not News related but Network related....

The debut is airing now. The set is fantastic and they had U2 play at the top of Rock Center during sunset, what an amazing view. Fallon is doing great.

pic.twitter.com/Hq60n9nUkV

pic.twitter.com/BfupNyT7Op

Not worried for Kimmel but for Letterman… good luck. His demo viewers must have just flocked to the Jimmy's.

See, I think it's the opposite. Letterman will be fine. He'll be number one until he calls it quits. NBC just needs to stick with it, and IT WILL pay off. And yeah, that set is great. The old radio studio elements are genius, and are a great nod to the history of the building.

A few minutes of his show are still on the DVR cache... and while I never got Fallon on late night, I'm starting to think he'll do good at 11:35. He might at least adjust to the show better than Conan did. (My humor is more Conan/CraiggyFerg.)

One thing that continues to bug the shit out of me, though - didn't they force Conan to go to LA? Because Fallon gets to bring The Tonight Show back to NYC, and Conan kept it in LA....

A few minutes of his show are still on the DVR cache... and while I never got Fallon on late night, I'm starting to think he'll do good at 11:35. He might at least adjust to the show better than Conan did. (My humor is more Conan/CraiggyFerg.)

One thing that continues to bug the shit out of me, though - didn't they force Conan to go to LA? Because Fallon gets to bring The Tonight Show back to NYC, and Conan kept it in LA....

1. When Conan threatened to leave, NBC's "gift" likely came with one BIG stipulation, thus forcing his move.
  2. I think Lorne Michaels is going to be more hands-on with Fallon than he was with Conan, which definitely would dictate the move of the show.
  3. Maybe NBC ACTUALLY (for once) learned a lesson? LA and NY audiences are two different animals, and while Conan has since adjusted, he was still a fresh transplant when he took over 'Tonight'. Jimmy wouldn't do well in LA.

At any rate, I wish Fallon the best. It's clear he respects the franchise, and like you said, has a better chance of adjusting to the time slot...without completely changing his act. Frankly, I really never thought Conan was well-suited for 10:35, and would've rather seen him leave NBC altogether a decade ago, but that's for another day. Also, I think this is all good evidence as to why Ferguson is more than satisfied with where he is now, cause God knows he would not do well succeeding Dave (even though I do like his show).

Tax breaks among other things. I'm sure that New York is giving NBC some nice tax breaks to have The Tonight Show there, and of course the nostalgia/history of the show first starting off there.

Tax breaks among other things. I'm sure that New York is giving NBC some nice tax breaks to have The Tonight Show there, and of course the nostalgia/history of the show first starting off there.

Indeed, the State of New York gave NBC over $20M in tax breaks and incentives if "Tonight" was moved back to NYC.

Plus it finally frees up NBC from having to be in Burbank. Remember that they sold off the Burbank lot and intended to leave totally once Conan took over "Tonight," but that was before "The Jay Leno Show" was conceived.

The old radio studio elements are genius, and are a great nod to the history of the building.

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

Conan probably moved to Hollywood just to keep the status quo. I think Jimmy is more in-tune with the history of the show, and the set's nods to the studio's radio history is evidence of that.

•  
  • When Conan threatened to leave, NBC's "gift" likely came with one BIG stipulation, thus forcing his move.
  • I think Lorne Michaels is going to be more hands-on with Fallon than he was with Conan, which definitely would dictate the move of the show.
  • Maybe NBC ACTUALLY (for once) learned a lesson? LA and NY audiences are two different animals, and while Conan has since adjusted, he was still a fresh transplant when he took over 'Tonight'. Jimmy wouldn't do well in LA.

At any rate, I wish Fallon the best. It's clear he respects the franchise, and like you said, has a better chance of adjusting to the time slot...without completely changing his act. Frankly, I really never thought Conan was well-suited for 10:35, and would've rather seen him leave NBC altogether a decade ago, but that's for another day. Also, I think this is all good evidence as to why Ferguson is more than satisfied with where he is now, cause God knows he would not do well succeeding Dave (even though I do like his show).

Yeah - in retrospect, Conan really should have gone to Fox when he had the opportunity. You raise a great point in that The Tonight Show goes on at 10:35 in the middle of the country - and that's part of prime time. That's the reason SNL opens with a host monologue, according to the book Live From New York. Conan had trouble toning down his act - and let's remember that his Tonight Show only got really good in those final few weeks. Fallon's stuff, from what I've seen, translates better to The Tonight Show.

And you're right on NYC and LA audiences being so different. A good example is The Pyramid. The original run taped in New York City; the 1982 version that I think we're all more familiar with was from CBS Television City in Hollywood. Both were great shows - The Pyramid in general is, in my opinion, the second best game show concept of all time. But I don't think you could have seen things like

or

Oh, and I also think CraiggyFerg is just fine at 12:35. He's the anti-late night show. His monologues - which are great - are really stream-of-consciousness. And he can do amazing, non-humorous monologues on certain subjects. When Britney Spears had her episodes, Craig delivered a beautiful speech that stated what should have been obvious to all - this woman needed help - while delving into his history with alcoholism, even to the point of near-suicide. And how he'd battled back, but realized he now had a lifetime of vigilance. I'd rank that and Ellen Page's speech where she came out as gay as two of the most inspiring things I've seen.

I like how he just... talks to you. Jokingly, yes, but it's conversational. I don't think you can do that at 11:35.

When Dave leaves, CBS should try out a late news format, like 'Nightline' meets 'Sunday Morning'. Move Craig up to 12:05/11:05, so he is promoted, but without the pressure and risk of 11:35. I mean, CBS has definitely been serious about news lately, so it's not that crazy of a thought, and with would set them apart.

That's sound advice, but the reason ABC moved Nightline - which was doing well! - for Kimmel is that advertisers want younger eyeballs, and news doesn't deliver those younger eyeballs. Plus, everyone seems to leave out Adult Swim, which also does insanely well for itself.

When Dave leaves, CBS should try out a late news format, like 'Nightline' meets 'Sunday Morning'. Move Craig up to 12:05/11:05, so he is promoted, but without the pressure and risk of 11:35. I mean, CBS has definitely been serious about news lately, so it's not that crazy of a thought, and with would set them apart.

That's what I was thinking. CBS has been very serious about news lately. And lets be honest, CBS is certainly NOT known for its younger crowd anyway...

That's what I was thinking. CBS has been very serious about news lately. And lets be honest, CBS is certainly NOT known for its younger crowd anyway...

That's my reasoning. Yes, the younger viewers are favored, but that doesn't seem to be the top priority at CBS, so I think that takes away a lot of the risk and potential disappointment. Frankly, the Mouse and the Eye are two completely different operations. Besides, I don't think even Nightline's demo ratings where too shabby in recent years, anyway.

I watched the show last night, and I couldn't help but notice that Jimmy looked a bit uncomfortable. Among other things, the humor was dry, and who the hell is that guy with the mic in the corner? Is he the horrible VO that starts the show?

He was definitely more at ease on Tuesday night. And "that guy" in the corner is Steve Higgins, longtime 'SNL' producer/writer and announcer since Fallon started on 'Late Night'. If you're not familiar with Jimmy's run on 'Late Night', you'll be surprised how big a role Higgins plays on the program. The duo's banter during the monologue is a hallmark of the show.

This article, while a little too generous to Fallon, ignoring many of his shortcomings, does a pretty good job outlining what's to be expected on 'Tonight'. http://www.freep.com/article/20140216/ENT03/302160033/jimmy-fallon-tonight-show

NUP_162162_0001.jpg

Yeah - in retrospect, Conan really should have gone to Fox when he had the opportunity. You raise a great point in that The Tonight Show goes on at 10:35 in the middle of the country - and that's part of prime time.

Prime time in central is 7:00-10:00. 10:35 is definitely not considered prime time in this time zone.

Why doesn't JKL air a new episode on Fridays? I always thought this was odd and frankly, is hurting them.

Tonight is a great example, I don't wanna watch the same episode that has aired this week so I am watching the Tonight Show. I am sure I am not the only one.

Prime time in central is 7:00-10:00. 10:35 is definitely not considered prime time in this time zone.

I'm quoting from either "Live From New York" or "The War For Late Night" - and I'm looking and looking for the actual quote. The gist was that the monologue should be part of the show, something not as edgy, because in half the country you're being broadcast at a time when more people are awake. I assume that sleep schedules don't change because primetime on TV runs from 7-10 and not 8-11.

That's a practice from when Kimmel was on after 'Nightline'. You'd think that would've changed once he was promoted, but alas, it wasn't to be.

I think everyone but Leno/Fallon either only does four nights a week, or pre-tapes the Friday show. Letterman tapes his Friday show on a Monday or Tuesday, I think. Craig Ferguson was taping his Friday show on Thursdays (which, after the Aurora shootings, caused problems as his monologue was about the movie - he aired a short introspective piece on it in place of his monologue). And of course, Conan, Stewart, and Colbert just do four days a week.

I think everyone but Leno/Fallon either only does four nights a week, or pre-tapes the Friday show. Letterman tapes his Friday show on a Monday or Tuesday, I think. Craig Ferguson was taping his Friday show on Thursdays (which, after the Aurora shootings, caused problems as his monologue was about the movie - he aired a short introspective piece on it in place of his monologue). And of course, Conan, Stewart, and Colbert just do four days a week.

Hell, Carson did 4 nights (sometimes 3) a week for 20 years. I'll say this, though; I don't know how long Dave's been on that schedule (as long as I can remember), but he's paid his dues and can work 4 days if he damn well wants to, and the cable nets have always been like that, as Fridays get grouped with the weekend blocks. To me, it just seems lazy that Kimmel and ABC have gone that route.

I do recall hearing rumblings a few months back suggesting that Meyers would do 4 nights and continue with 'Weekend Update', but I'm pretty sure that's changed, as Seth has quit 'SNL' cold turkey. Whether the Friday show is fresh or not is not-yet determined, but I don't see Lorne standing for that, based on his approach with 'SNL' and Fallon.

Archived