Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

I'm guessing this must be production music from some European library. WBNS used it from Dec. 1993-June 1996. Looks like WITI used it for promos around 1995 and WTOG used it as a 'breaking news' bed

Edited by 8Viewer

• 2 weeks later...

I need someone to please identify this thematic piece as used on Mazda Sports Look which aired on ESPN in 1986.

You can listen to the theme at 4:19.

I've got one more...American Movie Classics from 1988. Listen for a hint of the WROC early 1980s news theme in the intro.

You can watch the intro at the beginning of the video. But, it begs the question...who did this theme?

Edited by KnoxvilleTVFan
Added an American Movie Classics video from 1988.

Oh, wow! I thought I’d never see that AMC intro again! Someone else posted that open on YT maybe 11-12 years ago (no idea who; that video disappeared at least a decade ago), and I noticed the WROC resemblance even then. (I also have vague memories of the station ID music being similar to WROC’s, but I could be misremembering.) 

I hear a hint of Tuesday in there (the brass and percussion), but my memory suggests that I sent Tom DiNoto audio of the similar WROC theme some years back when I was corresponding with him via email, and he didn’t recognize it.

Edited by TServo2049

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m51U82j-ttY

the best cut of the bumper/headline theme is at 16:58 and it appears this was a full theme as each segment has it's own custom cut.

the NMSA has this theme listed as being a custom composure, however, if there are no other stations who used this theme I was wondering if anyone would be able to identify the artist? I'm asking because this is the newscast that I grew up watching so by default this is my favorite news theme.

Edited by MidnightJunkie

• 2 weeks later...

I went to YouTube just now and saw some news stories about the Wichita Wings indoor soccer team. Well, just to find out, KSNW's 1985 news theme began before 1985. It started out sometime in the early 1980s, say 1983 which is the same time KETV in Omaha used the KSNW theme.

If you watch the video at 9:54, you can hear a few seconds of KSNW's classic news theme. Six seconds later at 10:00, we hear a drum beat in the theme that is reminiscent of the WRAL/KTXL 1982 news theme. So, this leads me to believe that the composer of the KSNW theme may have also done the WRAL/KTXL theme around that timeframe. But...but, I may be wrong plus it is not known who composed the theme.

I am including a video of WRAL's 1982 news theme for comparison. (Drum beat is heard at :34)

Edited by KnoxvilleTVFan

I may have asked Hal Brown some years back about WRAL 1982; if so, he didn’t recognize it, because I’d have told people if I had gotten a composed ID. (VTS did, of course, do WRAL’s next package “The Place to Be.”)

I’d previously theorized that WRAL/KTXL was by the same composer as the KTLA 1982 theme (a company called AdMusic; I got the information by asking some KTLA veterans and have corresponded with one or both of the principals). But IIRC, the former AdMusic writer/co-owner I spoke to  did not recognize it - though he said they did one other station package for a station in Charlotte, I forget if they remembered which one. (Strangely, nobody I have spoken to remembers the KTLA package being used by KSTW, or being syndicated to a bunch of other stations in conjunction with a graphics package. That seems odd, but memory *is* fallible.)

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2019 at 6:47 PM, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

In the video description, I noticed that for the WTVR news open they used WSLS' 1988 news therme. Considering the newscast was recorded back in 1986, it was used way before 1988. And, it may have a name according to YouTube user Channel 37. WTVR used a JDK Music package titled "Shenandoah" due to the fact that the Shenandoah Valley is in Rockingham County in Virginia.

The Shenandoah name I don't have a source on, but it was definitely written for WTVR.

On 8/8/2017 at 1:49 PM, Ntropolis said:

WTVR was using the "WSLS 1988 News Theme" in '86... I'm thinking it was made for them since they were the Roy H. Park flagship station and John Keltonic is out of Richmond. Several years back, WTVR did a Charles Fishburne retrospective and they played a bit of the news open at the time, and it was the same theme used in the WBMG opens.

(That was in response to a newspaper article excerpt I found from 1986 mentioning Keltonic as having composed WTVR's theme of the time.)

Additionally, it appears in ASCAP as "WTVR News Theme". (He also co-wrote the WTHR Rainmaker theme from 615.)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is not about TV: it's about radio, but I think you can help me. These are two bumpers used by Argentine radio station Mitre (AM 790) on its gossip segment that airs twice a day (weekdays at 7am and 4:30pm). I'm not sure if it's production music or not.

49 minutes ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

I am going to share a video with all of you, because I am hoping someone will identify this news theme.

Easy one, that's News 80's by VTS Productions, which was known for years on the NMSA as the WLOX 1989 News Theme.

• 1 month later...

This might be one of my biggest finds this year: The Spirit of Tampa Bay is Gari!

It's rare to find unknown Gari works, but this appears to be one of them. It also appears there is a v2 of this image campaign that debuted in 1983.

From Walt Belcher's April 11, 1983 Tampa Tribune TV column:

Getting the spirit going

Remember the jingle WXFL introduced last year to go with the "Spirit of Tampa Bay" campaign? Well, it has begun to wear a little thin, so Channel 8 news consultant Diana Richardson went back to the original composer, Frank Gari, a New York musician who has done a lot of work for ABC, and got him to punch it up. Gari added a few horns, a drum beat and increased the tempo. The result is that the "Spirit of Tampa Bay" no longer sounds like elevator music.

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Samantha said:

This might be one of my biggest finds this year: The Spirit of Tampa Bay is Gari!

It's rare to find unknown Gari works, but this appears to be one of them. It also appears there is a v2 of this image campaign that debuted in 1983.

The horn sections in this close do scream Gari:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Samantha said:

I remember speculating quite a long time ago that SOTB was a Gari composition. I must have said that on YouTube or something, though, because I can’t find me saying that here. The instrumentation in many cuts sound a lot like Hello News; still others sound like So Good To Turn To. I guess I’m not crazy after all.

• Like 2