Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

That's merging two themes, I'm talking about themes which exist in NMSA as part of completely unrelated packages. (WROC 1981 + 1987 =/= We're 4, Telesound NBC =/= Tuesday9, WAGA 1979 =/= X Belongs, not to mention that wonky WVEC open with the Turn To signature that may have been a non-Gari local production...)

Actually, I went back to the RNYN post comments, and Ron Dylewski now thinks RNYN may be correct about WROC 1987 being We're 4, but I'm still not so sure. The Renaissance 2 vocals are not L.A., and I swear Bob Klein specifically told me once that said promo was not his work. (Or I may be getting things mixed up with Tom DiNoto's response in the negative as to being Tuesday - though there are a couple late-70s "Here's 2" promos and instrumentals that sound much more like Tuesday than Klein & to my ear; the song pulled off KDKA's website long ago when they had old retro clips might be one of them, but I go back and forth on it because the digital file was so compressed that it's hard for me to tell. The other was a sports theme on a video that was nuked a few years ago.)

Oh, and a crazy thing about that We're 4 intro music that you think is Gari: Before I began corresponding with Bob Klein, it was actually labeled as Gari on NMSA! I forget if I got definite confirmation from Gari that it wasn't his work; I called him once in 2006 or so, but I have discovered that I no longer have the notes, assuming I took any back then - my Bob Klein and Edd Kalehoff notes are preserved but nothing relating to Gari. But I feel like if I had called him at that time, that would have been one of the things I would have asked about. I think Gari did local affiliate stuff for the first Still the One campaign - remember how the animation showed up in a mid-2000s Gari demo reel? - and they sang a special Still the One '79/Catch 5 hybrid for WEWS, for which JAM sent a copy of the instrumental to Gari in NY, as related by Jon Wolfert), I would find it extremely hard to believe that Klein & would have outsourced to Gari. Doesn't sound like Gari to me anyway...

You are correct. I remember that mid-2000's video and over JAM sending the instrumental to Gari. Glad to hear your opinion over the "We're 4" news package. Unless I'm mixing two events up, which is very possible, I certainly remember hearing a laid-back, easy-going, rejected and/or demo image song Gari made for WNBC that was on a composite cd sampler followed by that Klein open cut. I remembered thinking to myself that the intro part of the open sounded far-too-dated to be on an early 90's sampler reel, but my history of that could be all mixed together! LOL

My only other thought is that maybe a freelance composer, that also happened to work with Gari, assembled the tracks. That mid to late 70's keyboard sound over the bass loop in the intro reminds me of the vamp in the Catch 5 80's open and the first part of the closing theme in The One For All. Of course, it's all quite possible these are simply coincidences due to the same sampler/synth hardware being used during those days.

• Like 1

Do you mean the open cut at 5:30 on this reel?

It's very strange, if I listened to it on its own, I might think it was Gari. But comparing the vocal promos to The One 4 All which was the same year, the singers absolutely do not sound like Gari's singers. The vocals aren't the classic L.A. vocal sound, but it sounds in line with late 70s/early 80s Klein &. The lead male singer really really sounds like the same one who showed up on other stuff they did that was definitely recorded in L.A. (John Bahler? Or maybe Tom Bahler?) I'm not sure how much of this came to them completed, and how much of this features in-house production, but I know the animations were also done in L.A. by an outfit called Midocean Motion Pictures - that news open (but just an excerpt of the visual, in a montage of clips set to Jean-Michel Jarre) also shows up on a demo reel from the same time that I found on an online stock footage archive.

However, WBZ did make at least one in-house promo that combined this graphic package with The One 4 All:

A conundrum indeed...

I wonder, when Ron Dylewski says Jeff Sutton did "KD & You," does that mean we also have a composer ID for the "tunnel"-era theme that has been misidentified as The News Image for almost 20 years?

Probably.

I think KD got mixed up with News image because, well try humming the words 'KD and You'. Almost the same four notes as the News Image signature.

So looks like Sutton did the KD work...now to track down version 1 (pre 1985 or so) and version 2 (with the jazzy sax versions) - a great package.

What is the production music used starting at 0:07?

And the music heard in this video?

Also, the music used for the tease in this video? It's not LA Groove, I've heard it before on other stations.

And, the music used starting at 1:27 in this video?

...!

Was not expecting the KGGM or WBTW packs to be Peters! (I think we knew KARK, and I had discovered WHO.)

I am extremely intrigued by the listings for KPNX and KTSP. I think at this point, barring an 83-84 surprise, the only KTSP campaign that fits the bill is The Vision.

• Like 1

Let's see...taking some educated guesses on some of these here.

* WAGT - 26 Power

* WKZO - The 1980 theme

* WJBK - 2 Together (which would make TServo right)

* WGXA - That Macon Spirit

* KWCH - Look of a Leader

Needless to say, this is definitely very interesting and a potentially major find.

• Like 2

Let's see...taking some educated guesses on some of these here.

* WAGT - 26 Power

* WKZO - The 1980 theme

* WJBK - 2 Together (which would make TServo right)

* WGXA - That Macon Spirit

* KWCH - Look of a Leader

Needless to say, this is definitely very interesting and a potentially major find.

WAGT and KWCH are correct.

Images on FB (they have small images of some of their logos on their FB!) add a few more:

WBNG: Leading the Way (introduced in 1995 with new logo)

WSPA: In the Center of it All ("1992")

WEHT: "We're Always Home"

"WGRC" (News 5 Rochester, then News 9, now Spectrum News there): "A Step Beyond"

KBAK: 29 Strong

KWHD: The Light (non-news obviously)

WCPX: 6 Believes in You

WIBW: 13, The Original (almost certainly "1989")

WTVM: A Special Place

WPGH: Friend of the Family

KCOY: "12 is Yours" (mid-late 80s... KCOY 1988???)

KNTV: "A New Vision"

KTWO: "K2, The Free Spirit"

WTXL: "This is our place" (mid-80s?)

WQAD: early-80s Active 8

KTSP: The Vision (YES!)

And I'm saving the best for last...

KFOR: 4 Strong. The image for this should raise every eyebrow in this room.

10537984_732322750161802_7294747031468974025_n.jpg?oh=9a9830843512e3384dcacb45b45a9f9c&oe=5AF6CC2A

EDIT: There's a few more!

KAMR - It's 4 Sure (late 80s/early 90s, no video footage exists)

WTAJ - 10 On the Move

WOWK - 13 Believes in You (1996 - see below)

• Like 2

Images on FB (they have small images of some of their logos on their FB!) add a few more:

"WGRC" (News 5 Rochester, then News 9, now Spectrum News there): "A Step Beyond"

10537984_732322750161802_7294747031468974025_n.jpg?oh=9a9830843512e3384dcacb45b45a9f9c&oe=5AF6CC2A

They used this as KTVY?!!?

Also when did WCPX use “6 Believes In You”? Was that when the call letter change came about?

They used this as KTVY?!!?

Also when did WCPX use “6 Believes In You”? Was that when the call letter change came about?

I don't think they ever did. The image change went hand-in-hand with the callsign change on April 22, 1990. To see "4 Strong, KTVY" though shocked me.

In re: WCPX, 6 Believes in You...it may not have a news theme:

Also, I strongly suspect WOWK is 1996. If they did Leading the Way for WBNG, they had to have done "13 Believes in You" for WOWK which has a massive graphic similarity and was in the same station group...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=x8MR8Nlfor0;t=889

I am going to search and ask people I know in the Huntington-Charleston market for old tapes of WOWK, WSAZ and Sinclair8.

I am going to search and ask people I know in the Huntington-Charleston market for old tapes of WOWK, WSAZ and Sinclair8.

It'd be great!

That medley is killer and obligatory listening! I've never heard ANY of the KFOR 4 Strong or KTSP The Vision campaigns — the full image song from The Vision is something I've wanted for years.

There are additional campaigns in it...

"It's WHP, TV 21, It's for Good" (WHP 1989 — sing the line!)

"The Spirit of Joplin and 12 Together" (oh my gosh, really, Joplin?)

"This is What Dayton is All About"

"There's No Place Quite Like Iowa"

"Look for Yours, Look for TV 12" (not sure where, probably KCOY 12 is Yours)

The spoiler tag contains the broadcast TV portion of the client list, for if/when that site goes down:

[spoiler=Peters Client List]

WPIX TV New York City, NY

WJBK TV Detroit, MI

WPTA TV Fort Wayne, IN

WAGT TV Augusta, GA

WATE TV Knoxville, TN

WOWK TV Charleston, WV

WSPA TV Spartanburg, SC

WDAF TV Kansas City, KS

WITI TV Milwaukee, WI

WOKR TV Rochester, NY

WOLF TV Scranton, PA

WECA TV Tallahassee, FL

WWNY TV Watertown, NY

WTVA TV Tupelo, MS

WGXA TV Macon, GA

WEHT TV Evansville, IN

WPGH TV Pittsburgh, PA

WSPD TV Toledo, OH

WIBW TV Topeka, KS

WXLT TV Sarasota, FL

WCPX TV Orlando, FL

WXIA TV Atlanta, GA

WKZO TV Kalamazoo, MI

WMBB TV Panama City, FL

WTAJ TV Altoona, PA

WEAR TV Pensacola, FL

WBTW TV Florence, SC

WNCT TV Greenville, NC

WVLA TV Baton Rouge, LA

WTXL TV Tallahassee, FL

WHAG TV Hagerstown, MD

KARK TV Little Rock, AR

KHON TV Honolulu, HI

KPNX TV Phoenix, AZ

KUTV Salt Lake City, UT

KHQ TV Spokane, WA

KBAK TV Bakersfield, CA

KLAS TV Las Vegas, NV

KVIA TV El Paso, TX

KID TV Idaho Falls, ID

KTVO Ottumwa, IA

KNTV San Jose, CA

KTVL Medford, OR

KECI TV Missoula, MT

KSHO TV Las Vegas, NV

KAMR TV Amarillo, TX

[KEYC] TV Mankato, MN

KOA TV Denver, CO

KWCH TV Wichita, KS

KOAM TV Joplin, MO

KCEN TV Waco, TX

KCOY TV [santa Maria, CA] (list says OKC, but there is a real KCOY campaign in here)

KCST TV San Diego, CA

KTSP TV Phoenix, AZ

KMST TV Monterey, CA

KFYR TV Bismarck, MT

KOIN TV Portland, OR

KOLO TV Reno, NV

KODE TV Joplin, MO

KULR TV Billings, MT

KOLN TV Lincoln, NE

KTWO TV Casper, WY

WCKT TV Miami, FL

WHIO TV Dayton, OH

WTVD TV Raleigh, NC

WJBF TV Augusta, GA

WLKY TV Louisville, KY

WAGA TV Atlanta, GA

KOVR TV Sacramento, CA

[WTOV] TV Steubenville, OH

WXMI TV Grand Rapids, MI

WYFF TV Greenville, SC

WTVM TV Columbus, GA

WBNG TV Binghamton, NY

KMGH TV Denver, CO

KSNT TV Topeka, KS

KGGM TV Albuquerque, NM

KENS TV San Antonio, TX

KFOR TV Oklahoma, OK

WCIV TV Charleston, SC

WBAY TV Green Bay, WI

KZAZ TV Tucson, AZ

WMBD TV Peoria, IL

WJKW TV Cleveland, OH

WNGE TV Nashville, TN

WIIC TV Pittsburgh, PA

KWHD TV Denver, CO

WLWT TV Cincinnati, OH

WEVV TV Evansville, IN

Greater Rochester Cable Rochester, NY ["WGRC"/News 5 Rochester]

WCHS TV Charleston, WV

• Like 2

Raymie said:

Wonder if this lines up with the "Nightly News Package" - and whether that is Palmer at all. (It always sounded just a little too...off of the Palmer vein to me.)

Raymie said:

Singing it to 1989 lines up perfectly!

Raymie said:

1984, to be specific. This image is...really bad, but I'll quote a relevant bit of it here as an anti-eyestrain measure:

Tallahassee.

This is our place.

We hope you've seen our new call letters and logos. [...] And a new name, NEWSIGHT 27, describes what local TV news does here [...]

One other thing I noticed - there's a listing for WECA alongside WTXL. The 1980 theme rings a bell - 27, Up and Coming?

EDIT: Adding a clipping of the referenced newspaper ad: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/29141556/

Edited by Ramona
add newspaper clipping

EDIT: There's a few more!

KAMR - It's 4 Sure (late 80s/early 90s, no video footage exists)

WTAJ - 10 On the Move

WOWK - 13 Believes in You (1996 - see below)

I don't think WAGT ever had an image campaign song for "26 Power". It was just a brand they used in the 1980s. Of course, I could be wrong.

• Like 2