Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

I'm about to shock you.

I think this might be Silvertree. WTOG (but not WAKA) was on the Silvertree client list. I'm slightly reminded of the KWCH 1993 theme.

Ha! Silvertree hadn't crossed my mind, but Otis Conner crossed it. Didn't he have a connection with them at one point? I was beginning to think that "Soundtrack" which has always been intertwined with Aircraft Music had produced the WTOG/WAKA theme as a custom, since both stations had used Soundtrack/Aircraft production tracks, but perhaps not. I know it's not in the Aircraft Music Library itself, so I'll dig around and look into the old Silvertree.... The 6 or 7 seven cuts that I mentioned hearing from the package were mixed from the same musical stem, it was literally one theme with a proper ending sting built for the open.

On a side note, check out the WLOX 1990 news theme and the WAVY VTS 1985 theme. This might call for another @TServo2049 investigation when he has time in his hectic schedule to talk with Hal Brown. Maybe he can inquire about WLOX and play some of the '90 theme. I put both tracks in Protools and the intros almost lined up, the main difference was placement of the toms and kicks, but the drum and instruments sound pretty darn close in character. If it's not VTS, first guess would be a writer/composer that also did freelance work with VTS on the WAVY package. If I'm wrong even there, I'd call it a matter of HEAVY use of inspiration, errrr imitation by another composer or company.

On a side note, check out the WLOX 1990 news theme and the WAVY VTS 1985 theme. This might call for another @TServo2049 investigation when he has time in his hectic schedule to talk with Hal Brown. Maybe he can inquire about WLOX and play some of the '90 theme. I put both tracks in Protools and the intros almost lined up, the main difference was placement of the toms and kicks, but the drum and instruments sound pretty darn close in character. If it's not VTS, first guess would be a writer/composer that also did freelance work with VTS on the WAVY package. If I'm wrong even there, I'd call it a matter of HEAVY use of inspiration, errrr imitation by another composer or company.

Speaking of WAVY 1985, I was really surprised to see the new KCRL (KRNV) entry for it... looked it up on Youtube, and sure enough,

. I haven't seen a clip of WAVY using the opening cut KCRL used (which definitely sounds like it's from that package), but they certainly used the theme from the teaser and close in that clip.

Speaking of WAVY 1985, I was really surprised to see the new KCRL (KRNV) entry for it... looked it up on Youtube, and sure enough,

. I haven't seen a clip of WAVY using the opening cut KCRL used (which definitely sounds like it's from that package), but they certainly used the theme from the teaser and close in that clip.

Yeah, I don't recall ever hearing that softer cut used on any WAVY newscasts that I've seen on tape. When I worked there, I saw the old SAM original reel to reel of "The Team" which of course got renamed to Wall-to-Wall News and a box from Tuesday Prod. Unfortunately, someone must have scurried off with the VTS reel from the super-secret theme collection closet.

Please do look into old Silvertree if you can. Bo Donovan is no longer with us, and the old website is gone (along with the audio samples) so any help would be immensely appreciated.

Otis Conner had no connection to Silvertree that I know of; Conner was (and still is) in Dallas, while Silvertree was in San Diego. (And I think Soundtrack was based in Boston at the time? I wonder if "The Image Leader" was originally made for WCVB's Chronicle...)

That WLOX 1990 theme does indeed remind me of VTS - the ending matches the early-80s WGHP theme VTS did (the demo calls it "News '80s"; it's not listed in NMSA, though the listing of WGHP using the 80s KENS package may actually be referring to News '80s - because the close has an almost identical musical phrase to that heard at the end of the KENS theme)

I'll ask Hal when I can.

Please do look into old Silvertree if you can. Bo Donovan is no longer with us, and the old website is gone (along with the audio samples) so any help would be immensely appreciated.

Otis Conner had no connection to Silvertree that I know of; Conner was (and still is) in Dallas, while Silvertree was in San Diego. (And I think Soundtrack was based in Boston at the time? I wonder if "The Image Leader" was originally made for WCVB's Chronicle...)

That WLOX 1990 theme does indeed remind me of VTS - the ending matches the early-80s WGHP theme VTS did (the demo calls it "News '80s"; it's not listed in NMSA, though the listing of WGHP using the 80s KENS package may actually be referring to News '80s - because the close has an almost identical musical phrase to that heard at the end of the KENS theme)

I'll ask Hal when I can.

Awesome checking on the WLOX theme. Over the WTOG-WAKA Silvertree deal, I've started a search between Bo Donavan's old Silvertree site... and found a site with this real name, I didn't realize that Bo Donavan was his radio name. So I'm working between any sites I can find with clients, then looking at NMSA and ASCAP and BMI to try and connect some random dots. Wish I could find or hear a snippet of that WGHP News '80s demo. I bet that holds the key to WLOX's 1990 theme that most likely started on the station much earlier than that. I would know it if I heard it.

News '80s was introduced on WGHP in about 1980. It doesn't sound anything like WLOX 1990, it just has the same musical phrase at the end.

The problem with a lot of these companies is that their stuff isn't listed in ASCAP, or BMI, or the Copyright Office...

News '80s was introduced on WGHP in about 1980. It doesn't sound anything like WLOX 1990, it just has the same musical phrase at the end.

The problem with a lot of these companies is that their stuff isn't listed in ASCAP, or BMI, or the Copyright Office...

I put a combined WLOX-WAVY reference file in my dropbox for ya in case you may need it for your conversations later. It contains the WLOX90 open, a mix w/ WAVY'S 85 logo mixed in, WLOX :30 sec topical & the WAVY85 reference file from the NMSA. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qaae8xleopm5u0i/LLCVKlwSfV

I'm going to take out the WLOX topical from the dropbox file and replace it with this. So it will be opens, this new 30second cut, followed by the WAVY85 close. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qaae8xleopm5u0i/LLCVKlwSfV

I'm going to take out the WLOX topical from the dropbox file and replace it with this. So it will be opens, this new 30second cut, followed by the WAVY85 close. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qaae8xleopm5u0i/LLCVKlwSfV

I found the two voiceovers from WTOG When it did the newscasts

Chris Clausen from about 00:33 to about :38 seconds for identification and Mike Lewis doing talent opens from 00:40 to about 1:00.

Yes it was from YouTube and I also heard of the audio version of it.

Oh really? Are you saying there is more audio somewhere besides that one ytube clip? If so, sweet! Finding the composer behind the wtog-waka theme is proving to be almost impossible. Some thinking is that it could "possibly" be from the late Bo Donovan's Silvertree company.

Oh really? Are you saying there is more audio somewhere besides that one ytube clip? If so, sweet! Finding the composer behind the wtog-waka theme is proving to be almost impossible. Some thinking is that it could "possibly" be from the late Bo Donovan's Silvertree company.

Do you mean: Silvertree from the southernmedia-nmsa site?

That is the same company that handled KWCH 1993 theme.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#4,0,49

Do you mean: Silvertree from the southernmedia-nmsa site?

That is the same company that handled KWCH 1993 theme.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#4,0,49

Yeah, that Silvertree. In doing an internet archive search on their site, Raymie had discovered that WTOG is listed as a client. They are, but WAKA isn't, but either way, it still it isn't clear whether Silvertree did it or someone else. Still on the lookout for it!

Yeah, that Silvertree. In doing an internet archive search on their site, Raymie had discovered that WTOG is listed as a client. They are, but WAKA isn't, but either way, it still it isn't clear whether Silvertree did it or someone else. Still on the lookout for it!

The WTOG listing is not my find, it's TServo's. Here's the full list, though it may not actually be complete. Not all of this is news music, and keep in mind that this was from the 2001 version of the website. Red coloring added to show known works:

KFMB, KGTV, KNSD, KLST, KCPN, KNTV, KRIS, KPNX, KOVR, KIEM, KHNL, KUTV, WQAD, WVUE, WFTV, WSIL, WDAF, WHNT, WVTV, WFIE, WRC, WPTZ, WAGT, KULR, WBPN, WICZ, KSBY, WTWS, CFCN, WDTV, KCBA, CKRD, CKSA, KERO, CFPL, WTOG, KPBS, CFJC, KWCH, WCBI, KFBB, WWTV, KCEN, WBOY, MGN Cine TV Roma, WJTV, KBAK, WXFL, WTVJ, WREX, WOKR, WFMY

KNTV and KWCH are known and in the NMSA. The KCBA/KFMB/WBOY/CFPL and WDAF/WWTV themes are highly likely to be Silvertree but not in. KGTV 1994 is also likely to be Silvertree off the list, as well as WFTV 1986 (which was also used by WQAD).

I believe WTOG 1993 could be Silvertree. I speculate KPNX 1985/86, "We're Going Where You're Going", is Silvertree as well. Many of these stations have insufficient available information, like KLST, WICZ and WAGT, to do anything.

Silvertree was founded in 1984, so these stations had Silvertree between 1984 and 2001.

To kick off a new week, thought I would ID another theme that I use to have a demo of (for confirmation purposes)....

It is called "Making a Difference" from Hal Brown's defunct VTS Productions. The main image song campaign, featured KUSA and was performed by Christian singer Sandi Patty. Several stations have used the news theme and/or vocal campaign. It's currently listed on the NMSA site as the "WRTV 1990 News Theme"

In the video, the theme starts at :30 seconds for the ID, then at :40 seconds for the full-length song.

Hopefully the embedded link shows up. Huge thanks to CircleSeven.

ENJOY!

I did not realize how much of an influence Danny Pelfrey has had in helping to shape the mid-to-late 90's sound of Gari. Pelfrey has his own library Amusicom, and has produced for other major libraries such as Killer Tracks. Along with that has been a good deal of work with Gari, according to his website. http://dannypelfrey.com/credits.dp

Check out the track 10 library theme he did for Killer Tracks titled Rescue Squad.

http://www.killertracks.com/#/browse/browsed-results.aspx?selectedLabelId=8&PageNo=9&SelectedCDId=633

Here's an example of Rescue Squad used in the 1997 Fox Boston open following their main theme. It comes in as a vamp, which had me originally wondering why they were randomly throwing in a Gari theme out of nowhere... LOL

You will hear some defining synth/sampler elements (orchestral hits/drum hits, bass saw wave pads, keys) that were used heavily in the original series of the "Image News" package that Pelfrey helped compose. Listen closer for that #1 "go to" Jedi-sounding zap & swoosh combination sample that Gari has used in countless 90's productions.

Some of these sounds may originate from the Kurzweil 2000/2500/2600 sampler synth which was pretty much a "have to have" keyboard if you had a major music production house in the 90's. I do hear the "brass mix" preset of the Korg M1 that was and still is another go-to Gari preset in his 90s to present work.

To kick off a new week, thought I would ID another theme that I use to have a demo of (for confirmation purposes)....

It is called "Making a Difference" from Hal Brown's defunct VTS Productions. The main image song campaign, featured KUSA and was performed by Christian singer Sandi Patty. Several stations have used the news theme and/or vocal campaign. It's currently listed on the NMSA site as the "WRTV 1990 News Theme"

In the video, the theme starts at :30 seconds for the ID, then at :40 seconds for the full-length song.

Hopefully the embedded link shows up. Huge thanks to CircleSeven.

ENJOY!

Another VTS? Sheesh, these composers have aces up both their sleeves.

According to link below, here is the original writer/composer and singer info of the original "We're with You on 11Alive" promo campaign for Atlanta.

Atlanta 11 Alive

(Jayne Critelli/David Lucas)

WXIA- Michael Bolton/Vivian Cherry, vocals

http://www.jaynecritelli.com/music/jingles.html - - the full length song is featured on the page.

Begs the question if Gari bought out this entire work, along with what became known now as the Great News Package, which was known as Hello News II and originally as News 88.