Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

I don't think WAGT ever had an image campaign song for "26 Power". It was just a brand they used in the 1980s. Of course, I could be wrong.

Well, they did at least come up with the brand at Peters, as it's on their Facebook page.

I wonder how WTVD got on the list? I don’t see anything that Peters communications did for WTVD on NMSA. It could be the WTVD 1979 news theme.

Well, Mr. NMSA isn't putting things in without a high degree of confidence. I'd suspect it's that, too, or something non-news.

I've realized something. Many stations that used the newscast title Newsight were Peters clients, including:

-KODE

-WHP (1988-90 during the "It's for Good" image — looking at it in hindsight, a lot of that was rolled back upon replacement)

-WTXL (as shown in the 1984 newspaper ad)

-WWNY

WWNY 1988 can't possibly be Peters, can it?

More on Peters:

-Any station that used the "Alive" branding were or are Peters, it appears

-Most of the Storer Broadcasting stations (Sorry WSBK/Boston) were clients

as were the Combined Communications (the nucleus of Gannett nee Tegna) stations

and "2 Together" was not Peters first rodeo with WJBK; I present this:

Another Peters client also used that style 2, WNGE/ Nashville

screenshot-logos.wikia.com-2018-01-08-02-36-35.png.0eac832d7f38113838b8b9c7832c39ed.png

screenshot-logos.wikia.com-2018-01-08-02-40-31.png.edadc8a21c57c94ed5548fcdfbaaa04e.png

• Like 1

I'm sure Ed Peters and his colleagues are very talented, but those station lists aren't exactly filled to the brim with longtime market leaders.

Here's a demo reel from the site:

https://nebula.wsimg.com/527ea4c42051bc1c7b87af5770ade007?AccessKeyId=66DF0260B5371BCE06BB&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

• Like 2

I wonder how WTVD got on the list? I don’t see anything that Peters communications did for WTVD on NMSA. It could be the WTVD 1979 news theme.

I've had this theory for a while. I didn't get 100% confirmation from Ed Peters on the phone (or maybe I did), but since I already knew Peters Productions filed a trademark for "Together" for use in broadcast promotion (along with "Alive," "Belongs", "Believes," "Is Yours," etc.) and I assumed from the melody and logo that it was "11 Together."

I will have more thoughts on all this later. I have detected a couple more possibilities in that music demo. (Actually, WQAD early 80s was one of them, but looks like you beat me to that by finding the logo on their Facebook. The promo excerpt in the demo reel sounds almost like it could lead into the ID jingle heard at the beginning of the early 80s news intro on NMSA.)

I wonder if KTNV not being on that list is just an omission. I assumed KTNV 1981 was "13 Belongs", it resembles a piece of music heard on a KOVR movie open on YouTube that also features their 13 Belongs logo.

KUTV is on that list, too. That's got to be "2 Together," but was the 1981 news open music related? It sounds like it says "2 To-ge-ther!" (And I just realized when I pointed this out before last summer, I said KTVX when I should have said KUTV...)

(Someone uploaded a 2 Together promo with an image song to YouTube over a decade ago, but it's long gone. I forget who it was - localstationbreak's original Johninmontana account? Maybe NewsActive3 before one of his earlier video purges? If the latter, could it be lurking in one of his longer videos like some of the other stuff he had up in the mid/late 00s?)

Also, WEAR has to be "3 Clearly Yours", I feel like I may have confirmed this one with Ed once. The long instrumental and ID jingle sound similar to the other Peters/possible Peters stuff (it's still hard to nail down as much of a "Peters sound" as we can with Tuesday).

• Like 3

Holy macaroni!

Huh. WPGH was a peters product, but how bout WPXI and "Look at us"?

Doubtful. I'm pretty sure that jingle was recorded in Los Angeles, not San Diego. I recognize the singers, they were union and Tuesday/Peters were not (see: the Tuesday/AFTRA lawsuit).

• Like 2

I've had this theory for a while. I didn't get 100% confirmation from Ed Peters on the phone (or maybe I did), but since I already knew Peters Productions filed a trademark for "Together" for use in broadcast promotion (along with "Alive," "Belongs", "Believes," "Is Yours," etc.) and I assumed from the melody and logo that it was "11 Together."

Then that would make sense for WNCT. They were "9 Alive" in the late 70s/early 80s but there's zilch from that period other than this logo...

wnct0979.jpg

• Like 5

As I listen to this reel, it makes me realize how big this find is. I do recognize "The Spirit of Joplin and 12 Together" because KODE-TV in Joplin was the one.

I did check the client list and I saw that WATE-TV in Knoxville used something from Peters. Hmm... It makes me wonder if they used a news theme or a promo piece from Peters.

• Like 3

I will have more thoughts on all this later. I have detected a couple more possibilities in that music demo. (Actually, WQAD early 80s was one of them, but looks like you beat me to that by finding the logo on their Facebook. The promo excerpt in the demo reel sounds almost like it could lead into the ID jingle heard at the beginning of the early 80s news intro on NMSA.)

The only problem is that "One Quad City" debuted in 1984. I caught this newspaper excerpt and I'm glad I did:

"I like Channel 8's new theme song. It's catchy, upbeat, exciting even. I like their "One Quad-City" theme and the billboards that go along with it."

The NMSA progression for this station is absolutely shot as it has the 1989 use of The Best News of All listed for 1984-86.

I wonder if this goes with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=gegaO-y0XXU;t=1550

Or if it's part of an earlier campaign...

But it seems the fall of '84 was when One Quad-City debuted... (The article mentions a "San Diego research firm" that is obviously Peters).

The context of the entire campaign seems to be trying to get the region of a bunch of cities to think of itself as one.

• Like 3

The promo song on the website actually sounds like it leads into the jingle at the beginning of the open for this package.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,1618

Do we have video of that open? Do we know what year the clip is actually from? (The theme may go back to 1980, there's a sales promo labeled as that year with the actual news theme in it.)

• Like 1

The promo song on the website actually sounds like it leads into the jingle at the beginning of the open for this package.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,1618

Do we have video of that open? Do we know what year the clip is actually from? (The theme may go back to 1980, there's a sales promo labeled as that year with the actual news theme in it.)

There are plenty of WQAD opens heard on the NMSA that aren’t seen on YouTube. From what I can guess, WQAD used the ABC News Synthesized Theme until maybe around 1982, then maybe this theme, then the 1984 theme, then the WFTV 1986 theme, and finally the WCCO theme.

Idk, that theme is too synth-y to be Peters...

I agree with you. I was thinking more of the ID jingle, which doesn't necessarily come from the same package, even if one might assume so. (Though the WEAR 1982 open is weird, it also sounds too electronic but it seems to be repeating "Three-Clear-ly-Yours" over and over.)

• Like 4

Maybe KOVR commissioned that theme and KTNV borrowed it?

Nope, I figured it out. KTNV is in that list, but under its previous call letters of KSHO. This could mean that 13 Belongs predates the 1980 call sign change.

I have a 1980 Calico demo reel (I assume it's 1980 because it has the Hour Magazine intro in it) on VHS that I got from someone who got it from tvnewsman who got it from eyeontv - who also uploaded it on one of his earlier YT accounts, but never reuploaded it - which has animations for KHON "2 Belongs," KTNV (or KSHO?) "13 Belongs," and KTWO "K2 The Free Spirit". (Sorry, no accompanying music, it was a montage of clips set to a Vivaldi piece.) I guess Peters went to Calico for at least some of their animations, like Klein & did.

• Like 1

Also, WCPX "6 Believes in You" is another one that Ed Peters told me about some years back. It was in use concurrent with "Determination"; it wasn't used as a news intro, but it was used as a news closing. There has been a 1985 close on YouTube for a while (right now there's a full 1985 newscast), with an instrumental-with-vocal-tag "6 Believes in You" as part of one of those "local people on camera" closings (I wonder, was this a concept originated by Peters? Or was it a Magid thing? It obviously outlasted Peters at WXIA, all the way until their complete station image refresh around the fall of 1993.)

• Like 4

Also, WCPX "6 Believes in You" is another one that Ed Peters told me about some years back. It was in use concurrent with "Determination"; it wasn't used as a news intro, but it was used as a news closing. There has been a 1985 close on YouTube for a while (right now there's a full 1985 newscast), with an instrumental-with-vocal-tag "6 Believes in You" as part of one of those "local people on camera" closings (I wonder, was this a concept originated by Peters? Or was it a Magid thing? It obviously outlasted Peters at WXIA, all the way until their complete station image refresh around the fall of 1993.)

(30:55 for the close)

I would assume it's Scott Schreer / NJJ Music as well, but I don't know if he has contact info. I know the NetworkNewsMusic guy got the ID on the WNBC theme (which NMSA still misattributes to someone else, along with lumping NJJ in as the same company as HLC and Killer Tracks).

I do, however, know that Paul Libman (a Chicago native) did the next WMAQ package, the 1985 one (and the reorchestrated version of it too). He confirmed that with me. It was in connection with a campaign "Feeling the Beat of Chicago" which is registered in the U.S. Copyright Office under his name/company. (Listen to the end signature; ignore the NBC chimes in the middle, and it matches that slogan exactly.)

• Like 6

I do, however, know that Paul Libman (a Chicago native) did the next WMAQ package, the 1985 one (and the reorchestrated version of it too). He confirmed that with me. It was in connection with a campaign "Feeling the Beat of Chicago" which is registered in the U.S. Copyright Office under his name/company. (Listen to the end signature; ignore the NBC chimes in the middle, and it matches that slogan exactly.)

Thanks a million for this info! IMO, this was Channel 5's best sound.

Here's the two music packs I want to find the composers of and/or clean cuts: KCOP's Real News pack from 1993, and WLWT's 1997-era theme, during their Nobody Brings You Closer era. (NMSA claims it's part of Gari's Advantage which they'd been using prior, but it doesn't sound anything like it so I highly doubt that.). Anybody know anything about these two?

Here's the two music packs I want to find the composers of and/or clean cuts: KCOP's Real News pack from 1993, and WLWT's 1997-era theme, during their Nobody Brings You Closer era. (NMSA claims it's part of Gari's Advantage which they'd been using prior, but it doesn't sound anything like it so I highly doubt that.). Anybody know anything about these two?

There is an ASCAP registration for "Real News Theme" by John Bauers, which also shows an alternate title "KCOP Theme." There's also a copyright registration for "Real News Theme", with John Bauers listed as author, and dated 1993. I'd guess that it's the same theme you're asking about.

• Like 3