Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
promoguy98

Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

Recommended Posts

On 3/9/2019 at 11:46 AM, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

I went to YouTube just now and saw some news stories about the Wichita Wings indoor soccer team. Well, just to find out, KSNW's 1985 news theme began before 1985. It started out sometime in the early 1980s, say 1983 which is the same time KETV in Omaha used the KSNW theme.

If you watch the video at 9:54, you can hear a few seconds of KSNW's classic news theme. Six seconds later at 10:00, we hear a drum beat in the theme that is reminiscent of the WRAL/KTXL 1982 news theme. So, this leads me to believe that the composer of the KSNW theme may have also done the WRAL/KTXL theme around that timeframe. But...but, I may be wrong plus it is not known who composed the theme.
 

 

 

You know what the KSN Theme also sounds a lot like? 9 Country/11 Country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 5:03 PM, Samantha said:

 

 

This might be one of my biggest finds this year: The Spirit of Tampa Bay is Gari!

 

It's rare to find unknown Gari works, but this appears to be one of them. It also appears there is a v2 of this image campaign that debuted in 1983.

 

From Walt Belcher's April 11, 1983 Tampa Tribune TV column:

 

 

 

Great find - funny it was being mocked back then as elevator music. But now that we know yeah those horns are signature Gari, and probably his collaborator at the time Danny Baker. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tampa Bay market has had some really impressive custom news music over the decades. They weren't afraid to spend the dough instead of utilizing syndicated packages. 

It is kind of surprising that "Hello News" or some of the other iconic themes like CHL (that we know of-looking at you WLCY) weren't used in the Tampa market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

The Tampa Bay market has had some really impressive custom news music over the decades. They weren't afraid to spend the dough instead of utilizing syndicated packages. 

It is kind of surprising that "Hello News" or some of the other iconic themes like CHL (that we know of-looking at you WLCY) weren't used in the Tampa market.

I recall at one point speculations on here that WFLA used Hello News. Possibly they were mishearing this package. The fact that we just found out this was a Gari job makes lots of sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this was mentioned on this thread (you can correct me if I'm wrong). But I want to know who composed this theme. This is from WTTV in the mid-80s.

Vid courtesy of kyndel hewitt from YT


Is this theme based on its station promo "4 The Good Times"? Listen closely.

Vid courtesy of TheClassicSports from YT.

 

 

Vid courtesy of Chuck D's Classic TV Playhouse's YT page.

Edited by CircleSeven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 9/5/2019 at 5:03 PM, Samantha said:

This might be one of my biggest finds this year: The Spirit of Tampa Bay is Gari!

 

It's rare to find unknown Gari works, but this appears to be one of them. It also appears there is a v2 of this image campaign that debuted in 1983.

 

From Walt Belcher's April 11, 1983 Tampa Tribune TV column:

 

 

This is probably when they launched the "Watch Our Spirit Now" promos with the "Newswatching Out For You" slogan. But as a newscast close from 1984 shows, WXFL didn't stop using the soft instrumental close to close the newscasts. They had so many graphic iterations of promos during The Spirit of Tampa Bay's time. They had the pre-call letter change multi colored logo which was on the trucks, the yellow logo with black background on the mics, and the gold logo with blue background after the call letter change. I think I saw 5 different show promo graphics for the station from 1982-1985 to when they went to the Gannett knockoff graphics and they went with Power News for newscasts and Turn To News for promos.

Edited by jerseyfla
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jerseyfla said:

 

This is probably when they launched the "Watch Our Spirit Now" promos with the "Newswatching Out For You" slogan. But as a newscast close from 1984 shows, WXFL didn't stop using the soft instrumental close to close the newscasts. They had so many graphic iterations of promos during The Spirit of Tampa Bay's time. They had the pre-call letter change multi colored logo which was on the trucks, the yellow logo with black background on the mics, and the gold logo with blue background after the call letter change. I think I saw 5 different show promo graphics for the station from 1982-1985 to when they went to the Gannett knockoff graphics and they went with Power News for newscasts and Turn To News for promos.

 

The Watch Our Spirit Now promos debuted in April '84. That May they ran a 2-page spread ad in the St. Petersburg Times TV supplement with some of the copy from the ad series...

 

314115084_ScreenShot2019-09-16at20_45_24.png.63f2a4b1cc36133dfe92492e79660fec.png

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's so awesome you found that. I thought I had found all the Tampa Bay TV nostalgia I could find.

For some additional WFLA info, it looks like they started using "Part of Your Life" in 1977 since that's the first appearance of the slogan I could find in the newspapers. I also wonder if there may have been a different theme used between 1979 and 1981 since that slogan disappeared in favor of "Nobody does it better!". 

Edited by 8Viewer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So it sounds like KTVX used the "WCCO 1978 News Theme" but it's not listed in the NMSA. I think it was misidentified as the "WCCO 1983" theme:

 

Edited by 8Viewer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can also see a tail end of the open in my compilation, voiced by Charlie Van Dyke (who’s still there in his second tenure):

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 10/5/2019 at 4:54 PM, 8Viewer said:

So it sounds like KTVX used the "WCCO 1978 News Theme" but it's not listed in the NMSA. I think it was misidentified as the "WCCO 1983" theme:

 

The NMSA in general has trouble telling the 'CCO themes of this era apart. (It doesn't help when WCCO's own sister station matched the 85 "Best News of All" imaging with the 83 theme.) Particularly 1978 -> 1983 is an evolution and their similar beds make it worse.

 

The 1983 theme, which had an accompanying On the Move image, debuted when the station moved into the then-new WCCO Communications Center on September 13.

Edited by Samantha
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks to the American Archive of Public Broadcasting, all episodes of UNC-TV's North Carolina Now from its 1994 premiere through July 31, 1998 are available online for viewing.

 

In searching the archive, I came across the composer for the original "cheesy 1990s talk show" theme in the credits roll: a company called Scores (not related to Score Productions).

 

You can see an episode with an nice, long 1-minute closing with the theme here

 

I can't find any information about Scores... it sounds like this company has been out of business for quite some time. I assume it was North Carolina-based.

Edited by Ntropolis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Figured I may look a little deeper apt that site later (just made a quick peek and the search results display reminds me of the site for C-Span)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.