Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

Many people often associate the theme from KIRO's News Out of the Box era as a composition by Gerard Schwarz. It is not. Although the Seattle Symphony recorded the theme package under Schwarz as conductor, the themes were composed by Mark Haffner, as shown in this newspaper report from the Morning News Tribune:

KIRONews1993.thumb.png.f9627066314ad37f388be89fa791a2fa.png

Haffner would later compose the more traditional News Now package, used during the NewsChannel 7 era, and which had the same sonic logo as the News Out of the Box package.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 9:51 AM, Samantha said:

Did not know that, probably simply because we didn't have a lot of KSL from that era (and I believe we are still missing an open generation from 1992‚Äď93).

KSFY-TV in Sioux City also used the theme as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Several years ago, ESPN Classic aired a number of old SportsCenter broadcasts in honor of ESPN's anniversary. Just recently, I came across an old broadcast from ESPN's infancy which featured of all things, slow pitch softball. The video, by the way, is courtesy of Andy Wenzel who, if I am not mistaken, recorded these games that aired back in 1979.

So, I want you all to take a listen to this video and listen at 21:29, because it features a few seconds of a cut from the first ESPN music package.

NOTE: The theme at 21:29 was also used to close out a SportsCenter broadcast during this period.

I share this video, because it begs me the question: Who in the world composed the first ESPN music package?

• Like 1