Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

[quote name='Raymie']It's for BG cues, so I doubt it's a full news theme... :/[/QUOTE] Aww shucks I overlooked that one important aspect and see what you mean in the listings... Edit: On a whole different topic @Raymie see if you can dig anything up, when you have time, regarding "Rey Sanchez" he was listed as a composer of original music for WTVJ's Post-Hurricane Andrew special. He's still in Miami. It would be awesome to uncover if he had anything to do with their "Watch Our Teamwork" theme or the mysterious 2012 package.
  • Like 1

Starting a new thread, that hopefully others can add to, as unknown themes are able to be matched with a composer and/or publishing house.

While doing some digging over a theme once used by a Pensacola station, I happened to find the creator of a unknown package used in Nashville.... so here's my first submission.

WSMV - The Diary (1993-94) is from Hummingbird Productions

A small snippet is located on their Youtube 'Feel Good' music reel at :52 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOo-R07kgGE

Enjoy!

I'm searching for the package used by WNBC News 4New York from 1980-1987. I have collected themes for decades and grew up listening to this one. I've done everything I can to locate it. Even the composer himself claims it is lost to a poor filing system. I've managed to score a few clean cuts over the years but really want the entire package. Can anyone help??

Here's a link to the open.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWbXt_Q6B8

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So recently we found KPNX's 1992-93 "Your choice for Real Life, Real News in the 90s" open, which resembled that of WCCO's open from that same time frame in some ways. I wonder if Wow & Flutter were also the composers of KPNX's 1992 theme besides their Everyday Music Package?

[QUOTE="Info Junkie, post: 190336, member: 3593"]So recently we found KPNX's 1992-93 "Your choice for Real Life, Real News in the 90s" open, which resembled that of WCCO's open from that same time frame in some ways. I wonder if Wow & Flutter were also the composers of KPNX's 1992 theme besides their Everyday Music Package?[/QUOTE] That's a question I've had myself. @TServo2049 might have a clue. Wow and Flutter was founded by Jerry Brunskill, and he'd be the one that would need to be contacted. If it did turn out to be Wow and Flutter, it would mean two straight KPNX themes composed by Twin Cities composers.
  • Like 5

Unfortunately, this might be the rarest large market tape-wise. Salt Lake Tribune, August 28, 1989:

Work on the contemporary jazz collection was sporadic, sandwiched between other commitments in 1988, including composing and recording themes for ABC's Monday Night Football and Movie of the Week and music for local KSL and KTVX news. But being forced to leave it, then coming back to the album from time to time had an unexpected positive result.
  • Like 1

Speaking of Salt Lake City, who else thinks KSL 1998 has gotta be a custom Non-Stop theme? Considering they were based there, and KSL has been a longtime Non-Stop client... this sounds like a Non-Stop work

There actually is some information on this theme. You are not far off, but it is not Non-Stop!

Pinnacle was formed by Kurt Bestor and Sam Cardon when they left Non-Stop Music. It composed KSL/KSFY 1998. [in regard to a listing for WVIT,] Lenhart is credited with no other news themes, but he composed a backing track for the Children's Miracle Network telethons run in recent years and composed for various video games on which Bestor and Cardon were involved. I suspect this is the 1998 theme.

There is a BMI entry for KSFY under Bestor.

BTW, Pinnacle Music is mentioned in the Hartford Courant, so they composed WVIT 1998:

"After Channel 30 came up with the concepts, the graphics were developed by EGAD (Electronic Graphics and Design) of Dallas and the music was composed by Pinnacle Music Group of Utah, said Chris Gallagher, creative services director."

• Like 5

Any Weather Channel experts in here? Anyone know who did TWC's imaging music during the "No Place on Earth has Better Weather" era? 1996-98:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=9RSOzYqQVmY;m=14;s=36

That TravelWise promo sounds a lot like what 615 was putting out at the time... reminds me of In-Sink or News One.

Any Weather Channel experts in here? Anyone know who did TWC's imaging music during the "No Place on Earth has Better Weather" era? 1996-98:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=9RSOzYqQVmY;m=14;s=36

That TravelWise promo sounds a lot like what 615 was putting out at the time... reminds me of In-Sink or News One.

I actually went digging for this a little over a month ago and came up with the name David Baron, who did a bunch of network branding stuff in the 90s. There was a shop Baron and Baron that did this sort of material.

———

I did make a find, though. "It's WHO We Are" is Peters!

And the short-lived WKRN 1986 was written by Jeffrey Steinberg.

• Like 2

I got another theme that needs to be solved, but its not just the composer that needs to be identified but also the name of the piece of music. When I used to travel to Shreveport as a little kid, I remember hearing a theme that was used on KTAL's newscasts from about 1996 to 2001 (during the NewsCenter 6 era). I believe it was production music, as I have heard it in a couple of commercials elsewhere during the early/mid-2000s. It was kind of a light music piece featuring piano and trumpets.

Now, that theme is available on the NMSA, identified as the "KTAL 1997 News Theme". I still think, though, that the theme is actually production music. Hopefully, now that we have a sample of it, the composer can be identified.