Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

Not exactly discovered...but five seconds into this Mitsubishi commercial you get the first 5 notes of the Enforcer / I Love Chicago signature.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dV2U/2018-mitsubishi-eclipse-cross-keys

Though in this case the music is a take on an 80s Twisted Sister song.

I do hear it a little bit.

• Like 2

An ID with that music has been circulating for years, on a compilation of assorted IDs and commercials that has been floating around since the early 2000s. (Genius7277 uploaded it in chunks on YouTube years back, it's still up and the KXAS ID is in there.)

I've been waiting to hear this theme beyond the 5-second ID for 15 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Turned up this letter to the editor from a 1990 edition of the Paducah Sun:

EDITOR: Thank you for the article on my friend, George Cumbee, on your Sunday Money page. The article was well written by Bruce Gardner and it points out how varied the business community of western Kentucky really is, but the article didn't tell that George Cumbee is a well-loved and highly respected gentleman. Those of us in the music and promotion business love George like a brother. He is more than fair with every person he deals with and has a deep concern for his fellow man. George Cumbee has a great deal of credits behind him as an audio engineer for stars like Roy Clark, Pat Boone and many others. He produces musical sound tracks for many theme parks across the country and for a theme park outside Paris, France. George produced the popular "WPSD Cares About You" theme and he has handled the sound for the WPSD-Lion's Club telethon for several years. Many self-contained musical groups from all over the country come to Paducah to record their albums at Audio Creations. The. list eoes on and on. I hope you'll continue to seek out other highly interesting business personalities who are not in the retail field for your Sunday Money page.

OCR mangled the order, but there's an even more interesting 1991 article in here somewhere. It mentions Dan Steele — WPSD's operations and program manager! — who appears on the Copyright Office listing for WPSD Cares About You, and says he composed the work. (No sign of Forrest Turner, though.)

There are also two mentions of a Stephanie Hall (née Cratch) who is the main female vocalist for the image song. She also did singing work in Nashville as well as some national commercials as a model (!).

There's a surprising amount of detail for market size here - probably helps the two have been co-owned for decades.

———

Speaking of Nashville, from the April 3, 1986 edition of The Tennessean... Looks like they had THREE composers!

Channel 5 changes its tune

Just when you could whistle Friends You Can Turn To in your sleep, WTVF-Channel 5 Is getting ready to play a new, station-wide promotional tune. This time, Channel 5 will be singing the praises of The New South Spirit. And its new station theme, "We Share the Spirit", will be in keeping with that tune. "We're still 'friends you can turn to,'" WTVF promotion director Norm Woodel was quick to point out "We've positioned ourselves as a station that cares about the community. This is an extension of that philosophy." The theme song is the result of a collaboration between Woodel, songwriter Alan Ross of Rincon Productions, Gene Clark of Spotland Productions and Leonard Wolf of On the Spot Music. And then there's the final and very key element: vocals by Nashville singer Karen Taylor-Good. Nominated for honors as 1985's Top New Female Vocalist by the Academy of Country Music, Taylor-Good has recorded several national ad jingles including United Airlines, Allstate Insurance, Taco Bell and Lowenbrau beer. Woodel said he's now busy preparing the video to accompany the "bright upbeat contemporary" audio, and plans to have all the pieces in place for a Monday, April 14 launch.

Worth noting: the open video we have is from the very first day of the new theme! (Unfortunately, nashvilletv.org is still actually down.) The custom work wound up being sorta folded into TM's Spirit campaign.

• Like 3

Speaking of things I wanna know... Who wrote this bad boy? It would have debuted in the fall of '87 and is probably related to the KGUN 1988-94 theme.

There is a shot of jingle singers toward the end — anyone recognize them?

• Like 3

Although it's already "discovered"... I'm pulling up the Otis Conner WROC/WXII theme again.

Listen closely to the melody in the background of this WXII promo from 1988...

This was during the era they were using the "remixed" Wall to Wall arranged by Conner, but that's definitely the exact same melody as

that's regarded as separate. Could it be the same package, or is it more likely that Conner was recycling the melody for the "Wall to Wall remix" now that we know the "WROC theme" existed in 1987 (KOB)? Is there more to the story about the WXII/WYFF remix?
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a late Canadian selection...

The CFCF Pulse theme debuted in September 1997 was written by Peter McLaughlin of Montreal.

The theme was the successor to Total News for CFCF, as demonstrated by this June 20, 1996 edition of Pulse:

———

Not quite a composer, but worth noting. The date is 12/21/79, so the theme mentioned is News People???

"He was, for example, largely responsible for the new set and opening-credit sequence on Channel 2's newscasts. ([Paul] Paolicelli, who used to be a trumpet player, even wrote part of the new theme music.) Before coming to Atlanta, Paolicelli was a consultant with Frank Magid Associates, the based TV news consultant firm that has, rightly or wrongly, become identified with the trend in local newscasts toward "cosmetics" over substance."

• Like 1

Here's a late Canadian selection...

The CFCF Pulse theme debuted in September 1997 was written by Peter McLaughlin of Montreal.

The theme was the successor to Total News for CFCF, as demonstrated by this June 20, 1996 edition of Pulse:

———

Not quite a composer, but worth noting. The date is 12/21/79, so the theme mentioned is News People???

"He was, for example, largely responsible for the new set and opening-credit sequence on Channel 2's newscasts. ([Paul] Paolicelli, who used to be a trumpet player, even wrote part of the new theme music.) Before coming to Atlanta, Paolicelli was a consultant with Frank Magid Associates, the based TV news consultant firm that has, rightly or wrongly, become identified with the trend in local newscasts toward "cosmetics" over substance."

I think it’s talking about the supposed WSB 1980 Theme (the one BEFORE 2 Steps Ahead).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

(NON-NEWS) I've been checking the Edd Kalehoff library site these days, and there are some sport themes that share the same signature. It reminds me of Fox's iconic NFL theme. Do you know if it was used by any network/station in particular?

https://kalehoff.sourceaudio.com/#!details?id=13429859

https://kalehoff.sourceaudio.com/#!details?id=13429870

https://kalehoff.sourceaudio.com/#!details?id=13597188

• Like 2

(NON-NEWS) I've been checking the Edd Kalehoff library site these days, and there are some sport themes that share the same signature. It reminds me of Fox's iconic NFL theme. Do you know if it was used by any network/station in particular?

https://kalehoff.sourceaudio.com/#!details?id=13429859

https://kalehoff.sourceaudio.com/#!details?id=13429870

https://kalehoff.sourceaudio.com/#!details?id=13597188

Don't go looking in TV:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure that this ABC Sports theme was composed by Edd Kalehoff, but I can't find it on his library:

That arrangement has Kalehoff's name all over it (especially the brass). I'm not sure, but it *may* be in the Museum of Television Production Music vault. Kalehoff's work is quite well-represented in there in relation to most other composers! The membership would be well worth it (especially with all the other things in there).

• Like 5

I'm sure that this ABC Sports theme was composed by Edd Kalehoff, but I can't find it on his library:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h=2;id=7-gQ1S5Mmq0;m=30;s=34

(starts at 2:30:34, and it's very beautiful!)

That arrangement has Kalehoff's name all over it (especially the brass). I'm not sure, but it *may* be in the Museum of Television Production Music vault. Kalehoff's work is quite well-represented in there in relation to most other composers! The membership would be well worth it (especially with all the other things in there).

It's EXTREMELY likely. Kalehoff has had a relationship with ABC since the 1980s, and helped to compose the updated reorchestration to the Johnny Pearson classic "Heavy Action" which has been the theme to MNF for eons. He may have also played a hand in the original Hank Williams Jr. "All My Rowdy Friends are Here on Monday Night" and not the more recent bastardization with Florida Georgia Line as backup singers.

Now, that theme is available on the NMSA, identified as the "KTAL 1997 News Theme". I still think, though, that the theme is actually production music. Hopefully, now that we have a sample of it, the composer can be identified.

Further proof the "KTAL 1997 News Theme" is really just production music (heard in the first 30 seconds):

• Like 5

It's EXTREMELY likely. Kalehoff has had a relationship with ABC since the 1980s, and helped to compose the updated reorchestration to the Johnny Pearson classic "Heavy Action" which has been the theme to MNF for eons. He may have also played a hand in the original Hank Williams Jr. "All My Rowdy Friends are Here on Monday Night" and not the more recent bastardization with Florida Georgia Line as backup singers.

It's from Kalehoff, I can confirm. I've listened to it pre-paywall and have loved it. Wished i've downloaded for you guys to hear. It's either "Bravo Charlie" or "Alpha Charlie". I'll ask TVPMM if and when they could restore the files because they're missing. It's under the ABC Sports banner in the sports section.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...