Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

On 3/9/2019 at 11:46 AM, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

I went to YouTube just now and saw some news stories about the Wichita Wings indoor soccer team. Well, just to find out, KSNW's 1985 news theme began before 1985. It started out sometime in the early 1980s, say 1983 which is the same time KETV in Omaha used the KSNW theme.

If you watch the video at 9:54, you can hear a few seconds of KSNW's classic news theme. Six seconds later at 10:00, we hear a drum beat in the theme that is reminiscent of the WRAL/KTXL 1982 news theme. So, this leads me to believe that the composer of the KSNW theme may have also done the WRAL/KTXL theme around that timeframe. But...but, I may be wrong plus it is not known who composed the theme.

You know what the KSN Theme also sounds a lot like? 9 Country/11 Country.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 5:03 PM, Samantha said:

This might be one of my biggest finds this year: The Spirit of Tampa Bay is Gari!

It's rare to find unknown Gari works, but this appears to be one of them. It also appears there is a v2 of this image campaign that debuted in 1983.

From Walt Belcher's April 11, 1983 Tampa Tribune TV column:

Great find - funny it was being mocked back then as elevator music. But now that we know yeah those horns are signature Gari, and probably his collaborator at the time Danny Baker. 

• Like 3

The Tampa Bay market has had some really impressive custom news music over the decades. They weren't afraid to spend the dough instead of utilizing syndicated packages. 

It is kind of surprising that "Hello News" or some of the other iconic themes like CHL (that we know of-looking at you WLCY) weren't used in the Tampa market.

6 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

The Tampa Bay market has had some really impressive custom news music over the decades. They weren't afraid to spend the dough instead of utilizing syndicated packages. 

It is kind of surprising that "Hello News" or some of the other iconic themes like CHL (that we know of-looking at you WLCY) weren't used in the Tampa market.

I recall at one point speculations on here that WFLA used Hello News. Possibly they were mishearing this package. The fact that we just found out this was a Gari job makes lots of sense.

I don't think this was mentioned on this thread (you can correct me if I'm wrong). But I want to know who composed this theme. This is from WTTV in the mid-80s.

Vid courtesy of kyndel hewitt from YT

Is this theme based on its station promo "4 The Good Times"? Listen closely.

Vid courtesy of TheClassicSports from YT.

Vid courtesy of Chuck D's Classic TV Playhouse's YT page.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 5:03 PM, Samantha said:

This might be one of my biggest finds this year: The Spirit of Tampa Bay is Gari!

It's rare to find unknown Gari works, but this appears to be one of them. It also appears there is a v2 of this image campaign that debuted in 1983.

From Walt Belcher's April 11, 1983 Tampa Tribune TV column:

This is probably when they launched the "Watch Our Spirit Now" promos with the "Newswatching Out For You" slogan. But as a newscast close from 1984 shows, WXFL didn't stop using the soft instrumental close to close the newscasts. They had so many graphic iterations of promos during The Spirit of Tampa Bay's time. They had the pre-call letter change multi colored logo which was on the trucks, the yellow logo with black background on the mics, and the gold logo with blue background after the call letter change. I think I saw 5 different show promo graphics for the station from 1982-1985 to when they went to the Gannett knockoff graphics and they went with Power News for newscasts and Turn To News for promos.

Edited by jerseyfla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jerseyfla said:

This is probably when they launched the "Watch Our Spirit Now" promos with the "Newswatching Out For You" slogan. But as a newscast close from 1984 shows, WXFL didn't stop using the soft instrumental close to close the newscasts. They had so many graphic iterations of promos during The Spirit of Tampa Bay's time. They had the pre-call letter change multi colored logo which was on the trucks, the yellow logo with black background on the mics, and the gold logo with blue background after the call letter change. I think I saw 5 different show promo graphics for the station from 1982-1985 to when they went to the Gannett knockoff graphics and they went with Power News for newscasts and Turn To News for promos.

The Watch Our Spirit Now promos debuted in April '84. That May they ran a 2-page spread ad in the St. Petersburg Times TV supplement with some of the copy from the ad series...

314115084_ScreenShot2019-09-16at20_45_24.png.63f2a4b1cc36133dfe92492e79660fec.png

• Thanks 1

That's so awesome you found that. I thought I had found all the Tampa Bay TV nostalgia I could find.

For some additional WFLA info, it looks like they started using "Part of Your Life" in 1977 since that's the first appearance of the slogan I could find in the newspapers. I also wonder if there may have been a different theme used between 1979 and 1981 since that slogan disappeared in favor of "Nobody does it better!". 

Edited by 8Viewer

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 4:54 PM, 8Viewer said:

So it sounds like KTVX used the "WCCO 1978 News Theme" but it's not listed in the NMSA. I think it was misidentified as the "WCCO 1983" theme:

The NMSA in general has trouble telling the 'CCO themes of this era apart. (It doesn't help when WCCO's own sister station matched the 85 "Best News of All" imaging with the 83 theme.) Particularly 1978 -> 1983 is an evolution and their similar beds make it worse.

The 1983 theme, which had an accompanying On the Move image, debuted when the station moved into the then-new WCCO Communications Center on September 13.

Edited by Samantha
  • Like 1

Thanks to the American Archive of Public Broadcasting, all episodes of UNC-TV's North Carolina Now from its 1994 premiere through July 31, 1998 are available online for viewing.

In searching the archive, I came across the composer for the original "cheesy 1990s talk show" theme in the credits roll: a company called Scores (not related to Score Productions).

You can see an episode with an nice, long 1-minute closing with the theme here

I can't find any information about Scores... it sounds like this company has been out of business for quite some time. I assume it was North Carolina-based.

Edited by Ntropolis
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

First off, if you want to hear out of circulated firstcom music albums, (not listed on its own website) search thru this japanese music search site i've found while looking for missing tracks https://www.nslibrary.nichion.co.jp/albums?page=1&cat_search=FC-U (change the last alphabet at the end + it'll show you the whole catalogue) much of ESPN NFL Primetime tracks are there (under A) In this case, the KTTV '97 'Good Day LA' Theme is identified as 'Uptown Groove', thru its LA fusion album.  Another track identified is Daytimers (FC-A11: All American hero) used in the NY Lottery drawings in the 90s: 

Edited by justin2kx

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 12:23 PM, REWRetroSuperstation said:

I know its not a news open, but is it me or the WXXA promo jingle sounds more like an Otis Connor track?

Sorry for bumping the thread, but I can actually confirm (via Twitter), that Otis Conner did in fact compose the "Catch the Excitement" jingle for WXXA-TV in Albany.

On 1/5/2020 at 10:29 AM, justin2kx said:

First off, if you want to hear out of circulated firstcom music albums, (not listed on its own website) search thru this japanese music search site i've found while looking for missing tracks https://www.nslibrary.nichion.co.jp/albums?page=1&cat_search=FC-U (change the last alphabet at the end + it'll show you the whole catalogue) much of ESPN NFL Primetime tracks are there (under A) In this case, the KTTV '97 'Good Day LA' Theme is identified as 'Uptown Groove', thru its LA fusion album.  Another track identified is Daytimers (FC-A11: All American hero) used in the NY Lottery drawings in the 90s:

What about the WJKS 1996 Theme "Heroics"? Will able to find that?

10 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

What about the WJKS 1996 Theme "Heroics"? Will able to find that?

I did. Under FC-A18: Logos & Opens,Vol.1 but it lasts as same as the NMSA sample. Main tracks in the CD lasts between 20 + 60 seconds.

15 hours ago, Samantha said:

For someone who's been regarded as a bit elusive by jingle enthusiasts, getting that confirmation is something (I just saw it for myself). Nicely done.

Thank you Samantha. I've picked up on the following:

*The synthesized and Timpani drums

*The 3-5 vocal chorus

Both are in fact signatures of Otis Connor as used on Wipeout and WODS-FM in Boston ("Drake Series '88" and '89 packages)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, REWRetroSuperstation said:

Thank you Samantha. I've picked up on the following:

*The synthesized and Timpani drums

*The 3-5 vocal chorus

Both are in fact signatures of Otis Connor as used on Wipeout and WODS-FM in Boston ("Drake Series '88" and '89 packages)

Yes, I'd suspected Conner too, having heard the KCBS San Francisco "News and More on 74" pack in particular.

Channel37 recently uploaded a number of commercials from ESPN as aired on November 1st, 1981 during a college football game and at 3:19, there is an ESPN SportsCenter Update which features a theme in the opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOHhL5fk6mo

This leads me to this question: Is the ESPN SportsCenter theme from 1981 a production music piece? Someone, please fill me in.

• 4 weeks later...

I am bumping this thread to share with everyone that I have identified a theme for KHJ-TV that was used for its newscasts in 1983. They used TM Productions' "The Production Source" package which contains a number of production music beds. You can go to http://www.jinglesamplers.com/audio/TMProductionSourceDemo1977.mp3 and listen at :25 for the KHJ news theme they used.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Here's a project I had been working on in my off-time and just have neglected to post. It is probably going to be the clearest version of the "Telmundo 1992 News Theme" out there at this time. Apologies for the changes in quality at the very beginning and at the very end, but the clips were both of stereo and mono mix, with a little bit of toying around in Adobe Audition.

Edited by NewsStar2
corrected link
  • Like 4