Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

There is an ASCAP registration for "Real News Theme" by John Bauers, which also shows an alternate title "KCOP Theme." There's also a copyright registration for "Real News Theme", with John Bauers listed as author, and dated 1993. I'd guess that it's the same theme you're asking about.

That would be it. I found his old Flash-based website, it has KCOP's UPN-era logo (the round one) there, so he may have composed for them into the UPN era; stuff from KCOP in general is pretty scarce, so I can't say for sure. I also sent him an invitation on LinkedIn; hopefully then I can ask him if he has any clean cuts laying around.

I was lost in a Youtube surfing time warp and stumbled upon a random anchor/reporter's channel. After going through a few of his videos, has has some rare footage of WTOK in Mississippi from 1990 with an unknown theme for their close. I've never heard it before, and to me, doesn't sound like generic production music. Also @Pine Belt Media will probably enjoy seeing Roslyn Anderson, who appears at the beginning of the video. Someone who has a channel should contact him to upload an open or full newscasts if he has any. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=wj-ZSnh5X6Y;m=5;s=25
  • Like 3

Your Friend 4 — wait a minute, Oregon? We're not in Greenville anymore...

So I'm a little conflicted here. This is reported as being VTS. But boy oh boy, this is so un-VTS-y. Both stations were Peters clients. Is there a relation?

I dunno, this doesn't sound like Peters to me. This sounds more Dallas, the vocals on the WYFF version sound kind of Dallas to me.

I think WYFF is on Peters' client list for the original Your Friend 4 (possibly connected to KTVO's "Your Friend 3" which was also definitely Peters). Dunno about KTVL...

• Like 2

I dunno, this doesn't sound like Peters to me. This sounds more Dallas, the vocals on the WYFF version sound kind of Dallas to me.

I think WYFF is on Peters' client list for the original Your Friend 4 (possibly connected to KTVO's "Your Friend 3" which was also definitely Peters). Dunno about KTVL...

Yeah, then it makes sense that it's VTS.

More precisely, here's the Fresno Bee article from January 25, 1988:

Channel 26 today unveils an on-air make over based on the theme, "We're your station," and becomes the third Fresno station broadcasting in stereophonic sound. For the past four years, the station's ID's have featured scenic views of the valley with contemporary looking animation and logo. But all that's a thing of the past as the station today begins running new visuals, which utilize textures and earth-tone and soft-shade colors. The new look is complemented by new theme music composed and orchestrated by Mike Dana Music of Fresno.

The Channel 26 package includes a new station logo, a more classic typeface; new openings for the "Cinema 26 Prime Movie" that runs Monday through Saturday at 8 p.m. and for all the other movie packages on the station; and a redesign of the "10 O'Clock News" set backgrounds.

• Like 1

Neil Diamond best known for many famous songs including,

Tap Root Manuscript: The African Suite, which has been on a few television stations anounces he has Parkinson's disease.

http://variety.com/2018/music/news/neil-diamond-announces-retirement-from-touring-after-parkinsons-disease-diagnosis-1202673321/

• Like 2

More precisely, here's the Fresno Bee article from January 25, 1988:

I guess TVbD was left unnamed due to not being local.

Unfortunately, there's not much footage of KMPH's non-news image elements online, but I happen to have an ID followed by a stereo L3 graphic at the beginning of a program, which I got on VHS almost 20 years ago. I believe the same person sent the Fresno clips to TV Ark back in the 00s.

The ID music is great, and the announcer even says "Now in stereo!"

• Like 3

I guess TVbD was left unnamed due to not being local.

Unfortunately, there's not much footage of KMPH's non-news image elements online, but I happen to have an ID followed by a stereo L3 graphic at the beginning of a program, which I got on VHS almost 20 years ago. I believe the same person sent the Fresno clips to TV Ark back in the 00s.

The ID music is great, and the announcer even says "Now in stereo!"

It's too bad the few clips that are around are the TVArk ones and a few with the camera pointed at a TV. It does sound like a really nice package.

These are some examples from a YouTube page with the aformentioned camera pointed at a TV. The user's titles hint at 1989-90 even though they are from the same feature.

Station ID / Cinema 26 Primetime Open

A couple of movie bumpers and a news tease near the end of this clip

Station ID and Movie Bump on this one

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Bored and skimming through DeWolfe's archives, I found the NMSA-listed WTVF 1987 News Theme is actually a production cut called "Briefing"

http://www.dewolfemusic.com/trackdetail.php#!/?id=10922786&code=TermE7

That theme use was discovered after I audited DeWolfe, so it makes sense that I wouldn't have caught it then.

I'm not familiar with that disc. Some of Pathfinder sounds familiar, too...

• Like 3

It's too bad the few clips that are around are the TVArk ones and a few with the camera pointed at a TV. It does sound like a really nice package.

These are some examples from a YouTube page with the aformentioned camera pointed at a TV. The user's titles hint at 1989-90 even though they are from the same feature.

Station ID / Cinema 26 Primetime Open

A couple of movie bumpers and a news tease near the end of this clip

Station ID and Movie Bump on this one

I'd say before 1995--that old '20th Television Fox' is rarely seen on television now.

• Like 1

[quote name='promoguy98']I was lost in a Youtube surfing time warp and stumbled upon a random anchor/reporter's channel. After going through a few of his videos, has has some rare footage of WTOK in Mississippi from 1990 with an unknown theme for their close. I've never heard it before, and to me, doesn't sound like generic production music. Also @Pine Belt Media will probably enjoy seeing Roslyn Anderson, who appears at the beginning of the video. Someone who has a channel should contact him to upload an open or full newscasts if he has any. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=wj-ZSnh5X6Y;m=5;s=25[/QUOTE] Listen to this open (unfortunately slathered in director's track)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=ybRRrsOUotM;t=136 There's a close at the end too that's less smothered. It's clearly the same theme. It's a good one, too!
  • Like 1

Listen to this open (unfortunately slathered in director's track)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=ybRRrsOUotM;t=136

There's a close at the end too that's less smothered. It's clearly the same theme. It's a good one, too!

Agree Raymie that it's a good one and awesome that you found another station using this one! It appears the close on WTOK's piece started about where the close ended on the KIMT video. I like how the close piece started, interesting open and cool sax bumper for weather. My guesses on the composers would be Peters? even though it wasn't in his montages? Tuesday or Silvertree? It doesn't sound like VTS to me, but the close piece reminds me of Tuesday in some way.... so there may not be many leads on this one.

The signature definitely sounds like it could have an image to it.

Neither station used Peters or Silvertree, so those theories are out.

I wonder if this might be Tuesday...some of the instrumentation reminds me of the later Tuesday stuff and the Network Industrials...

• Like 1

I'm pretty certain that the theme listed as "KHTV 1989 News Theme" is just one of the cuts from the music package that KHTV and and the other Gaylord Broadcasting stations were using starting some time in 1988 or 1989. I've been curious about who did it for years though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=JzIRG8EFXd8;m=1;s=1

An example from KTVT using it

Maybe it is tied to the one listed as "WVTV 1987 News Theme" as well? Clips from the station's news updates from the period feature both playing in the background.

• 3 weeks later...